Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How can I get EU passport if my father was born in Croatia?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Member states make their own rules on issuing passports and on citizenship, within a broad framework. Do not assume that Croatia will do things the same way as the Irish Republic.
corniche

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must look up the županija (county, canton) of his birthplace. There are 20 in Croatia and one more is the capital city of Zagreb. Then look for the matični ured of the town he was born in. Then send an email asking for his rodni list (birth certificate). They will send it to the embassy of croatia in your country, who will in turn send you a bill when it arrives. Send them a cheque and the birth certificate will come in the post.
Then you must prepare to take the exam on Croatian history in Croatian. Here is the test
http://www.propisi.hr/print.php?id=11935
You must go to the embassy with the application and bring proof of Croatian heritage, such as your birth certificate showing he is your father, and show your fluency in Croatian by passing the test in person at the embassy. I think the fees have just gone up quite a lot, so bring more cheques as well. Good luck!
corniche

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe your father has to do all that. I think he has to acquire Croatian citizenship first. Then you can do it.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if your Croatia languagen is poor, you can forget about citizenship !
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost every EU member country (I can't think of any exceptions that I know of....) requires a language test for citizenship. Some are easier, some are harder, but fair enough to ask for reasonable level of proficiency in the local language!
corniche

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Almost every EU member country (I can't think of any exceptions that I know of....) requires a language test for citizenship. Some are easier, some are harder, but fair enough to ask for reasonable level of proficiency in the local language!

But the test is not in the local language, it's in the new national language.

Also the level and length of the test is arduous and complex: 20/100 questions on the structure of the new government or the newly rewritten history of the new country. And unlike all the other tests, the questions are not all multiple choice and thez do not provide the answer key.

Here is an example:

48. Opunomoćenik Hrvatskog sabora koji štiti ustavna i zakonska prava građana u postupku pred državnom upravom i tijelima – Ombudsman, na hrvatskom jeziku naziva se:

You must write the answer: Pučki pravobranitelj
This is a new term that someone who has been in exile or their children would not ordinarily know.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exam is weighted against emigres and their offspring !
corniche

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's supposed to prevent Serbs\Muslims\Albanians etc in exile from returning, but actually someone from Banja Luka in Bosnia would have an easier time than someone who left Croatia proper years ago.

Ča puštit ponoć, vuk poji.
Ko lassar škuro, lov skonšumat.
Što ostaviti noću, vuk će pojesti.
What you leave out at night, the wolf will eat.

Advertising in 1990s for the new Istrian Bank in several dialects.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different languages I would say, rather than different dialects.
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Different languages Reply with quote

Quote:
Different languages I would say, rather than different dialects.

An argument which has gathered strength since the break-up of Yugoslavia and the subsequent wars between the Serbs, Croats and Bosniaks.
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, as an American, if I were to obtain an EU passport, say from Ireland, and I wanted to teach English, I just start applying for jobs and, if hired, I can start working immediately?

If one held, for example, an Irish or British passport, would they still need to apply for a work permit in the European country they are seeking employment in?

I'm curious how that works.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cornerstone of the EU is mobility of labour. A national of one EU state has a right to live and work in any other state.

Each state has regulations about schools and teaching. Broadly speaking if you are qualified to teach in one state, that should be transferable to another. EFL tends to be more lightly regulated than teaching in state schools.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were to obtain a European passport, there would be few further hassles, as scot points out. It's getting the passport that's the difficulty.
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
The cornerstone of the EU is mobility of labour. A national of one EU state has a right to live and work in any other state.

Each state has regulations about schools and teaching. Broadly speaking if you are qualified to teach in one state, that should be transferable to another. EFL tends to be more lightly regulated than teaching in state schools.

Thank you for the information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: