Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

East Timor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrstphr87340

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: East Timor Reply with quote

I'm looking at different places to teach English, and most of them are a little off the beaten path. I was curious if anyone had any information on East Timor. It seems like an interesting country, although it is very poor and I do not know the safety situation there.
princesss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always try Lorosa'e English Language Institute. They employ a number of foreign teachers. I didn't work there so this isn't a recommendation but a small teaching scene does exist there. Dili isn't for everyone but the beaches are a delight. East Timor might suit people who don't like the fast life.

Last edited by princesss on Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chrstphr87340

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the information!
kurtz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering East Timor/ Timor Leste has been an independent state for over ten years, this should be in general Asia and not Indonesia.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people who know about East Timor also frequent the Indonesian forum. This is good a place as any.
princesss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to hear from teachers, or even just off the grapevine, how much money it is possible to make in Dili and what living costs are like.
princesss

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my last post someone has been in touch with me and offered some useful information about East Timor. While I have visited the country, I haven't worked there, so please be aware the comments about the school are second-hand.

In a nutshell, I heard that Lorosa'e English is indeed the best school in Dili. The pay rate per hour is high and the conditions and hours given are good too. Further, the atmosphere in the staffroom is said to be friendly and laid back. The teacher I spoke to had enough money and was enjoying their time there.

On the other hand Dili is a small city in a poor country. There are frequent power cuts and other developing country annoyances. The night life is very limited and security can be an issue at night. As a result, many of the teachers take their holidays in Bali, which is only a couple of hours away by plane. People considering Dili shouldn't expect a party town and luxuries are few and pricey, but cheap Indonesian food is available.

On the plus side there is plenty of fresh air and clean water, so outdoorsy types may enjoy it. It may appeal to the adventurous sort but it isn't for everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: