Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anti- teach in Indonesia Propaganda
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

princesss wrote:

The best proof that something is wrong at TBI is to see how many promises they break. They were advertising for teachers for TBI Bali in 2012, 2013 and early this year and it still hasn't opened. Meanwhile Wall Street had opened 4 schools during this time and EF has opened two upmarket Adult Centres. TBI are just not competitive like they used to be. Why do they have to put teachers in business visas? It's because qualified teachers are smart enough to see through them and don't stick around. They simply are not impressive to fully trained teachers or English graduates.

Also look at their Facebook pages. It is common that they won't update social media for months at a time. This indirectly reflects cronyism. The Business Development Manager got rid of all expat managers besides himself and his best mate and promoted people based on personal loyalty to him rather than qualifications or ability. It is hardly surprising that some of these new managers do no work and the website has notices from 2 years ago on noticeboards. They have become chronically lazy which is why Wall Street and EF FX Mall are killing them. TBI Sudirman has 300 likes on Facebook and the EF Adult Centre across the road has 37500. Blaming saboteurs for their own failure is really shooting the messenger.

I have original emails in which the Business Manager ordered people to start hiring teachers illegally in 2011. PM if you would like me to forward you copies. I don't think dokng a cut and paste is as convincing. They will say I "doctored" them to discredit TBI.

Um, thanks, but really not necessary. I've said that I tend to believe there are questionable practices there, beginning and very possibly not ending with employing teachers to work on non-valid visas. It's not necessary for me to see "proof" one way or the other.

I have never worked for a language school, training center, mill or whatever one wants to call them. That may change in the future, but to the best of my knowledge, I will never need nor be particularly inclined to work for TBI. I agree there are most likely, if not definitively, better choices in Indonesia as far as that type of teaching employment goes. I don't really need to know all the "sordid and grisly details", whatever they may be. There are many reports of questionable practices at EF schools as well, though not about proper visas and paperwork, as far as I know. (Some questions about HOW they get them, but not about WHETHER they get them.)

What I really don't get is why the two of you (P and BC) spend so much of your time on this. It seems apparent that you both have some kind of personal axe to grind with TBI and / or its top management staff. If it is true that BC left Indonesia years ago and hasn't worked as a teacher here since, it's difficult to suss why he spends so much time here generally and specifically on contributing posts and comments "warning" about the evils of TBI and a few other schools / chains. If he isn't teaching here anymore, why seem to have such a "vested interest"? Wouldn't a simple warning post or two, or single thread, be sufficient and then let it go? So I think it must be for deeply personal reasons, as this clearly goes back some time and the horse is still being beaten.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mysterytrain wrote:
Um, thanks, but really not necessary. I've said that I tend to believe there are questionable practices there, beginning and very possibly not ending with employing teachers to work on non-valid visas. It's not necessary for me to see "proof" one way or the other.

Wouldn't a simple warning post or two, or single thread, be sufficient and then let it go? So I think it must be for deeply personal reasons, as this clearly goes back some time and the horse is still being beaten.

But you said in a post from yesterday that a lot of the 282-page thread on Living in Indonesia Forum about JIS was written by you, and you went there in the 1970s.

You wrote proudly, "Currently 282 pages and ten times as many posts. A fair number of them are mine. ."

What is the difference between you writing a large part of 282 pages on that forum about JIS and me writing 100 different posts about TBI and visa issues on Dave's?

Also, the information I have aired this year has focused on Rumah Bahasa. As a result of posting about 10 times about Rumah Bahasa, I am aware of dozens of people who have been spared being ripped off by that school. The victims of that school typically lost around 6 million rupiah. That's about 2 months' wages in Indonesia. If posting online can save teachers from being conned or students from losing a month or two's wages, then that seems worth it to me.

I am also a member of Amnesty International and support various environmental and human rights causes. Apart from this I find time to write a travel blog, to read a lot, and also to hold down a job. Are my motives really so suspicious? Are some hobby horses more equal than others?
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradleycooper wrote:

But you said in a post from yesterday that a lot of the 282-page thread on Living in Indonesia Forum about JIS was written by you, and you went there in the 1970s.

You wrote proudly, "Currently 282 pages and ten times as many posts. A fair number of them are mine. ."

What is the difference between you writing a large part of 282 pages on that forum about JIS and me writing 100 different posts about TBI and visa issues on Dave's?

I'm not particularly "proud" about having written a number of posts on that thread. I'm an active member of that forum and I post in many threads there on many different topics. I'm not particularly "proud" of having attended school at JES either. Both of them are facts which I mentioned.

I said that I have made a good number of posts in the thread about the JIS sex abuse scandal. This is true. Let's say, maybe forty or fifty posts out of almost three thousand. That's not a big percentage of the total, and there are others who have posted many more times than I have.

Further, I haven't posted "x" many times on the thread because I went to school there many decades ago, I have posted there because it's an interesting current event which is very relevant to foreign teachers working in Indonesia (of which group I am one), as well as to parents of students and just folks in general.

I don't see the connection with my comments here, to be honest.

What you want to spend your time on is your own business, no question about that. What I wrote is simply my take on it, you're welcome to pursue any crusade you choose.

The idea that someone would want to PM me copies of emails as documentation of one EFL provider's wrongdoings, knowing that I have no connection with that provider, is a bit strange to me. (Yes, I know that wasn't you)
MadRiley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as MT thinks that the sex scandal case is important to the public, BC thinks that the visa situation is something important to teachers. People here should spend less time in bickering and more time on providing information.
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, can't disagree with that. Now just take a look at the first few pages of this thread, back and forth between P / BC and "Markustm". You don't call that "bickering" from both sides?
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mysterytrain wrote:
Yep, can't disagree with that. Now just take a look at the first few pages of this thread, back and forth between P / BC and "Markustm". You don't call that "bickering" from both sides?

Markustm seems to have disappeared. After threatening to sue me and then making some inflammatory anti-gay remarks, the "former" TBI teacher and spokesman had several threads and posts removed. I am not sure if he is still an active member. Guess we will have to see.

His argument that I am engaged in anti-Indonesia propaganda was and remains false. I have recommended Wall Street and Penabur many times on here. I also think Indonesia is one of the best travel destinations in the world.

My favorite places are Sulawesi, the Malukus and even the less developed parts of Java. My whole "team line" here is simply that a school which has spent years lying to newcomers about the legality of working on business visas is a danger not only to itself, but the reputation of the industry. That seems common sense to me.
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I'm on record in another thread in this forum agreeing with you about the importance of having legal status to work in Indonesia (IMTA + KITAS). That was several months ago, and it seems the same issue is still being beaten post-mortem until today.

Here's what's clear to me: you have turned this into your own personal, perpetual harangue here, which is currently spread over at least a dozen threads, if not more than that.

I don't know who "Markustm" is, but it does seem clear he or she is or has been affiliated with TBI in some way, as a teacher, DOS, manager, or whatever. Same sort of answer for Jef Dam. If these or other individuals are advocating working illegally in Indonesia and / or deceiving prospective teachers, they are certainly wrong in doing so, and you have every right to point that out.

However, it seems clear that there is some kind of personal issue here which goes back quite a way and has resulted in a couple of posters basically sitting on this forum like mother hens guarding their chicks. It has been mentioned by newer posters here that the atmosphere of bickering over these points is a "turn-off" and on the whole unhelpful to their needs.

My opinion? It's overkill, and it makes the whole Indonesia forum look a bit silly, as John Cleese used to say. Constant reiteration and regurgitation of the same point makes it an "ex-parrot", at some point, and I think that point was reached here some time ago. Have a nice day.
p1randal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mysterytrain...I hate even checking this thing as I know it is just a select few complaining about TBI over and over again. Here are solutions..

1. Get qualified so you don't need to take language mill jobs.

2. Shut up.

3. The end
MadRiley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p1randal wrote:
Thank you Mysterytrain...I hate even checking this thing as I know it is just a select few complaining about TBI over and over again. Here are solutions..

2. Shut up.

3. The end

It isn't all the so called language mills that are using business visas. Zoroabel said that EF and Wall Street got him a Kitas and that's my experience too. Basically it's a good thing people know about the right visa. People like Markustm are not doing anyone favors. Blind Freddy can see what that bloke is up to and who he works for. Still it would be good if this issue stopped going around in circles.

Just work for a National plus school isn't a practical suggestion for everyone. Which Np do you work for Piranda? Can you name sone good ones?
p1randal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess maybe I have a more relaxed attitude when it comes to this and visas. Things take forever here and almost everything has vague legality. If this is something that bothers you (right or wrong) then Indonesia is not the country for you. Complaining about it on a message board is not going to change anything. I have a KITAS but in the past I have worked without one and may have to in the future. I trust my employer and know they are just dealing with the Government BS that we all deal with.

I am not really concerned about unqualified people coming here on a gap year to do whatever. I think you should at have (Starting at the lowest):
1. English Degree
2. English Teaching Degree
3. MA TESOL/Applied Ling/Education/Linguistics

If only people who were qualified got jobs they would be forced to up the salaries for everyone or go out of business or hire locals and see how that business model works.

There are a ton of good schools who will get you a KITAS eventually..

Bogor Raya
BINUS
Penabur
Sinarmas
Bina Bangsa

In the end if you want something "by the book" Indo is not for you
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this entire thread and had a good laugh for most of it. Some of you really seem like you're green travelers and efl teachers. Of course SE Asia has corruption and issues with visa. That's the nature of teaching in this region of the world. You can't compare SE Asia to Korea or Japan or China. East Asia is decades ahead of nearly every country in SE Asia. It would be a better comparison to compare teaching here to South America. The people who come to teach here don't do it for the money. They do it for the experience and the simple lifestyles.

If you're sitting there complaining about the low pay and visa corruption in SE Asia then you really have no business living here. Get out. Go to Korea which has the best salaries, savings, and benefits of any country outside of the Middle East.

Furthermore, Japan is an awful place to be teacher in terms of making money. Sure, you might make 3,000 usd a month, but you'll spend nearly all of it on day to day expenses. You'll put up with racist attitudes in almost every interaction with locals. You'll be treated as a second class TA who can't be trusted to run a class themselves.

It doesn't matter if you make $1,000 month teaching in SE Asia because you're still saving more than you would in Japan. And you're probably enjoying a more luxurious lifestyle while you do it.
princesss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indonesia has been plagued by endemic corruption which is costing several billions of dollars a year in losses to the state. Many reformers have risked their lives to report on ythis problem and bring corrupt politicians to justice. It is a deadly serious issue and not a laughing matter. Millions live in poverty because of it. Efforts to clean up the state deserve our support.

The reality is that most Asian countries have tightened their regulations a lot in recent years for Tefl teachers. Yes corruption is still prevalent but there are much fewer opportunities for people with Photoshopped degrees than their once were.
SiThep

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p1randal wrote:

2. Shut up.

3. The end

That isn't very helpful either. Actually the snobbery of some people who work at National Plus schools gets old too.

From what I have heard some of these schools cram 30 or even 35 students into a room and think that's quality education. Meanwhile the parents are paying how many 1000s of dollars a year for the privilege?

Comparing Indo and Thailand I do get the impression that you'd be better off working illegally in Indo. In Thailand there were raids all the time and in some cases they'd catch 40 or 50 teachers working without visas. But then only 3 of them would end up being charged.

They were the ones who couldn't get together enough money to buy their way out of the situation. There are many teachers who have done jail time in Thailand for working illegally. That's not something you need to fear in Indo.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole ASEAN region is now getting very strict with illegal English teachers. Indonesia will be no exception Don't be surprised if you see a lot more English teachers in jail these days in Indonesia...working illegally is now becoming a serious crime. For every rule there is another rule to be made...we are now living in a world of rule after rule in the TEFL profession! This is unfortunately a sign of the times. Shocked
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

princesss wrote:
Indonesia has been plagued by endemic corruption which is costing several billions of dollars a year in losses to the state.

Yes, this has been a recent development in Indonesia since about ... forty- fifty years ago (at least).

Quote:
Many reformers have risked their lives to report on ythis problem and bring corrupt politicians to justice. It is a deadly serious issue and not a laughing matter. Millions live in poverty because of it. Efforts to clean up the state deserve our support.

Yes, efforts to clean up the state deserve our support, let's all support KPK and our soon-to-be new President (hooray!).

However, you can't disguise the personal diatribe you and BC have been running on this forum for months (years?) against specific schools / employers and your interminable screed about KITAS as "supporting efforts to clean up the state".

The basic government requirements to work legally as a teacher in Indonesia are actually pretty well known and well-publicized. They are certainly known to just about anybody and everybody who is already working here, with the possible exception of "absolute beginners".

(Why not) make one dedicated thread about "IMPORTANT! Government Requirements for Teaching LEGALLY In INDONESIA". Make another one, if you like, about "TBI BAAAAAADDD" or "DODGY SCHOOLS / CHAINS TO AVOID". DON'T spread this out over almost every thread in this forum (as you already have). I'm really surprised the mods haven't shut this behavior down, to be honest. It may not be a breach of the posting guidelines, but it's definitely, like, super annoying.

Alhamdullillah, I don't really need the Indonesia forum of Dave's (and yes, it doesn't need me). But the two of you are not doing anybody any big "public service" by what you have been doing here, don't delude yourselves.

Just be glad if most members working in other countries don't bother reading the threads in here, because you might be a laughing stock of the whole "cafe".

Quote:
The reality is that most Asian countries have tightened their regulations a lot in recent years for Tefl teachers. Yes corruption is still prevalent but there are much fewer opportunities for people with Photoshopped degrees than their once were.

Not sure about "much fewer" here (countable noun usually calls for "many", but we can't use a determiner to modify an adjective "fewer', so that seems to be out). It might be "technically correct", but it "sounds poorly": "far fewer" would probably be best, if not just "fewer" biasa. And it's (not 'its') most definitely "there", not "their". Maybe you could use some of your time in a "more better and productiver" way?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: