Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laos 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Getting set-up now...I would go for Malaysia...everywhere else in SE Asia is already saturated with Edutainers...including the Land of Farang! Shocked

Yeah, that's why I put Thailand as a destination for qualified, experienced TEFL teachers, since they'd be looking at the top paying jobs with the best working conditions and benefits.

But maybe it's just so saturated that experience and qualifications no longer mean anything.

Malaysia is very interesting. I would love to live and work in Malaysia, providing the compensation, benefits and working conditions were good.
mitsui

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malaysia has the English Fellow program for Americans.
Malaysia wants it as English has gotten worse in the country.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would NOT recommend Thailand to anybody for any thing right now. They're seriously on the verge economically, politically and socially. Going there to teach would be a very foolish mistake.

As for Lao PDR, with an estimated population of just 6 million and continued LDC (Least Developed Country) status, the market is tiny and opportunities for teaching are quite limited. If you have the background and skills, trying to find a job in the development industry would be a much better idea.
kurtz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things seem to be getting harder in Asia; I for one aren't one of the " if you're really frugal and live like a local, you might be able to squirrel away 150 quid a month" set, but it seems a growing trend in SE Asia. One must be a bit lucky and network these days. I saw a great gig in Vietnam, but doing IELTS test prep isn't very stimulating.

As for Laos, I would keep it as a travel destination only. I was a bit disappointed with the place; a lot of the forest had been decimated, the locals were less than engaging and it had a fair number of arrogant European package tourists. I quite liked Luang Prabang; I realized it wasn't the " real" Laos, but if one just wants a simple vacation, it is a good spot, especially across the river. I have had two decades of crappy, cramped and torturous bus journeys and staying in dirty towns with poor accommodation - one gets a little older and what defines a good holiday changes as well. Not ready to join tbe oackage tour set for another 20 year I think though.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES things are getting harder especially in SE ASIA for Qualified EFL Instructors....seems to me Qualified EFL instructors are not wanted that much anymore...and I think the reasons are obvious by many! Shocked Shocked
cb400

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traffic in Laos: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-22/volunteers-save-lives-on-streets-of-vientiane/5910698
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes agreed TRAFFIC in Lao's capital is horrible...as is the case in Vietnam's megacities of Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh...if one really wants answers one not need to look any further...this is ALL the result of ultra Neo Capitalism. Freedom to do as one pleases without regard for his fellow man where selfishness and greed reign free...and where rules are made to be broken. Laos and Vietnam have a lot in common with this...now it's Yangon, Myanmar's turn!!! Shocked
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Freedom to do as one pleases without regard for his fellow man where selfishness and greed reign free...and where rules are made to be broken. Laos and Vietnam have a lot in common with this...now it's Yangon, Myanmar's turn!!! Shocked

The lack of Judeo-Christian morals applies to all the non-West.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
EFL Educator wrote:
Freedom to do as one pleases without regard for his fellow man where selfishness and greed reign free...and where rules are made to be broken. Laos and Vietnam have a lot in common with this...now it's Yangon, Myanmar's turn!!! Shocked

The lack of Judeo-Christian morals applies to all the non-West.

Judeo-Christian morals? Now there's an oxymoron if I ever saw one!
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:

Doesn't seem that way to me. Order, reason, investigation into how God's creation works, and the possibility that others deserve the same things that apply to you, all seem pretty Judeo-Christian to me.
kurtz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
EFL Educator wrote:

The lack of Judeo-Chryistian morals applies to all the non-West.

I really hope you're just trying to wind people up with that comment, if you're not, well time for the mods to step in.
cb400

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the article cited lack of education, drinking and driving, no policing and no real emergency services as the cause of many of those accidents.

Also car ownership has increased 40% in the last 2 years with most of those people have never driven a car or even a motorbike, jumping right into the Landcruiser with almost no motorized vehicle experience, it was really a given that this type of carnage on the roads was going to happen.

Its a shame really.
cb400

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://thediplomat.com/2014/12/the-growing-mekong-controversy/

Interesting article about the effects of Lao's dam projects are going to have on Vietnam and Cambodia. It seems clear that the Lao government is selling out to the Chinese and will become another province of the PRC, though the people and culture are closely related to the Thai people.

It is really messed up that 'man' can destroy so much of the environment around us for short term gain. Maybe the Chinese are realizing that they have caused so much damage to their environment that the clock is ticking for them and they will have to forcible expand to get clean air and water soon?

Even the Vietnamese are selling prime beach real-estate to the Chinese for them to build Chinese power plants in Vietnam!
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no doubt that the Chinese are the major investors in Laos. You can even see the Lao people learning to speak Chinese nowadays as their Chinese bosses insist on this..thus .teaching.English as a second language doesn't seem to be much of a priority there with the working class as is in neighbouring ASEAN countries like Vietnam and Myanmar.. Considering the fact that most Laotians are still very poor and have limited education there is really not much they can do to increase their prospects for work. Shocked
steki47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
MuscatGary wrote:

Doesn't seem that way to me. Order, reason, investigation into how God's creation works, and the possibility that others deserve the same things that apply to you, all seem pretty Judeo-Christian to me.

Throw in rule of law, abstract principles, moral universalism and a more individualistic relationship with God (direct with Protestants) are characteristics of Christian Western societies that I do not see much of in Asia. For better or worse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: