Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

teaching w/ trailing spouse and children

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yorkty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: teaching w/ trailing spouse and children Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I have posted before asking about something similar (in the Russia forum), but I now have my TEFL certificate and will be graduating this spring so I thought I would ask a more specific question since getting work is becoming a possibility.

I will have a trailing spouse and two young children (3yo and newborn). Does anyone have any recommendations for schools that have accommodated trailing families? I imagine the Asian countries would be most likely to help. However my wife has a short list of Asian countries she would be willing to live in: Indonesia, Malaysia, Japan, Thailand and the South Pacific islands. Given these countries, can anyone point to language schools that would possibly accommodate us and I can focus my applications on them.

I would also love to hear any general comments about teaching with a family in Asia. Thanks in advance!
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malaysia is family friendly...and the TEFL wages are the highest in SE Asia....Good luck!
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: teaching w/ trailing spouse and children Reply with quote

yorkty wrote:
Hey everyone. I have posted before asking about something similar (in the Russia forum), but I now have my TEFL certificate and will be graduating this spring so I thought I would ask a more specific question since getting work is becoming a possibility.

I will have a trailing spouse and two young children (3yo and newborn). Does anyone have any recommendations for schools that have accommodated trailing families? I imagine the Asian countries would be most likely to help. However my wife has a short list of Asian countries she would be willing to live in: Indonesia, Malaysia, Japan, Thailand and the South Pacific islands. Given these countries, can anyone point to language schools that would possibly accommodate us and I can focus my applications on them.

I would also love to hear any general comments about teaching with a family in Asia. Thanks in advance!

Your kids are young enough that you should be able to travel and teach for a few years before their education (beyond kindergarten) becomes an issue.

My personal advice, rather than trying to find work with a "trailing spouse and children" would be to simply "find work".

Unless you actually qualify for top level international schools (you have a B.Ed, 2 years of experience and a teacher's license) your chances of getting hired while outside the country AND trying to bring your family with you at the same time, are slim at best.

Back to the "find work".

All of the countries on your list allow you to bring your spouse and kids over on a "dependent family visa".

My advice would be to find work, get settled, make sure that what you are in (work, housing, city, situation)is what you thought you would be in.

Truth in advertising and labor law protections are NOT what they are in the US and remedying a problem situation are be a problem (not to mention expensive, time consuming and may require you to change countries in a hurry).

AFTER you are comfortably settled you can bring your family over to join you.

This will negate the problems you will face trying to find a job with "family in tow"
and
save you the headache of being in a problematic situation abroad (common enough) and having to worry about your family being in it with you. There is NOTHING worse than being stuck abroad, not enough cash in your pocket to get out and worrying about your family being there with you at the same time.

1) find work.
2) land, get settled, make sure you will actually get paid and it was as advertised.
3) bring family over.
4) enjoy your life abroad as an expat.

yorkty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help! It does make sense to find work first and then get the family over there. I'll keep looking and see what happens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: