Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

working while schooling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdickun83

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: working while schooling Reply with quote

I want to get a montessori certificate at a school in Thailand and I am hoping to go to school and work part time. The school would be from the school offers both morning and afternoon sessions. I am wondering how hard it would be to find work, part time, so that I don't drain all my savings. Could I pick up 15-20 hours/ week and be able to pay my bills there and such?

Thanks for any help.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: working while schooling Reply with quote

mdickun83 wrote:
I want to get a montessori certificate at a school in Thailand and I am hoping to go to school and work part time. The school would be from the school offers both morning and afternoon sessions. I am wondering how hard it would be to find work, part time, so that I don't drain all my savings. Could I pick up 15-20 hours/ week and be able to pay my bills there and such?

Thanks for any help.

Could you find work = yes.
Could you find legal work = unknown.
There are also visa considerations to think about (what visa will you be here with?).
There is currently a crackdown on border runners (people running to the border to exit and return on a fresh entry stamp rather than getting a proper visa for an extended stay).

It is illegal to work on any visa class other than non-b and if you work you are also required to obtain a work permit.

Working as a teacher requires that you hold a degree, be a native speaker (OR have a valid TOEIC certificate with a score over 600) and be over 20 years of age.

plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't any problem working illegally in Thailand. The government looks the other way and no one has ever been arrested or really bothered about working without a permit. The only problem is you have to make bimonthly visa runs, so you would have to consider that in your plans.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
There isn't any problem working illegally in Thailand. The government looks the other way and no one has ever been arrested or really bothered about working without a permit. The only problem is you have to make bimonthly visa runs, so you would have to consider that in your plans.

Not in the LOS anymore?

Don't want to be one of those who gets denied entry after a couple back-to-back border runs.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asia/409403/thai-immigration-clamps-down-on-visa-runs
http://asiancorrespondent.com/122578/thailand-visa-run-crackdown-could-create-headaches-for-expats/
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/728226-border-run-crackdown-in-full-force-at-thai-cambodian-checkpoints/

EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would d be curious to know of any EFL teachers who have been denied entry into the LOS. Personally I have never met any. Thailand will always needs tourists....and English teachers. Smile
mdickun83

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would I be able to make enough part time to cover my day to day expenses?

Also, pretty sure the school covers the visa.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crackdown is for people who enter Thailand seeking an entry stamp without a tourist visa or other type of visa. Arriving in Thailand by land only allowed a two week stamp anyway, so nobody does it that way anyway. Not much of a crackdown really. You can easily get a tourist visa from Vientienne, Laos, and when the embassy in Vientienne decides they don't want to give you a tourist visa anymore (they usually give you a warning after about a year) , its just as easy to go to Savannahket, Laos where they don't bother you ever.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdickun83 wrote:
Would I be able to make enough part time to cover my day to day expenses?

Full time wages are ~30k. Most westerners barely make it on that and usually take on extra work.

"cover my day to day expenses?" - working part time... Not unless you want to live like a Thai and certainly not in Bangkok or one of the more "touristy" areas.

mdickun83

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. Can someone also define live like a Thai for me? What does that entail?
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.arabnews.com/news/588291

Evidently the crackdown may have been nothing more than a rumor.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

different crackdown.

That article was in reference to troops rounding up illegal, undocumented (meaning usually here on an overstay or illegal entry) factory workers and hauling them back to the borders in army trucks and the unsubstantiated rumors that a number of them were just shot instead of sent away.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/415941/cambodia-slams-thailand-over-post-coup-worker-exodus
http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/415928/don-t-turn-a-blind-eye-to-migrant-woes

It is different than the crackdown on people (typically westerners) doing visa runs to maintain extended stays in Thailand and being denied re-entry into the kingdom (so stuck in a neighboring country).

EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crackdown won't effect tourists and EFL teachers arriving by plane at Bangkok's airports...who are always welcome in Thailand. Enjoy Thailand! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: