Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RMIT hires from abroad?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sushikurva

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: RMIT hires from abroad? Reply with quote

Last edited by sushikurva on Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
skarper

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are possible - also with 15 years experience you may be too old.

Another thing is some of the people doing the hiring may have had issues before with overqualified applicants who know more than the management - and if you are a strong applicant then that could ring alarm bells.

Only guesswork - I have no direct experience of applying to RMIT.
toiyeuthitmeo

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some familiarity with RMIT's "hiring profile." An attractive candidate is in Vietnam already, with 1-4 years post-CELTA teaching experience in Vietnam, and is in their 20s or 30s. Of course there are exceptions to this.

They seem to like the 1-4 year post-CELTA range because these candidates have a nice enough foundation to develop, have proven they can hack it in Vietnam, but are not so experienced as to be closed off to RMIT's methodological ideals.

I know Americans, Aussies, Canadians, and Brits teaching at RMIT so I'm not sure that they have any nationality discrimination. Surely they are less inclined to hire from non-native speaking countries.
TamLu

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of which, has anyone heard back from them lately? Abroad or natively?
kurtz

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to hear from some actual teachers from RMIT; past or present . One of the comments on here seems to make a mockery of the high esteem many members give the school. As a school with one of the highest pay rates in the country, their alleged "profile" seems to be that of a glorified mill. So is it then? Have the people who work for RMIT lulled themselves into thinking that they are in fact better than they actually are? Just thinking out aloud, no need for any hate mail in my inbox.

For the record, there were a couple of guys in my block of apartments who proudly donned their RMIT helmets and backpacks, and they were both in their 40s.

I have a slight inclination to do a stint in the south at RMIT, but the thought of rubbing shoulders with people in their 20s isn't very pleasant. I would be interested to know if they hire from abroad though.
toiyeuthitmeo

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my intent to make a mockery of RMIT. Their facilities are excellent, their teaching and management staff includes quite a few MA and Delta qualified teachers, and their resources are second-to-none! I can absolutely confirm that in the past few years, they've taken to hiring many people in the profile I describe. Rather than a glorified mill, they are kind of letting the mill weed out the losers, and snapping up the ones who decide they want to get more serious with teaching.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:
It would be nice to hear from some actual teachers from RMIT; past or present.

You rang? Smile

kutz wrote:
One of the comments on here seems to make a mockery of the high esteem many members give the school. As a school with one of the highest pay rates in the country, their alleged "profile" seems to be that of a glorified mill. So is it then? Have the people who work for RMIT lulled themselves into thinking that they are in fact better than they actually are? Just thinking out aloud, no need for any hate mail in my inbox.

For the record, there were a couple of guys in my block of apartments who proudly donned their RMIT helmets and backpacks, and they were both in their 40s.

I have a slight inclination to do a stint in the south at RMIT, but the thought of rubbing shoulders with people in their 20s isn't very pleasant. I would be interested to know if they hire from abroad though.

I can tell you emphatically that RMIT is not a "glorified mill" and, whilst the bureaucracy gets up my snout sometimes, it's a professional organization and the teaching is taken very seriously! Also the facilities and resources are first-rate. In regards to the age of the teachers, there are some in their twenties and some in their early sixties and everything in between. If you want to apply for a position in Saigon kurtz then I'd highly recommend it. Most of the hiring seems to be done within Vietnam, but, there have been successful overseas applicants.
deadlift

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing to understand is that there are two tiers in the RMIT program, Instructor and Educator.

Instructor is the lower paid position ($3200, I think) and typically is for those that are less experienced with an EAP curriculum. As Toiteuthitmeo said, they generally take the stronger/more serious teachers from the mills for these positions. A lot of ex-ILA and ex-ACET at RMIT. There was one time, a few years back, were they took a whole group of Pass A recipients straight off their ILA CELTA, but that was a unique situation.

Educator is the higher paid position ($4200ish) and comes with extra responsibilities. Typically these people with have higher qualifications, solid experience, and/or proven themselves internally. Educators are often hired from overseas.

There is no age or nationality bias.

But overseas or not, RMIT simply isn't doing much hiring this year.
kurtz

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toiyeuthitmeo wrote:
Not my intent to make a mockery of RMIT. Their facilities are excellent, their teaching and management staff includes quite a few MA and Delta qualified teachers, and their resources are second-to-none! I can absolutely confirm that in the past few years, they've taken to hiring many people in the profile I describe. Rather than a glorified mill, they are kind of letting the mill weed out the losers, and snapping up the ones who decide they want to get more serious with teaching.

You seem to have done a bit of a backflip. You've gone from saying RMIT hire teachers with 1-4 years experience; teachers who are malleable, and now you're throwing around Delta trained teachers and those with an MA who wear the red and black backpack to work. Question
kurtz

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadlift wrote:
The first thing to understand is that there are two tiers in the RMIT program, Instructor and Educator.

Instructor is the lower paid position ($3200, I think) and typically is for those that are less experienced with an EAP curriculum. As Toiteuthitmeo said, they generally take the stronger/more serious teachers from the mills for these positions. A lot of ex-ILA and ex-ACET at RMIT. There was one time, a few years back, were they took a whole group of Pass A recipients straight off their ILA CELTA, but that was a unique situation.

Educator is the higher paid position ($4200ish) and comes with extra responsibilities. Typically these people with have higher qualifications, solid experience, and/or proven themselves internally. Educators are often hired from overseas.

There is no age or nationality bias.

But overseas or not, RMIT simply isn't doing much hiring this year.

Thanks for clearing that up.
kurtz

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
kurtz wrote:
It would be nice to hear from some actual teachers from RMIT; past or present.

You rang? Smile

kutz wrote:
One of the comments on here seems to make a mockery of the high esteem many members give the school. As a school with one of the highest pay rates in the country, their alleged "profile" seems to be that of a glorified mill. So is it then? Have the people who work for RMIT lulled themselves into thinking that they are in fact better than they actually are? Just thinking out aloud, no need for any hate mail in my inbox.

I can tell you emphatically that RMIT is not a "glorified mill" and, whilst the bureaucracy gets up my snout sometimes, it's a professional organization and the teaching is taken very seriously! Also the facilities and resources are first-rate. In regards to the age of the teachers, there are some in their twenties and some in their early sixties and everything in between. If you want to apply for a position in Saigon kurtz then I'd highly recommend it. Most of the hiring seems to be done within Vietnam, but, there have been successful overseas applicants.

Hi Sarge,

Not sure about another Vietnam stint, but thanks for the heads up.

I guess from time to time schools get a little desperate, even RMIT. I know of one person in particular who was basically going to get the sack from a mill; they left their job and next thing I knew they were hired by RMIT. This person was an absolute mental case, so you will will have to excuse my cynicism.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:

Hi Sarge,

Not sure about another Vietnam stint, but thanks for the heads up.

I guess from time to time schools get a little desperate, even RMIT. I know of one person in particular who was basically going to get the sack from a mill; they left their job and next thing I knew they were hired by RMIT. This person was an absolute mental case, so you will will have to excuse my cynicism.

You're welcome. I'm certainly not going to argue that every teacher at RMIT is a shining inspiration that embodies the classical spirit of education. Of course, RMIT makes mistakes in recruitment - just like any large organization. Having said that, there are a lot of excellent teachers there, but, in fairness, I should note that I also worked with many excellent teachers at ACET too. I'm positive there are also great teachers at Apollo, Language Link etc.

However, where RMIT has the advantage, is they can offer conditions that are very attractive to applicants from other schools. Although it is not always, it is extremely common for the best teachers who wish to stay in Vietnam [along with many of the mediocre and bad] eventually to end up applying to RMIT and, assuming there are vacancies, usually those guys are snapped up, [along with a few that probably shouldn't have been]. Like deadlift said, most of the RMIT instructors paid their dues at less well-paid schools and, after getting the experience, they made the jump to RMIT. That's what I did and I'm not the only one. Geez, I'm now working with eight people at RMIT who I also worked with when I was at ACET. You can think what you like about those "who wear red and black backpacks to work", but, the fact remains that, generally speaking, people don't quit RMIT to work in another school in Vietnam. They quit because they no longer want to stay in Vietnam. How people vote with their feet in a workplace is very revealing and, whilst I know you never said otherwise kurtz, as far as TEFL gigs go, RMIT is a very good place to work.
sushikurva

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by sushikurva on Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
montblanc20

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied while in Vietnam and I heard nothing. The thing to do it seems is to teach for a while at the centers mentioned. I was reading the blog of a guy who has been teaching at RMIT for two or three years. I think Vietnam was his first Asian country and teaching experience. He did the CELTA and worked at ILA and another school for a year and then got the RMIT job. Late twenties now early thirties.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sushikurva wrote:

1st Sgt Welsh- any idea if it's safe to assume that applications submitted for 2/5 May closing dates are no longer being considered?

The talk on the street is that things are really up-in-the-air at the moment and that RMIT is not doing their usual mid-year recruitment. As deadlift mentioned, RMIT probably won't be doing that much recruiting this year. I don't know what the official position is, but, that's just what I've heard. Sorry I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but, if you'd like something a bit more concrete, I'd probably fire off an e-mail to HR. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: