Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laos 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laos used to be pristine...nature everywhere..trees, mountains with breathtaking scenery and rivers/waterfalls etc. The reality is it is now in a flux of constant environmental change...trees are being cut down at a phenomenal pace to make way for CHINESE and THAI investors who want to build more and more hotels, resorts and industrial plants/factories which will no doubt destroy its natural habitat. HUMAN GREED aka money is the root of all evil when it comes to investment you INVESTORS are simply destroying the natural habitat of a beautiful country and making its people homeless pave the way for your own greedy developmental plans. The Lao damn being constructed on the Mekong River is a case in point.. A truly sad state of affairs awaits Laos and the Lao people...the same thing is now happening to its neighbour Myanmar....the clock is ticking away for Laos....and it is soon to become the next Asian tiger aka MEGALOPOLIS...and will compete with the likes of its neighbours to the south, east, west and of course its powerful capitalistic neighbour to the north... Goodbye beautiful Laos!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
cb400

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on the ground in Vientiane right now. I was in Vietnam for 7 years and like many members here I have visited Laos many times in the past. I decided to come over after my last position in HCMC went belly up.

Here are my personal observations on what the ESL scene is like here.

There is quite a bit of work for teachers mostly through language centers. You are only going to find work being on the ground and knocking on doors old school. I've been here 3 weeks and offered 3 positions though I have turned down 2 for personal reasons. The bulk of the classes are the evening/weekend work though the daytime stuff is out there but a little harder to find. The schools seemed better managed than the stuff I saw in Vietnam, but that isn't saying much. Really only the better off can afford the language centers so you will be teaching students who are really better off, though they are still extremely polite and hardworking. The students are very shy and getting them to open up and speak in class is a challenge, but it will happen over time.

Pay seems to fluctuate between 10-15$ USD an hour depending on exp. and qualifications. Some schools will offer less than that explaining that Laos is a poor country, but it is hard to believe when you are parked next to the owners BMW and the receptionist is driving a brand new Landcruiser.

As for the city of Vientiane I am a little disappointed. The relaxed lovely little 'town' is now chocked with cars and traffic is quite often at a standstill as the roads are tiny. It feels like the amount of cars ash increased by 50% in only a few years, there is obviously an explosion of money here and it seems to be going into cars more than anything else. 3 days ago I saw a Ferrari (the new one) and 2 Rolls as I was stuck in traffic. Even my 17 year old students are driving brand new Toyota Landcruisers and don't have a license. Of course there is nothing wrong with development and 'progress' but now the Lao are learning the bad habits of their more advance neighbors... driving in the wrong side of the road, running redlights and parking absolutely anywhere they feel. Yesterday a huge pickup truck blocked in all the motorbikes at a coffee shop (double parked the wrong way) and everyone had to move there bikes just to get one out from the middle as the truck had block us all in. Personally I use to love the easy of getting around VTE but now it has a significant amount of traffic and pollution that goes with it.

I also find the cost of day to day life is more than Vietnam and Thailand, food, transport and accommodation are all about 25% more than the equivalent in TH and VN.

Overall Laos is still amazing and under-developed compared to its neighbors but erosion of manners and the crazy driving habits that have seemed to come out of nowhere might surprise people who have spent time here in the past.

Just my 2 cents.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

Yes Laos is becoming more like its neighbours to the south and north...this is what happens when consumerism reigns free...and people lose their traditional way of culture and life in the name of money...this is happening everywhere in Southeast Asia...pretty soon development will destroy the pristine nature of the country. A very sad state of affairs indeed! Shocked Shocked Shocked
cb400

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed.
likwid_777

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a brand new Lambo roaring up the main drag next to the Mekong. Something tells me that if the cops dared to pull him up, they'd be hauled over the coals. On the other hand, if he had to pay a bribe, he could surely afford it. He was going about 100km/ph up that stretch... What an idiot. Affording a new Lambo in Laos, whoa, that must by pretty much Bill Gates rich in a relative sense.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ESL104

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give my experience of Laos, which is admittedly restricted to a couple of visa runs there.

It's a complete dump and I have no idea why anyone would wish to spend a second longer in that place than they have to. Think 'Thailand', but with absolutely anything that makes Thailand good taken away, so you're just left with the crap parts. You know what I think the easiest job in the whole of Asia is? The guy in charge of handling overstays on Lao visas. Must be nice to sit in an office getting paid for doing absolutely nothing and processing no one.

Some highlights:

- Vientiane is a dirty, horrible city. Dust everywhere. Rubbish everywhere.

- The pay is crap.

- Nightlife is awful, especially compared to Thailand.

- On a related note, having a sexual relationship with a Lao citizen if you're not Lao yourself, is illegal. And it's not illegal in the sense that everyone does it and no one cares, it is actually enforced.

- Food is terrible.

- The people are so stupid they make Thais look like Harvard MBA grads.

- Hardly any westerners, western food etc. You're definitely in the middle of nowhere here.

So yeah, come on over if you fancy living in a crapshack on $1000 a month while being celibate and bored out of your skull.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sabai Dee Lao!!!!!!!
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb400 wrote:
Some schools will offer less than that explaining that Laos is a poor country, but it is hard to believe when you are parked next to the owners BMW and the receptionist is driving a brand new Landcruiser.

As for the city of Vientiane I am a little disappointed. The relaxed lovely little 'town' is now chocked with cars and traffic is quite often at a standstill as the roads are tiny.

This is in Siem Reap too. Mostly families of party members expropriating cash from development agencies. In Vientienne there is the Arch du Triomphe replica. They used cement donated to make an airport runway for that. The replica is actually bigger than the real thing. Contact your Congressman or MP and tell them no more money for these countries period. According to "The Economist" magazine a study in Africa showed that there was a correlation between more free money handed out to a country and diminishing roads. All because of corruption.

As frustrating as Thailand is, it is better than these countries by a long shot.
cb400

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow esl014, that was a fairly brutal review but quite honest. I think many of the teachers who have ended up there (not all) may have over-romanticized the place from vacations there. Though I do not think Vientiane is a shit-hole, the fairly new pollution and massive traffic (45% increase in cars in 2 years, yet there is only 3-4 major roads in the whole city) have eroded the charm most of us loved. I stayed for the famous That Luong festival and was amazed of the amount of garbage lying around and rotting in the 35C heat.. I was almost sick to my stomach and left.. granted this was the last day, but the garbage was ankle high over the whole area, something your would expect in India or Bangladesh but Laos? ( I've got photos to prove it).

As a teaching location? 1000-1400 a month is a struggle to get, requiring lots of hours and running around the said traffic and heat. I also notice that the dollar amount doesn't go so far here as everything is imported from Thailand with a 40% tax doesn't help. Several of the teachers I have met live month to month and saving potential doesn't seem anything like China or Vietnam for ESL teachers. Also the whole NGO economy is driving prices up with 3000$ villas and 100000$ used cars everywhere, not something the average ESL teacher can afford ( I know I can't).

There is some night life, but it is very limited. Lao night clubs seem to be the same as the Vietnamese versions, shitty techno music and people standing around piling in beer lao, the idea of sitting around with a few friends and drinking some beers would drive most Lao crazy and they would be bored shitless as they love loud music and powering the beer in, instead of just sipping and chatting.

I am leaving Laos shortly.. it has been a difficult time as I actually tried for years to get a job here and took a step backwards to do it. Once reality caught up with me I cannot justify staying when I was making double/triple in VN, with a lower cost or living and more food/bars/places to go options available as a lower cost.

Laos will go through a lot of changes in the nest few years and it could be good or bad. A good local friend I have (the only one I would really call a friend) said she loved the fact that Laos was modernizing yet she feels that it is being sold to the hiest bidder. She said she fears that Laos just might become a province of Thailand or China in the next few years and we both agree that would be a shame.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES Laos will be eaten up by its ultra capitalistic neighboors to the north and south...GREED and MONEY are the motto these days ....now that they have fully embraced the free market economy..foreign investors will soon create another concrete mega-jungle in SE Asia!!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
kurtz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One must truely love a country to earn a paltry $1000-$1500, or even less than $2000 IMHO. It is a little sad seeing the rather nauseating NGO set driving around in expensive white 4WDs and earning Western type wages while chanting " I am helping this country" like a mantra. This is while corrupt officials get rich, and the poor stay poor. With this influx of NGOs the local economy gets inflated and locals get greedy; I see it every day where I am.

With this fast money the newly rich appear with their overfed, brattish and demanding children, and their parents with third rate manners who rate a teacher by their clothes This was happening in Vietnam when I left, and I expect Laos and the neighboring countries will follow.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:
who rate a teacher by their clothes

and by how well they keep the brats entertained.

Was colonialism really wrong? Western states should not respect the borders of these rotten states the way they respect the borders of each other. Humanitarianism is the only thing that should matter when dealing with these rotten to the core countries.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

English teachers aka Edutainers are like android smartphones here....just push the delete button....and another one will pop up.Unfortunately they are a dime a dozen. Ultra capitalism aka Human Greed (Manure) & MONEY rules here...as in most of SE ASIA countries (including former Indochina)....EFL teachers are simply looked at as a disposable commodity!!!! Shocked
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
English teachers aka Edutainers are like android smartphones here....just push the delete button....and another one will pop up.Unfortunately they are a dime a dozen.

Ultra capitalism aka Human Greed (Manure) & MONEY rules here...as in most of SE ASIA countries (including former Indochina)

EFL teachers are simply looked at as a disposable commodity!

Nice analogy.

An EFL teacher is looking to get set up in south-east Asia. His choices are: Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos.

Which one do you tell him to give it a shot in and why?

Would you agree with this:

For the qualified, experienced TEFL'er: (1) Vietnam, (2) Thailand, (3) Cambodia, (3) Laos.

For the inexperienced TEFL'er: (1) Thailand, (2) Cambodia, (3) Laos, (4) Vietnam.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting set-up now...I would go for Malaysia...everywhere else in SE Asia is already saturated with Edutainers...including the Land of Farang! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: