Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anti- teach in Indonesia Propaganda
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tudor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p1randal wrote:
Oh I knew coming into it I was getting underpaid..I took the job to be in an area I like and, as we all know, the contracts are only a year or 2. So if I don't like it I can move to a new school or leave.

I mentioned the money to show how you can save without making 20 million plus. People who can save..save, and people who can't..can't. It doesn't have much to do with amounts.

That's fair enough, my salary's nothing to write home about but I like the job, the hours and the location. Besides, there are always avenues available to earn extra money if one is so inclined.

Agree totally about the saving issue too - people are either spenders or savers and it's quite possible to save in Indonesia without earning a massive salary or living like a hermit.
p1randal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tudor

I didn't say they were perfect. I just have known people who have obtained work their legally.

I am not a "hater" as the kids say, if you have a high-school degree and you can manage to get a job, well then good for you. My comments about government requirements are how I think the government should operate and how I personally go about my recruitment.
princesss

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know Indonesia, you know that the bureaucracy makes regulations so they have excuses to ask for bribes. The liberal Indonesian press is all hoping for a President who will cut red tape and create more transparency. It won't be easy.

I recall one case of a government department demanding the school I worked at get a lightning rod permit to continue operating. In the end they were willing to accept a "payment" in lieu of the lighting rod. Hard as it may be for some to hear, these regulations are just a request for a lightning rod that need never appear. All you need to do is make a payment instead of recruiting teachers with English degrees. It's really just a sham.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...oh I see now..the next regulation to get a job as an English teacher is for your employer to ask you for a payment to secure the job....what is the old proverb "No money No honey......! Shocked
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p1randal wrote:
I have to spend 2 weeks training them on stuff they should know. Things like Bloom, Krashen, Scaffolding, UBD, 21st century Ed, Holistic Ed, Collaborative vs group work..

Eh? Shocked

Now "Bloom", I know... there's Orlando, and his cousin Leopold...

"Krashen" is a giant octopus or squid-like monster that dwells in the sea between Norway and Greenland...

"Scaffolding" is what Kong stands on when he fights Godzilla...\\

"UBD" is "Ultimate Boogie Dancing" ... I think ...

"Holistic Ed" was my Vegan new age neighbor back in the States...

"Collaborative" refers of course to the Vichy French... got any more?

Could I pay you for a mini-course?
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tudor wrote:

Quote:
Having a four-year degree as a requirement, yes, I absolutely agree.

Excuse my pedantry mysterytrain, but most British degrees are three years long and it's now possible to gain a full honours degree in two years (UK) and three years (USA) under the "fast track" system. If you mean that an honours degree - regardless of the length of time it took to gain - should be a requirement then yes, I fully agree.

Yes, my bad, sorry...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: