Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Be Legal or Don't Come
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: I agree...... Reply with quote

People working illegally has really ruined work for foreign teachers here in Thailand. I would assume it is the same in China. There are so many similarities in the post I've read on this forum, and what happens in Thailand. A few years ago, some Canadians were told to go get fake degrees at a known spot in BKK. They were actually good teachers, according to the police. They were told to keep quiet, apologize, confess, etc...and they would walk free. They served six months in prison.....The school didn't even get a slap on the wrist.

I think if the only job offer I get in China, is one where I pay my own way, and come on a tourist visa....I'm gong to tell them I'll be there, and then do a no show. LOL. It's ironic that the Buddhist take so much pride in honesty, when, to me, it is like a part time job keeping them honest. The Global Financial Crisis has also had a negative impact on honest business. Over-charging is way more standard now than it used to be.
coldcucumber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Less than 10% of China Job Recruiters Are Even Licensed Reply with quote

Juice wrote:
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/china-expat-forum-expats-living-china/464018-cftu-confirms-1-600-china-foreign-teachers-deported-2014-so-far.html

As you can see from the above, it is what the China job agents and recruiters DON'T tell you! I would wager that less than 10% of them are even licensed to do business in China. My Recruiter went by the name of "Michelle Wang" but now I learn her real name is "Zhang Mei Li" and she uses 12 different email addresses and she just changed her disposable mobile telephone number.

While in China (before I got deported) I never once got to see or know her office location and the people she said she worked for now claim they don't even know her. Looking back, I think agents and recruiters should be avoided altogether and newbies should use the links the OP posted and find their own jobs. Before I got the boot one of my colleagues showed me a list of direct employers he got from the CFTU, but it was bad timing for me (I got picked up three days later when the visa cops came to our school unannounced).

I never even heard about SAFEA until after arriving in China.

You surely remind me of RWA, sockpuppet account maybe?
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought juice might be legit for a moment, but then the CFTU BS came up.

Sigh.

Do agree that many agencies are pure cheaters though.
Riff Raff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://lawandborder.com/faq-new-china-visa-law/#WORKING_IN_CHINA

11. What are the penalties for unauthorized employment?

Persons or companies that illegally employ foreigners may be fined 10,000 RMB per foreigner, not to exceed a total of 100,000 RMB. Any illegal gains may be confiscated. (EEAL, art. 80). Prior rules allowed for fines not exceeding 50,000 RMB. (2010 Implementing Rules, art. 44). On a related note, if a foreign entity uses a foreign national (or a PRC citizen) to establish a representative office or conduct business activities of a representative office without registration, the registration authority may order it to suspend activities and impose a penalty of RMB 50,000 to 200,000. (Administrative Regulations on the Registration of Resident Representative offices of Foreign Enterprises, art. 35).

Persons or companies who introduce jobs to ineligible foreigners may be fined 5,000 RMB per job, not to exceed a total of 50,000 RMB for a person or 100,000 RMB for a company. Any illegal gains may be confiscated. (EEAL, art. 80).

Foreigners who have violated the immigration law may be given a deadline to depart voluntarily, if appropriate, or deported. A person who has been deported is not allowed to reenter for one to five, or 10 years in the case of “severe” violations. (EEAL, arts. 62 and 81). A foreign national is responsible to pay the costs related to his or her own deportation. If the foreigner is unable to afford the expenses and engaged in illegal employment, the work unit or individual employing the alien is responsible. (State Council regs, art. 32).
doogsville

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the interesting, and most important part of the stuff below, is the repeated use of the words may be. In many cases you might as well replace them with 'is unlikely to be'. It's all down to guanxi in the end. Of course, as foreigners, we have no guanxi, so we will face the full penalty for our wrong doing. That's the chance you take when working illegally.

Riff Raff wrote:
http://lawandborder.com/faq-new-china-visa-law/#WORKING_IN_CHINA

11. What are the penalties for unauthorized employment?

Persons or companies that illegally employ foreigners may be fined 10,000 RMB per foreigner, not to exceed a total of 100,000 RMB. Any illegal gains may be confiscated. (EEAL, art. 80). Prior rules allowed for fines not exceeding 50,000 RMB. (2010 Implementing Rules, art. 44). On a related note, if a foreign entity uses a foreign national (or a PRC citizen) to establish a representative office or conduct business activities of a representative office without registration, the registration authority may order it to suspend activities and impose a penalty of RMB 50,000 to 200,000. (Administrative Regulations on the Registration of Resident Representative offices of Foreign Enterprises, art. 35).

Persons or companies who introduce jobs to ineligible foreigners may be fined 5,000 RMB per job, not to exceed a total of 50,000 RMB for a person or 100,000 RMB for a company. Any illegal gains may be confiscated. (EEAL, art. 80).

Foreigners who have violated the immigration law may be given a deadline to depart voluntarily, if appropriate, or deported. A person who has been deported is not allowed to reenter for one to five, or 10 years in the case of “severe” violations. (EEAL, arts. 62 and 81). A foreign national is responsible to pay the costs related to his or her own deportation. If the foreigner is unable to afford the expenses and engaged in illegal employment, the work unit or individual employing the alien is responsible. (State Council regs, art. 32).
Riff Raff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome reply, doogsville. I don't suggest anyone do it, but there is no fear among foreigners working for powerful people who do not try to get worker's a legal visa. I've heard numerous tell me not to worry about it. They that they're employer has power.

Your reply is honest. The other responses are a bit less so. Would the same people complain when a powerful person gets people to work illegally? No. To question someone in power may get him or her into trouble. Be legal, or don't come? Tell that to government offices that are hiring illegally. See where that gets you Very Happy
wangdaning

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if they said will instead of maybe/may, I doubt it would make a difference. People find ways of wiggling out of things. Getting busted for them might be a way to make some guanxi.
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doogsville wrote:
I think the interesting, and most important part of the stuff below, is the repeated use of the words may be. In many cases you might as well replace them with 'is unlikely to be'.

What you're saying holds some truth, but even in the States, you'll read laws and ordinances that contain what some may consider weasel words when the wording exists to give local authorities some leeway.

Some westerners in China demonize the law and law enforcement for the capricious nature of the application of the law. In some (if not many) areas, it's justified, but my experience has been that most law enforcers want to stay out of people's hair. I had a pretty scary experience a few years ago that that contradicts this, but I believe that the PSB overall would rather not mess with anyone. My observation is that they'd prefer to pay a visit, explain the law, then wait to see if you comply.

The visa laws, however, seem to be enforced more now than ever before, though I have no direct experience, and no one I know has been hauled away for visa infractions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: