Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which middle eastern country is the easiest to get into?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucifer911

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Which middle eastern country is the easiest to get into? Reply with quote

Obviously Saudi Arabia and UAE are the 2 most difficult and competitive I was wondering what other middle eastern countries are good to work in if I wish to save money?

Would online qualifications BA, MA in AL, Celta and 1 year of TEFL experience land me a job in any of these regions - Bahrain, Yemen, Kuwait, Israel? maybe even Iraq if it becomes more stable.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Online ? Not in Kuwait. Bahrain has very few jobs. Yemen has very few jobs and is not stable. Iraq ????? Extremely unsafe for foreigners. Israel ? Only if you go under the "Right of Return" which is an option for those who can prove that they are Jewish.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Which middle eastern country is the easiest to get into? Reply with quote

lucifer911 wrote:
Would online qualifications BA, MA in AL, Celta and 1 year of TEFL experience land me a job in any of these regions - Bahrain, Yemen, Kuwait, Israel? maybe even Iraq if it becomes more stable.

That's a question to ask when you're near the end of your MA, especially since requirements can/do change. But for now, you still have two years left to complete your BA. Keep in mind you'll need post-graduate degree teaching experience (university level)---at least 2-3 years' worth---to secure one of the better positions in the Gulf. Also, some employers may be fine with an online MA but might be put off when they see that most of your education---BA and MA---was completed via distance learning.

However, to answer your questions in regard to the current situation...

- Bahrain is tiny and doesn't offer much in the way of teaching jobs.
- Yemen is still unstable---the situation isn't improving. Ditto for Egypt and especially Iraq.
- Israel has so many Brits and North Americans who have emigrated there and/or hold natural dual citizenship; there's no need to advertise abroad for teachers.
- Saudi Arabia and Qatar don't accept degrees earned online. I suspect Kuwait will follow suit if it hasn't done so already.
- The UAE requires a related MA + 3 years of experience gained after completion of the MA.
- Oman might be a possibility but seems to lean toward requiring a relevant BA & MA. That said, a BA in English would serve you better than one in English Lit.
lucifer911

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Which middle eastern country is the easiest to get into? Reply with quote

thanks Nomad I ask these questions now so I get a better idea of which subjects and majors to enrol in for my current studies - long term planning I guess. I do hope one day these unstable regions (Iraq, Yemen, Syria) become peaceful again.

nomad soul wrote:
lucifer911 wrote:

That's a question to ask when you're near the end of your MA, especially since requirements can/do change. But for now, you still have two years left to complete your BA. Keep in mind you'll need post-graduate degree teaching experience (university level)---at least 2-3 years' worth---to secure one of the better positions in the Gulf. Also, some employers may be fine with an online MA but might be put off when they see that most of your education---BA and MA---was completed via distance learning.

However, to answer your questions in regard to the current situation...

- Bahrain is tiny and doesn't offer much in the way of teaching jobs.
- Yemen is still unstable---the situation isn't improving. Ditto for Egypt and especially Iraq.
- Israel has so many Brits and North Americans who have emigrated there and/or hold natural dual citizenship; there's no need to advertise abroad for teachers.
- Saudi Arabia and Qatar don't accept degrees earned online. I suspect Kuwait will follow suit if it hasn't done so already.
- The UAE requires a related MA + 3 years of experience gained after completion of the MA.
- Oman might be a possibility but seems to lean toward requiring a relevant BA & MA. That said, a BA in English would serve you better than one in English Lit.
El Hobo

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Which middle eastern country is the easiest to get into? Reply with quote

lucifer911 wrote:
maybe even Iraq if it becomes more stable.

Iraqi-Kurdistan is very safe and stable (with the exception of the economy); the rest of Iraq is crazy dangerous. It's also very easy to find a job here. I'm very happy here, more so than I would have imagined.
El Hobo

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Which middle eastern country is the easiest to get into? Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

I disagree. I wouldn't risk working in Yemen; Egypt's safe for foreigners and Northern Iraq is very safe - the whole country is not bedlam, as one might assume.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Which middle eastern country is the easiest to get into? Reply with quote

El Hobo wrote:
Iraqi-Kurdistan is very safe and stable

As long as the areas near the borders of Syria and Iran are avoided.
El Hobo

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Which middle eastern country is the easiest to get into? Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
El Hobo wrote:
Iraqi-Kurdistan is very safe and stable

As long as the areas near the borders of Syria and Iran are avoided.

The areas near the border of Iran are very safe, as long as you're not hiking through the land-mined mountains. The areas bordering Syria, be they in Iraq or the other neighbouring countries, are certainly dangerous and should be avoided.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Which middle eastern country is the easiest to get into? Reply with quote

El Hobo wrote:
The areas near the border of Iran are very safe, as long as you're not hiking through the land-mined mountains. The areas bordering Syria, be they in Iraq or the other neighbouring countries, are certainly dangerous and should be avoided.

All of the north needs to be carefully watched from now on.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISIS taking over Mosul doesn't bode well for Kurdistan...

VS
2buckets

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Hobo wrote:

Iraqi-Kurdistan is very safe and stable (with the exception of the economy); the rest of Iraq is crazy dangerous. It's also very easy to find a job here. I'm very happy here, more so than I would have imagined.

"Frankly, I just don't believe you."
returnee2014

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are spreading panic. The US is moving it's people to Erbil, because it's safe. The updated warning specifically mentions Sulaymaniya and Erbil as relatively stable areas. The British have no warnings out for these provinces.

That's the official word and that's what makes sense with the events on the ground. Komar starts school 7/7 and you still have time to get there by 7/1. There is no visa requirement and the medical is easy. Reachable by direct flight to Sulaymaniyah international (ISU) from Istanbul.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

returnee2014 wrote:
You guys are spreading misinformation.

No one is "spreading misinformation" given these posts reflect the situation from a week ago. By the way, keep in mind embassy staff are extremely well-protected; whereas, the common expat is not, so it's best to not compare your situation to theirs.

returnee2014 wrote:
Komar starts school 7/7 and you still have time to get there by 7/1.

Who is this statement for? Are you advertising for this school?
El Hobo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
ISIS taking over Mosul doesn't bode well for Kurdistan...

VS

Quite the opposite; most Kurds I know couldn't be happier about it. They're closer to independence now than they've ever been.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/davidblair/100276799/when-the-iraq-crisis-passes-the-kurds-will-be-the-big-winners/
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Hobo:

Why don't you continue your political discussion in the thread: "Mosul. Next Stop Baghdad" (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=107426) on the current events forum. Otherwise, this thread will likely end up getting locked just like the other one.

Last edited by nomad soul on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: