Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How can I get EU passport if my father was born in Croatia?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucifer911

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject: How can I get EU passport if my father was born in Croatia? Reply with quote

I was born in Australia. My father escaped Croatia during Yugoslavia period.. but he doesn't have his birth certificate on him.

How can I help him get his certificate? on my birth certificate it says his birth place in Croatia. My mother is Australian.

Has anyone managed to get their EU passport without fathers or mothers birth certificate? I am just concerned if I don't get hold of his birth certificate now I may not have a chance in the future. My father has not travelled outside Australia for this reason.

Thoughts?
grahamb

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Birth certificate Reply with quote

Surely the Croatian consulate in Australia would be the obvious starting point?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone who may be able to help. I'll PM you.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a Croatian passport not an EU passport. Documents are issued by the individual stats of the EU.
lucifer911

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I hold a croatian passport this means I can teach english in all countries of the EU without needing a work visa correct?

scot47 wrote:
It would be a Croatian passport not an EU passport. Documents are issued by the individual stats of the EU.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Not necessarily. Each country can make its own rules regarding whether citizens of (newer) member states are eligible for visa-free working status. Croatia is quite new; it is likely that some western European countries still impose restrictions.

However, it would certainly widen your prospects in Europe overall, and ultimately would give you ingress to all EU countries (though as noted above this may be a few years down the road).

Keep in mind that Europe is NOT a lucrative EFL market, though, regardless of quals and passport, particularly if one wants to do it nomad-style.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Hmmm. Not necessarily. Each country can make its own rules regarding whether citizens of (newer) member states are eligible for visa-free working status. Croatia is quite new; it is likely that some western European countries still impose restrictions.

However, it would certainly widen your prospects in Europe overall, and ultimately would give you ingress to all EU countries (though as noted above this may be a few years down the road).

Keep in mind that Europe is NOT a lucrative EFL market, though, regardless of quals and passport, particularly if one wants to do it nomad-style.

Agreed, this is up to date:

"Nationals of Croatia

Your right to work as an employee in another EU country may be restricted by transitional arrangements until 30 June 2020.

You may need a work permit to work in these countries:

Austria, Greece, Slovenia, Belgium, Italy, Spain, Cyprus, Luxembourg, UK, France, Malta, Germany and the Netherlands."

You will also find that some of these countries also require tefl teachers to have at least some knowledge of the host country language. As Spiral has said the cash is not always great, split shifts are common, rents can be high, especially in the capitals which is where most of the work is, and tax and national insurance can eat into earnings.

However if you really want to live in Europe then good luck!
DosEquisX

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like your chances in Poland, Czech Republic, and Hungary OP.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, CEE is open with a passport from Croatia. Not high on the pay scales, though.
lucifer911

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the rule is whenever Croatia decides to update their passport to a burgundy cover then they will be eligible for VISA free status in more EU countries. Currently their passport has a blue cover unlike all the other EU members who all use red / burgundy passport covers. This could take a few years but by the time I am done with degree and ready to apply for jobs hopefully they will have updated their passport.

It is mainly the CEE countries which appeal to me despite the average pay. Czech, Hungary and Slovakia are countries I would like to work in.

Here is a list of EU passports if you are curious. Scroll to the bottom and you can see croatian passport is the only blue passport Smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passports_of_the_European_Union

spiral78 wrote:

lucifer911

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.. it will take some time but I think the idea is when Croatia update their passport to match similar passports of other european countries then they will be eligible for VISA free status. You will find all the european passports are red / burgundy colour except Croatia.

At the moment it is mainly the eastern european countries which appeal to me. Scroll to the bottom of this page if you are curious to see what euro member passports look like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passports_of_the_European_Union

MuscatGary wrote:
spiral78 wrote:

Agreed, this is up to date:

"Nationals of Croatia

Your right to work as an employee in another EU country may be restricted by transitional arrangements until 30 June 2020.

You may need a work permit to work in these countries:

Austria, Greece, Slovenia, Belgium, Italy, Spain, Cyprus, Luxembourg, UK, France, Malta, Germany and the Netherlands."

You will also find that some of these countries also require tefl teachers to have at least some knowledge of the host country language. As Spiral has said the cash is not always great, split shifts are common, rents can be high, especially in the capitals which is where most of the work is, and tax and national insurance can eat into earnings.

However if you really want to live in Europe then good luck!
DosEquisX

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get my Irish passport through my grandmother. It took over 2 years to gather all of the paperwork (took 9 months for the US State Department to hand over my grandmother's expired Irish passport).

Since you're only one generation lower, the process should be much shorter for you. However, it won't be cheap and won't be incredibly fast.
lucifer911

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks... not in a huge rush to get Croatian passport I am more concerned with obtaining fathers birth certificate for now. When I have solid TEFL qualifications I will pursue Croatian passport.

DosEquisX wrote:
I was able to get my Irish passport through my grandmother. It took over 2 years to gather all of the paperwork (took 9 months for the US State Department to hand over my grandmother's expired Irish passport).

Since you're only one generation lower, the process should be much shorter for you. However, it won't be cheap and won't be incredibly fast.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucifer911 wrote:
I think the rule is whenever Croatia decides to update their passport to a burgundy cover then they will be eligible for VISA free status in more EU countries. Currently their passport has a blue cover unlike all the other EU members who all use red / burgundy passport covers. This could take a few years but by the time I am done with degree and ready to apply for jobs hopefully they will have updated their passport.

Colour of passport is irrelevant. Each EU country has the right to impose restrictions on Croatian nationals for up to 7 years after accession. The colour of the passport or identity card is absolutely irrelevant in this case.
DosEquisX

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucifer911 wrote:
thanks... not in a huge rush to get Croatian passport I am more concerned with obtaining fathers birth certificate for now. When I have solid TEFL qualifications I will pursue Croatian passport.

DosEquisX wrote:

I stand corrected. It was my Irish citizenship that took 2 years. The passport took far less time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: