Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Decent offer? What should I do?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SunShan



Joined: 28 Mar 2013
Posts: 96

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Decent offer? What should I do? Reply with quote

I have been given a conditional offer through a well-known company to work at a secondary school in the city of Chonburi. However, they want me to start next Monday and I'm still in my home country. This is what they're offering:

Salary of 33,000 baht + 3,000 housing allowance (all paid as wages).
Paid transportation to Chonburi from BKK, paid work permit and teacher's licence, covered visa fees and free accident insurance.
20-24 contact hours per week.
3 free nights in hotel then help finding accommodation.

I like the sound of the location and the package seems quite good. I love Thailand having been many times on holiday, so I'm tempted to go for it, but...

1. I've done the CELTA and only had a few months experience of teaching adults in small groups & 1-1s. The curriculum is supplied but I'm concerned about teaching 30-40 crazy kids per class with no experience whatsoever and no time to acclimatize/settle in and meet the staff etc. Basically, I don't want to give crap lessons and embarrass myself, and even worse - the kids don't learn anything, fail exams (then I get sacked).

2. Travelled around Thailand, but never been to Chonburi. +/- anyone?

3. What questions should I be asking before I commit? The main one I'm concerned about is getting the correct visa in time. It all seems very rushed as they are obviously desperate to replace someone who has left recently.

4. Can I ride a motorbike with no licence? I have a UK car licence, which usually works on the islands, but saw some Thais getting in trouble with police for no bike licence in Khon Kaen once.

Any advice, experiences or general thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
suphanburi



Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 298

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Decent offer? What should I do? Reply with quote

SunShan wrote:
I have been given a conditional offer through a well-known company to work at a secondary school in the city of Chonburi. However, they want me to start next Monday and I'm still in my home country. This is what they're offering:

Salary of 33,000 baht + 3,000 housing allowance (all paid as wages).
Paid transportation to Chonburi from BKK, paid work permit and teacher's licence, covered visa fees and free accident insurance.
20-24 contact hours per week.
3 free nights in hotel then help finding accommodation.

I like the sound of the location and the package seems quite good. I love Thailand having been many times on holiday, so I'm tempted to go for it, but...

1. I've done the CELTA and only had a few months experience of teaching adults in small groups & 1-1s. The curriculum is supplied but I'm concerned about teaching 30-40 crazy kids per class with no experience whatsoever and no time to acclimatize/settle in and meet the staff etc. Basically, I don't want to give crap lessons and embarrass myself, and even worse - the kids don't learn anything, fail exams (then I get sacked).

2. Travelled around Thailand, but never been to Chonburi. +/- anyone?

3. What questions should I be asking before I commit? The main one I'm concerned about is getting the correct visa in time. It all seems very rushed as they are obviously desperate to replace someone who has left recently.

4. Can I ride a motorbike with no licence? I have a UK car licence, which usually works on the islands, but saw some Thais getting in trouble with police for no bike licence in Khon Kaen once.

Any advice, experiences or general thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.


1) If you are native speaker with a CELTA and a degree then that offer is nothing short of underwhelming. Anybody with those qualifications can land a job like that pretty much anywhere without much trouble from now until November.

If you do not have a degree then most of it is untrue (you won't be getting a visa or a work permit as a teacher).

2) google Pattaya. nuff said.

3) caveat emptor - buyer beware - see #1.

4) Legally, NO. You need a Thai license and you can't get that without a work permit. If you are stopped you will be making a donation to the local policeman's benefit fund at a minimum.

5) Typically, unless you are something very special (and by your self description you are not), the only companies who recruit from abroad are those who can't recruit locally because of their bad reputations.

*there are lots of "wanna-be" teachers with a CELTA or TEFL who are in Thailand (especially in the Chonburi area) so it makes one wonder why they are in such a rush to bring someone who is inexperienced in.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SunShan



Joined: 28 Mar 2013
Posts: 96

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say I have an English & Linguistics degree. I enjoyed the CELTA and I know I have the ability to become a good teacher, but CELTA seems more or less a waste of time with regards to teaching classes of 30+ kids...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
suphanburi



Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 298

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with the CELTA is that the focus is NOT on young learners.

There IS, however, lots of material available out there on teaching young learners (how to teach, not canned lessons (which are a waste of time)).
A lot of what you do will depend as much on what resources they have available for you.

Trial by fire.... You'll learn fast.

As I said earlier, the offer itself is nothing special.

ANYONE who is a native speaker, under the age of 60, with a degree, a CELTA, and a pulse can land a job just about everywhere in the country with the same basic remuneration package.

If it makes you feel more comfortable to have someone to pick you up at the airport then take it.

If you can walk and chew gum at the same time then take it or leave it.

With your paper credentials you might/should be able to find something better (in terms of the job and remuneration package) but you might have to wait till the mid year break in Oct to do so.
(it is the middle of the 1st semester here so most schools aren't looking for teachers).

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EFL Educator



Joined: 17 Jul 2013
Posts: 447

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

My advice is just come to Thailand go knock on school doors and you will have a choice of offers...and don't deal with EFL recruiters as they have people coming and going all the time.= No job security. Good luck! Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MaiPenRai



Joined: 17 Jan 2006
Posts: 380
Location: BKK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1) If you are native speaker with a CELTA and a degree then that offer is nothing short of underwhelming. Anybody with those qualifications can land a job like that pretty much anywhere without much trouble from now until November.


A CELTA is a nice addition to a beginning teachers resume, but in Thailand it is not a required document to work legally. Most schools will value good experience over a CELTA. There are a few schools that have a CELTA or equivalent as a prerequisite.

Yes, if you have a degree and CELTA and you are presentable, you will probably land a job with similar salary and benefits, but it may take 2-3 weeks and it may not be in a nice location. Chonburi area is generally a highly sought after location due to its proximity to many beaches and to Bangkok itself. Most government schools will start at about 30,000-35,000 baht, so 36,000 is on the higher end for starting EFL teachers in Thailand.

Quote:
2) google Pattaya. nuff said.


Pattaya is a beach tourist location located in the province of Chonburi known for its red light entertainment. There are many other parts of Chonburi that are nothing like Pattaya. that is like saying all of Nevada is like Las Vegas. A bit silly.

Quote:
5) Typically, unless you are something very special (and by your self description you are not), the only companies who recruit from abroad are those who can't recruit locally because of their bad reputations.


This is not really true anymore. The larger recruitment and placement companies do most of their recruitment from abroad and through TEFL schools these days. There is nothing wrong with using a reputable recruitment and placement company if its your first job. After a year or so, if you are good at your job, ambitious and presentable, you should be able to move up in the world.

At the end of of it all. The offer is on the top end for starting teachers. Chonburi is a pretty nice location compared to a lot of other places in Thailand. You say the company is well known, so its probably a relatively safe bet. Yes, you are probably replacing a teacher, so they want you there as soon as possible. Negotiate a bit. If you are good, they will wait a couple extra days for you.


Last edited by MaiPenRai on Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MaiPenRai



Joined: 17 Jan 2006
Posts: 380
Location: BKK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL.. just checked the dates, so my post is probably irrelevant. Did you take the job OP? How did it work out?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adaruby



Joined: 21 Apr 2014
Posts: 81
Location: Location Location

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaiPenRai wrote:
Quote:
1) If you are native speaker with a CELTA and a degree then that offer is nothing short of underwhelming. Anybody with those qualifications can land a job like that pretty much anywhere without much trouble from now until November.


A CELTA is a nice addition to a beginning teachers resume, but in Thailand it is not a required document to work legally. Most schools will value good experience over a CELTA. There are a few schools that have a CELTA or equivalent as a prerequisite.

Yes, if you have a degree and CELTA and you are presentable, you will probably land a job with similar salary and benefits, but it may take 2-3 weeks and it may not be in a nice location. Chonburi area is generally a highly sought after location due to its proximity to many beaches and to Bangkok itself. Most government schools will start at about 30,000-35,000 baht, so 36,000 is on the higher end for starting EFL teachers in Thailand.

Quote:
2) google Pattaya. nuff said.


Pattaya is a beach tourist location located in the province of Chonburi known for its red light entertainment. There are many other parts of Chonburi that are nothing like Pattaya. that is like saying all of Nevada is like Las Vegas. A bit silly.

Quote:
5) Typically, unless you are something very special (and by your self description you are not), the only companies who recruit from abroad are those who can't recruit locally because of their bad reputations.


This is not really true anymore. The larger recruitment and placement companies do most of their recruitment from abroad and through TEFL schools these days. There is nothing wrong with using a reputable recruitment and placement company if its your first job. After a year or so, if you are good at your job, ambitious and presentable, you should be able to move up in the world.

At the end of of it all. The offer is on the top end for starting teachers. Chonburi is a pretty nice location compared to a lot of other places in Thailand. You say the company is well known, so its probably a relatively safe bet. Yes, you are probably replacing a teacher, so they want you there as soon as possible. Negotiate a bit. If you are good, they will wait a couple extra days for you.


What would be the going rate at a high end language school in Bangkok for teachers with a first degree, CELTA and a few years experience?

Around 60?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EFL Educator



Joined: 17 Jul 2013
Posts: 447

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around 60? Sorry in Thailand you are looking around Baht 40,000/Month average for top end pay for EFL teachers....TEFL rates in Thailand have been much the same for language schools/Thai secondary schools/ academies etc. for the last 30 years or so. This is mainly due to supply and demand...there are hundreds od EFL teachers looking for work here daily mostly backpackers who don't want to go home back to their respective countries!!! Good luck! Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
suphanburi



Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 298

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adaruby wrote:
What would be the going rate at a high end language school in Bangkok for teachers with a first degree, CELTA and a few years experience?

Around 60?

60 ? Shocked Laughing

Right off the plane you can pretty much expect what everyone else in TEFL gets: 30-40k.

    If you are any good then opportunities will present themselves.
    If you are bog standard then you will likely work up to about 40-45k.
    If you don't adapt well to local market conditions then you will pretty much stay at the 35k mark.


IF you have QTS then proper k-12 "intonational schools" will come in at the 40-60 mark for locally hired staff and up to double that for experienced staff hired from abroad. Try http://www.tes.co.uk/jobs/ .

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adaruby



Joined: 21 Apr 2014
Posts: 81
Location: Location Location

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Around 60? Sorry in Thailand you are looking around Baht 40,000/Month average for top end pay for EFL teachers....TEFL rates in Thailand have been much the same for language schools/Thai secondary schools/ academies etc. for the last 30 years or so. This is mainly due to supply and demand...there are hundreds od EFL teachers looking for work here daily mostly backpackers who don't want to go home back to their respective countries!!! Good luck! Shocked


I know from their online recruitment that the British Council pay between 65 and 90 per month before tax, so I'm asking what other other high end language schools such as International House and IDP offer teachers with a few years under their belts and, for clarification, IELTS and business or young learner experience. Edit: A little digging around on the 'net suggests that IDP would offer between 50-70k a month.

I understand that the likes of Wall Street, ECC and Berlitz don't go much higher than 40-45.

Thanks anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
D. Merit



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 174

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Around 60? Sorry in Thailand you are looking around Baht 40,000/Month average for top end pay for EFL teachers.


I don't really think you can quote an 'average' for the top end. It's a contradiction in terms.

The top end in Thailand is as adaruby states.

40,000 is nowhere near 'top end'

suphanburi wrote:
IF you have QTS ......


...then the discussion here obviously doesn't apply.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adaruby



Joined: 21 Apr 2014
Posts: 81
Location: Location Location

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. Merit wrote:
EFL Educator wrote:
Around 60? Sorry in Thailand you are looking around Baht 40,000/Month average for top end pay for EFL teachers.


I don't really think you can quote an 'average' for the top end. It's a contradiction in terms.

The top end in Thailand is as adaruby states.

40,000 is nowhere near 'top end'

suphanburi wrote:
IF you have QTS ......


...then the discussion here obviously doesn't apply.


Thanks D Merit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plumpy nut



Joined: 12 Mar 2011
Posts: 856

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Decent offer? What should I do? Reply with quote

SunShan wrote:


Salary of 33,000 baht + 3,000 housing allowance (all paid as wages).
Paid transportation to Chonburi from BKK, paid work permit and teacher's licence, covered visa fees and free accident insurance.
20-24 contact hours per week.
3 free nights in hotel then help finding accommodation.



The salary and benefits are substantially more than usual, but not that substantially more.

SunShan wrote:
1. I've done the CELTA and only had a few months experience of teaching adults in small groups & 1-1s. The curriculum is supplied but I'm concerned about teaching 30-40 crazy kids per class with no experience whatsoever and no time to acclimatize/settle in and meet the staff etc. Basically, I don't want to give crap lessons and embarrass myself, and even worse - the kids don't learn anything, fail exams (then I get sacked).


You won't be embarrassed when you start trying to teach at your school. You're going to be appalled in one way or another on just how bad the students are. That is to say 90% of the students, the other students around 10% (if even that) you will realize you are going to have to focus on them.

SunShan wrote:
2. Travelled around Thailand, but never been to Chonburi. +/- anyone?


Except in the north, the provincial towns are all pretty much the same, you'll be bored. Some can be a little worse (like Lopburi) If you actually are getting 33000 rather than the usual 27000 to 30000, the extra 3000 will come in helpful when you want to go to Bangkok over the weekend. That as well as the 3000 apartment allowance



SunShan wrote:
4. Can I ride a motorbike with no licence?


Yes, There might be nothing else for you to do in Chonburi. They drive on the left in Thailand, so you shouldn't have any problems driving a motorbike. Don't try to drive one in BKK however.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
suphanburi



Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 298

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. Merit wrote:
EFL Educator wrote:
Around 60? Sorry in Thailand you are looking around Baht 40,000/Month average for top end pay for EFL teachers.


I don't really think you can quote an 'average' for the top end. It's a contradiction in terms.

The top end in Thailand is as adaruby states.

40,000 is nowhere near 'top end'

suphanburi wrote:
IF you have QTS ......


...then the discussion here obviously doesn't apply.


Let's put it in another light then, shall we.... Perhaps a dose of reality from the land of smiles....

The basic requirements for a visa and work permit are: an education to a first degree level, over 20 and a clean background.

Most who apply for a work permit have a first degree, TEFL/TESOL and a few years of experience under their belt.

A newbie to Thailand with those entry level qualifications can pretty much expect entry level wages for an entry level job: 30-40k right off of the plane.

The thing with Thailand is that there is no shortage of souls with those qualifications who are willing to take the low wages for the privilege of spending their winter in a warm place full of smiling ladies in short skirts.

And as a side note: the BC doesn't hire fresh meat right off of the plane so unless you are something really spectacular or have previous experience with the BC... good luck to you.

The reality is that you (or any other newbie) will likely be working evenings and weekends in a language center for 35k or a government school (M-F) with fans, open windows and 50 kids per class.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC