Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Middle East without experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheStudent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Middle East without experience Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the world of TEFL and am basically just trying to weigh out my options (if any).

I'm a Native English Speaker from Canada, with a BComn, and am hoping to get TEFL certified in the near future.

I'm not really expecting much in terms of compensation... As I understand, everyone must pay their dues... My main objective is to simply get my foot in the door, and learn a bit of Arabic.

Furthermore, I do not have any issues working in conservative (or 'boring') regions such as Saudi Arabia. As long as I can read, study Arabic, and get some exercise every once in a while, I think I'll be OK.

Do I stand any chance landing work in the Mid-East? If so, where?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Gulezar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle East without experience Reply with quote

TheStudent wrote:
I'm not really expecting much in terms of compensation... As I understand, everyone must pay their dues... My main objective is to simply get my foot in the door, and learn a bit of Arabic.

Furthermore, I do not have any issues working in conservative (or 'boring') regions such as Saudi Arabia. As long as I can read, study Arabic, and get some exercise every once in a while, I think I'll be OK.

Exercise depends on your gender and your employer in KSA. The men are sometimes given quite nice gym facilities; however, if you are a woman, you might find yourself walking stairs for exercise or circling inside the walls of your compound.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend that you look at getting a CELTA in the British Council in Egypt or Morocco. That will get you certified and into an Arabic speaking country at the same time. It will also give you a better chance at getting some experience as you learn or soon after.

You will need a bit of cash put aside at home to live on as it takes awhile to be able to support yourself even after you finish the CELTA. There are a number of language schools where one can pick up courses... and one can slowly built up private lessons... especially if you like working with kids.

Check out the British Council CELTA locations on their website.

VS
TheStudent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle East without experience Reply with quote

Gulezar wrote:

Exercise depends on your gender and your employer in KSA. The men are sometimes given quite nice gym facilities; however, if you are a woman, you might find yourself walking stairs for exercise or circling inside the walls of your compound.

Male... and exercise for me could be as simple as going for a jog with a combination of pushups and pull ups at home.

Thanks!
TheStudent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
I would recommend that you look at getting a CELTA in the British Council in Egypt or Morocco. That will get you certified and into an Arabic speaking country at the same time. It will also give you a better chance at getting some experience as you learn or soon after.

You will need a bit of cash put aside at home to live on as it takes awhile to be able to support yourself even after you finish the CELTA. There are a number of language schools where one can pick up courses... and one can slowly built up private lessons... especially if you like working with kids.

Check out the British Council CELTA locations on their website.

VS

Thanks VS...

Is CELTA a must in the Middle East? Or would Trinity work as well? How about other in-class TEFL Certification programs?

I was looking into an online course (with an in-class practicum), but I'm assuming this will not be acceptable for most Middle Eastern employers...

I'm located in Toronto, so would I be better off just getting certified at home, or just heading out to a place like Morocco where I may be able to find employment soon after I finish?

Thanks!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CELTA is the preferred cert in the Middle East. I suggested doing it there because it gives you the chance to do some networking so that once you finish the CELTA, finding a job becomes easier.

Online certs are not recognized anywhere in the Middle East countries where a CERT is required. The point of the CERT is to know that you have had supervised classroom teaching of actual students.

VS
tigress

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@thestudent

I'm in a similar situation, no tefl cert, however my degree majors in English and Media and Communications Studies, I have a post grad diploma in Marketing Management and currently at dissertation stage for my MBA.

South African with approximately 3 years corporate experience, 3 years as a training manager and 1 year self-employed- no formal 'school teaching'. I've secured an offer to work in Saudi.

From what I've read on this site, as a 'newbie' you'd be lucky to secure work in the ME, so this first job is a foot in the door as you mentioned.

Have you been placed since your last posting?

Thank you to the posters for their advice on this thread Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: