Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scouting Teaching Locations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
likwid_777

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Scouting Teaching Locations Reply with quote

Scouting Teaching Locations

Does anyone have much experience in doing this?

I mean, last time I went O/S for teaching, it was in China, and I had a friend there. I went there almost whimsically and ended up leaving my job (in Aus) and being in China within one week. As such, I had no idea about where I was going. That said, I feel that if one goes to a country or a city as a tourist, in order to attempt to get a feel for what it's like when living and working there... It's still probably difficult to have any idea what it's going to be like.

In my situation, I will have a B.Ed (for high school teaching) in a year. I also have a window of 6 weeks or so right now where I could possibly venture off to potential locations in Asia, and have some "R&R", whilst simultaneously checking a place (or two) out for potential for work.

I guess I have thought of Indonesia, returning to China, also Vietnam and posssssibly Japan.

Do you think it's even worth it? For example: Going to a school one year outside of when you're looking for work, quizzing teachers and getting a "gut feel" for a place? Or do you think it's better to just enjoy a hedonistic week or two, and deal with whichever hell you have not prepared yourself for later...? I have a feeling that employers and employees in this time might just think that you're wasting their time.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably not what you are wanting to hear but...

Finish your B.Ed. Get a couple of years in the classroom under your belt (post B.Ed) in your home country.

NOW that you have opened up a whole different stream of options you can think about kicking the can.

suphanburi wrote:
From my personal experience, YES, it IS worth the extra 3 years. In very real terms,

using Thailand as an example:
40k thb/month on a 10-11 month contract (400k thb per year) with no benefits as an entry level EFL teacher
vs
100k thb/month (1.2 million baht/year) + housing, airfare, medical and generous holidays with full salary at a tier 1 or tier 2 international school (on a 1 or 2 year contract).

Using Taiwan as an example:
50k twd and no benefits in a buxiban (language school)
vs
80-90k twd + benefits as a public school teacher

Using Korea as an example:
1.9-2.2 million krw + airfare and housing as an EFL teacher
vs
4-5 million krw + full benefits including up to 12 weeks of annual vacation at an international school.

Without that home country licensure and 2 years of home country experience you are just another entry level EFL teacher - one of many - at the entry level.

likwid_777

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Yes, this is reality. I have thought of this. Also, if you jump over and get a job in Asia without getting any post degree experience in your home country, I hear it can be awfully hard to get a job thereafter (in your home country).

Oh reality, how you mock me.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: