Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working in OMAN colleges - feedback please
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Muscat Gary on this one too. I try to run my class the same way. The problem is, it doesn't work.

Student gets thrown them out of class? They don't go home. They start running up and down the hallways disturbing the other teachers. So you haven't solved a problem, you've merely pushed it to your colleagues.

If they don't do that, the student will get thrown out and run strait to the dean. 5 minutes later there's a knock on the door, and there's a head of department standing there. "He says he didn't do anything. Please let him back into class."

The school has a rule that they are not allowed in if they come 10 minutes late. Try to enforce it, it's BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG. The student will not let up on the door until he is let inside. You persist? Then it's straight to the dean. Again, an official comes up and asks you to let them in.

Lately I've been refusing the head of department when he asks me to let trouble students in. I'm reasonably sure that doing so is going to have me gone at the end of the year, replaced by a teacher from India, who's far fewer employment options will ensure far more docility on his part.

I'm also with Muscat Gary on another thing: This place isn't for teachers.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the experience of students that I had thrown out coming back with a note from the HOD asking me to admit them. I sent them back with a note on his note asking him to send another teacher as I would be undermined if I followed his orders and couldn't continue to teach the class. Funnily enough no replacement teacher came and the students didn't come back again. I admit that I do have the luxury of rental income which is my FUF!

Last edited by MuscatGary on Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
CANDLES

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH, Come ON!
Quote:
Choose your employers carefully

How many of us choose employers carefully in the West: we go where the jobs are and put up with it for a while and then move on. Same concept in the Middle East- no-one is tied by a chain to stay in that job.

And please stop saying that the Asian teachers are 'walkover, docile' rather than the Westerners, who are calm, collected and efficient.
I worked with Asians who came in even when they were practically dying, whilst Westerners called in sick due to a hangover and eventually when they did turn up to 'teach', taught for maybe 1/2 hour then dismissed the class.

They were there for 2 years, loved by the admin and the Dean, yet most of their students failed and were given to the rest of us to pull up.

As I said before 80% of the students are good, the rest dross!
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with CANDLES: this is the reality.

Teacher makes rules and enforces them, students complain to administration, administration see teacher as trouble maker/ rocking the boat, teacher looses job.

In terms of choose your employer well: difficult to know what really goes on in any given workplace prior to taken up the job as people on this discussion board do not disclose their _exact_place of work for fear of being 'sprung'.

MuscatGary: most teachers make students present despite being absent. It's a win-win-win situation: the students stay absent even more, the teachers has peace and quiet in the classroom and the administration thinks everything is well and dandy.

The ' homework strategy' is widely applied by teachers in my workplace to justify students' failure in the exam.

Use of phones in the class is tolerated as those students are quiet/ preoccupied and hence don't disrupt the class. It gives a chance for the teacher to focus on the couple of students in class who are actually interested in learning. Phone use is also a great way to justify a student's failure in the exam - as long as notes are kept.
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't racist to suggest that Asian teachers are different when it comes to accepting certain things. Their situation is different than the very few western teachers here. There used to be many western teachers, but have all left due the frustrations we've been talking about, whereas the Asians here experience the same thing but have expressed a willingness to roll withe punches. I've listened to many of their reasons for staying despite all, and they seem perfectly valid. But they'll be the first to tell you, surviving here means not making waves, not complaining, giving students what they want. Which is what I mean by docile. Doesn't make them bad teachers.
CANDLES

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't suggesting it either, but there are more Westerners than Asians teaching English. Quite a few of the teachers (both) put up and shut up,
because it pays the bills! Nothing to do with the nationalities!
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:

MuscatGary: most teachers make students present despite being absent. It's a win-win-win situation: the students stay absent even more, the teachers has peace and quiet in the classroom and the administration thinks everything is well and dandy.

Except in the CAS system the students receive a stipend and teachers were warned this year (by the HOD) that if they did not keep adequate attendance records and it was discovered that a student had stopped attending then the teacher would have to repay the money!
CANDLES

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And is that going to be implemented or just 'hot air'?

The only way students attendance can be accurately monitored is when they have to log in daily. Sorry I've forgotten what it's called.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CANDLES wrote:
And is that going to be implemented or just 'hot air'?

The only way students attendance can be accurately monitored is when they have to log in daily. Sorry I've forgotten what it's called.

The problem only really comes to light at exam time. If a student doesn't show up they are contacted by the admin. If they say that they stopped coming weeks ago due to joining the army/police, deciding to drive a taxi, getting married and being forbidden to attend anymore, etc THEN the s**t hits the fan. Whether they really will try to recover the cash from the teacher remains to be seen but the threat was enough to make teachers who didn't normally bother begin to take attendance. I disagree that the only way it can be monitored is by a login system, the teachers manual attendance has to be entered into a computerized system which should show absenteeism up very quickly.
CANDLES

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True!

Students should have a 'punch in system', best solution!

We had to sign in every morning and sign out in the evening, and in KSA signed in electronically.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CANDLES wrote:
True!

Students should have a 'punch in system', best solution!

We had to sign in every morning and sign out in the evening, and in KSA signed in electronically.

I think the Colleges of Higher Technology have a digital 'punch in' system for their teachers. For me that would be a deal breaker, I'm not prepared to accept factory conditions as a professional. I suspect it's coming though as the obsession with teachers sitting at their desks from 8-4 has become much stronger this year. Luckily I'm out of here soon!
CANDLES

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes MG no-one likes factory mentality, but it's becoming more like it. Mad
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "factory" mentality of the Gulf has long been frustrating.

CANDLES wrote:
OH, Come ON!
Quote:
Choose your employers carefully

How many of us choose employers carefully in the West: we go where the jobs are and put up with it for a while and then move on. Same concept in the Middle East- no-one is tied by a chain to stay in that job.

I had two employers in Oman. SQU, while not Nirvana, still doesn't have the problems presented here for teachers. The other was one of the private colleges, and it too enforced the rules and backed-up the teachers. There is variation in the private colleges too, but since (most of) the students are paying, it is a different system than the MOHE or MOM colleges.

I ALWAYS chose my US employers carefully and also did so in the Gulf. Of course, in both places I had a CV that could get me the jobs I wanted. If one is entry level or has minimal credentials, one has to go with what one can get. That is why I said:

Quote:
...choose your employer carefully. And if you can't, you will likely have to be flexible...

VS
CVN-76

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To drive home what teaching in Oman is like at many employers, know there is a special departure desk at the Muscat airport to handle those teachers who signed on with agencies and quit 'properly' (they give proper notice) or are terminated. Reps from their agencies accompany these teachers and their visas are cancelled at the airport. High salaries but high turnover. Never a good thing.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The incentive to 'quit properly' that is giving the required one months notice is gone.

There is no airplane ticket out. The teacher has to pay for that regardless of whether s/he is giving notice or 'doing a runner'.

By giving a month's notice, the teacher really is the dummy as the recruitment agency is then warned and able to withhold the last month's salary. The teacher then stands at the airport, wondering if s/he will get the last missing salary transferred into her/ his bank account and how to get access to the money after departure.

Banks in Oman transfer money requiring an IBAN, which not all overseas countries use. That means, teachers have to physically withdraw the money at an ATM (with a limit of 500 RO per day) and take it to Western Union or U.A.E. exchange to have it send to their country of origin.

Try doing that, when you left the country. It will either mean returning to Oman and paying for the airplane ticket 3 times (out, in and out again) or forgoing the last month's salary.

Perhaps one is lucky and the recruitment agency puts the last salary in one's hot little hand on the day of departure.

In any case, it's better to wait until the last salary has arrived in the bank account, withdraw the money over the next three consecutive days while calling in work as sick and then running off to have a holiday to see Oman (which you don't have time during the academic year as there are no holidays except the mid year break) and then leave the country at a time of your convenience.

While this may seem unprofessional, keep in mind that the recruiter has behaved extremely poorly throughout my time with them and thus deserve such treatment.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: