Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advantages of having a Masters/English Lit. Degree?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paddy88

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Advantages of having a Masters/English Lit. Degree? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I couldn't find a response to this question but apologies if it has been asked before. I have recently completed my Master of Development Practice, Majoring in Development Planning. My undergraduate is in English Literature, with minors in communication.

I have had trouble getting my foot in the door in the development field, and am thinking of a trip to Hanoi since there are a multitude of NGO's based there. I am hoping to get a job there or at the very least, intern/volunteer.

Due to my academic background and lack of savings (I'm planning on going with about 5k USD in the bank) I was thinking of trying to get a teaching job part time if all else fails, then intern/volunteer on the side for an NGO.

I was thinking about doing a CELTA course in Hanoi. However, with my academic background will this be 100% necessary? As I'm on a budget, I'd rather not spend the money and end up with a job with an NGO two months later etc.

Of course, I could just go till my money runs out and try to get a job with an NGO, but teaching and earning a couple hundred a month would mean I could intern and stay as long as possible.
paddy88

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I'm 25 (26 in October) if that is relevant. Currently work in Real Estate, have extensive business administration experience, but no teaching experience.
skarper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the CELTA - I wouldn't even mention you have an MA on the forma/application for a teaching gig. It won't help at all and might even hurt.

You will probably find yourself teaching off and on for quite a while before an NGO takes you on full time - supply of people (like yourself) willing to work for nothing makes me think this is likely.

The CELTA will give you some idea of what to do and stop a few hours a week taking all week to plan (badly).

If you have significant debts from all that higher education perhaps Vietnam is not the place for you to pay them off - Korea might be a better bet as income is steadier but the lifestyle rather different to here.
paddy88

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers.

I think I may do the CELTA in Hanoi.

As for NGO work, I'm afraid you are right. However, having a 6 month internship at an international NGO will be a massive help when I return to Australia/go elsewhere. Additionally, my Masters is quite rare in the industry at entry level, so it is helpful in regards to NGO work.

Why might it hurt in regards to tesl jobs?

Also, in regards to debt, I'm not sure if you are from Australia but the debt only needs to be paid back after you earn more than circa 45,000 USD a year. The interest is gauged only to match inflation. So I'm not in a rush.
deadlift

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your degree is no more relevant than any other, and assuming that it will give you any advantage is a little silly. You'll (most likely) be teaching kids the basics, not lecturing on literary theory.

The CELTA is a pretty big investment, and if you're just looking to fill some time, you could maybe scrape by without it. You could look at one of the many cheaper but less well-regarded certs.

I agree with Skarper that there'll be plenty of people "interning" or volunteering, but then again you have a relevant degree so you might be alright. Get networking within NGO circles as soon as you hit the ground.
skarper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your MA is a clear sign you're interested in higher things than mere TEFL - ergo they may pass over your application in favour of someone else.

It certainly won't help and this small chance of it hurting would lead me to not mention it on your CV/application form.

I tend to say go the whole hog - do a real CELTA or the Equiv [and IMO superior] TESOL Cert from Trinity or don't bother. The price difference is small in the long run - it is the time spent on it that is the real investment.

You will often be back in the EFL classroom filling in while between NGO and other jobs because this kind of work is always readily available and once you have a few years experience easy and stress free - allowing you to focus on other things in your spare time.

For ASIA a CELTA has more 'brand awareness' - so while the Trinity one is a little bit more up to date and practical the CELTA is probably a better option - and you will spend less time explaining what it is.

Other cheaper certs are currently fooling the immigration people who do the WPs but who knows how long this will last and most places seem to have stopped bothering with the WP process anyway and just work around it or make the teacher shoulder the burden of visa runs etc.

This situation changes constantly of course.
paddy88

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice guys. Everything makes sense, though I have heard from CELTA etc. teachers that my undergraduate will be an advantage -- though perhaps they did not mean in securing work, but just that I'll obviously be able to read and write to a decent level and this will make learning teaching methods etc. easier.

Come to think of it, I have found it best not to mention my masters when applying for weekend/night jobs, so this makes sense of course in regards to teaching english.
skarper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most countries you NEED an undergraduate degree to be eligible for the visa to work as a teacher. It usually is no help in the classroom though it is an indication of some basic literacy - very basic in some cases!

My degree was in Maths - English was the subject I found hardest at school and hated the most - apart from RE of course.
paddy88

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Skarper!

...On another note, what is the singles scene like in Hanoi?
skarper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really the person to ask about this side of life but basically Vietnamese women expect to get married or they expect to get paid...

There are exceptions to this rule with some women being more Westernised in their dating culture but I'd say 90% are still very traditional.

If you're not interested in getting married eventually then I'd say be very up front about it or you will end up ruining some poor girl's life.
paddy88

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about expats, backpackers etc?
skarper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't comment on them as I know/knew too few of them.
Dream_Seller

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skarper wrote:
Not really the person to ask about this side of life but basically Vietnamese women expect to get married or they expect to get paid...

There are exceptions to this rule with some women being more Westernised in their dating culture but I'd say 90% are still very traditional.

If you're not interested in getting married eventually then I'd say be very up front about it or you will end up ruining some poor girl's life.

I share the same view as well.

The Westernized Viet girl that can speak near perfect english probably also is curvier and knows professors and businessmen abroad already. She can only date western men now. The pretty Viet girl with no english skills can date both. She is looking for marriage yet you cant talk to her lol. Both are opportunistic, your on their lineup, which option are you in their eyes? Vietnamese is one of the hardest languages to learn for English speakers.

I move there in less than 60 days. I won't be joining the HCMC/Hanoi congregation. Good luck to the both of us.
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the new work permit regulations, wouldn't it be fairly pointless in jumping through the hoop of getting qualified first? It seems to me that you can either do things by-the-book, in which case getting qualified is pointless, because you also need 5 years of experience for a work permit (and let's face it, Vietnam isn't that exciting that anyone's going to dedicate 5 years of their life to getting qualified to teach here). Or you can work for someone who won't bother getting you a work permit, or knows the right people and can get one anyway, without the necessary credentials. But then an employer like that would probably also hire you without a CELTA anyway.
mk87

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New work permit regulations have been relaxed.

Never ceases to amaze me that people here don't learn that they implement policy and then work out how to deal with it practically later. People were going crazy about this change when it's just followed the same path most new laws here seem to.

It doesnt even seem like that much of a bad way of doing things to me. Obviously I'm sure it makes investors twitchy, but I can see the benefits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: