Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to CELTA want work in Spain, best way to do it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenevieveNZ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: New to CELTA want work in Spain, best way to do it? Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

My name is Genevieve I am a 26yo New Zealander and I have just completed my CELTA. I am about to go to Europe to travel and eventually get a job teaching. I have an EU passport so Europe is the easiest option for me in terms of not needing a visa etc. I have almost completed a bachelors degree and have a background in elite sport.

I have previously learnt Spanish so I really want to teach in Spain but I am finding it very difficult to get a job from this end (NZ). Does anybody have any advice about teaching in Spain? best way to get a job? Is Madrid where I am most likely to find a job and can anyone recommend some language schools in Madrid or Barcelona?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Gen
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably going to get better/more advice if you post on the Spain forum below, but the basic info on this is that most employers in the EU region don't hire from abroad.

Why take a chance on someone sight-unseen when there are plenty of teachers already here, ready to interview in person and do a demo lesson? This is a very different job market from that in Asia, for example, where there is stronger demand for teachers.

Come over in the peak hiring season (very end August through early October) and walk around with your CV in hand. You'll find something.

VERY little going on until the summer holidays are over, by the way. Holidays are taken seriously here.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Come over in the peak hiring season (very end August through early October) and walk around with your CV in hand. You'll find something.

But as a non-EU citizen it would probably be illegal work. EU rules only allow visas for non-EU citizens if the employer can make the case that no EU citizen is qualified/available for the job, unlikely considering the number of Brits available.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenevieveNZ wrote:
...I have an EU passport so Europe is the easiest option for me in terms of not needing a visa etc. ...

MuscatGary wrote:

But as a non-EU citizen it would probably be illegal work. EU rules only allow visas for non-EU citizens if the employer can make the case that no EU citizen is qualified/available for the job, unlikely considering the number of Brits available.

That's not an issue for the OP.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops! Missed the passport reference!
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually given the EU passport why not apply for a summer school job? I've seen a few adverts in the last week or so for Spain and at least then you would have a foot in the door.
GenevieveNZ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses, yes maybe I will post in the Spain forum too. I feel very nervous about getting over there with no job already set up but I am realising it is very difficult from this end. I guess I was just wondering if it is likely I can pick one up first time just by door knocking? MuscatGary where have you seen the summer school job posts?

Thanks everybody!

Gen
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenevieveNZ wrote:
MuscatGary where have you seen the summer school job posts?Gen

tefl.com
SunShan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of job adverts on TEFL.com for jobs in Spain starting September until June 2015.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: