Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Experienced teacher- Do I really need a CELTA?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who avoid getting proper teacher training (includes supervised/assessed teaching practice) likely fear they'll be negatively judged and criticized... as well as traumatized for the rest of their lives. Nah.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowadays it's best to get a DELTA....it is an extremely competitive EFL market out there.....the more qualifications you have the better it is to find a decent paying job teaching English.. I think in the future everyone will be required also to have an MA in English or TEFL to find a job.....iit's all about supply and demand!!!! Shocked
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Nowadays it's best to get a DELTA....it is an extremely competitive EFL market out there.....the more qualifications you have the better it is to find a decent paying job teaching English.. I think in the future everyone will be required also to have an MA in English or TEFL to find a job.....iit's all about supply and demand!!!! Shocked

TKT, CELTA, DELTA & ICELT are the norm nowadays, get on-board the bandwagon today!

http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/teaching-english/teaching-qualifications/
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Cert of some kind, equivalent to a CELTA. I got mine at the advanced age of 52 - after 30 years teaching !
Art78

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Experienced teacher: Go for the CELTA! Reply with quote

Dear bluetortilla:

If I were you, I would go ahead and register for a CELTA course. Why? Because that's the Mercedes-Benz of all TEFL certificates. I did my CELTA course last March and everyone in my class were experienced teachers. A few classmates even had MAs in TEFL! The reason my CELTA classmates and I did this course was to improve our teaching skills and get a qualifications that will open doors!

When you apply for a CELTA program, leave out any references that you have done any previous TEFL course work unless it's the TKT (Teaching Knowledge Test). If you do get accepted into a CELTA course, leave your past teaching experiences at the door. You want to be able to show your CELTA trainers that you can apply what you have learned during the observed teaching practices.

BTW, I have five years of TEFL experience (3 years teaching kids and 2) years teaching adults) in South Korea before I started my CELTA.
kurtz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:

Whilst I feel a sudden urge to go to the loo after reading most of this guy's posts, I think there is some sense in this. There are many punters who have a few years up their sleeve of experience, as well as the very basic CELTA, which although has a fairly small teaching component in it, it doesn't fully prepare you for the classroom. It makes sense to get a leg up on those who think all they need is a CELTA by getting a Delta.

IMHO, the CELTA is the very minimum qualification you should have. It gives you an awareness of what you are doing wrong in the classroom, but as it's only a 4 week course, it only serves as an introduction to teaching. If you're scared of getting feedback from your peers and a CELTA trainer, it is best to hang up your board marker and go flip some burgers.

What is teaching anyways? Again, IMHO, it's something you learn from trial and error, reflection and self study in terms of methodology and linguistics (both of which most EFL teachers need improvement on - myself included). A CELTA is useful for opening up a few doors early in your career, but if you're serious about EFL, further study and qualifications are required for the better jobs. I was a bit lost without the CELTA early on and I think I'm a much better teacher after doing it.
adaruby

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:
EFL Educator wrote:

Whilst I feel a sudden urge to go to the loo after reading most of this guy's posts, I think there is some sense in this. There are many punters who have a few years up their sleeve of experience, as well as the very basic CELTA, which although has a fairly small teaching component in it, it doesn't fully prepare you for the classroom. It makes sense to get a leg up on those who think all they need is a CELTA by getting a Delta.

IMHO, the CELTA is the very minimum qualification you should have. It gives you an awareness of what you are doing wrong in the classroom, but as it's only a 4 week course, it only serves as an introduction to teaching. If you're scared of getting feedback from your peers and a CELTA trainer, it is best to hang up your board marker and go flip some burgers.

What is teaching anyways? Again, IMHO, it's something you learn from trial and error, reflection and self study in terms of methodology and linguistics (both of which most EFL teachers need improvement on - myself included). A CELTA is useful for opening up a few doors early in your career, but if you're serious about EFL, further study and qualifications are required for the better jobs. I was a bit lost without the CELTA early on and I think I'm a much better teacher after doing it.

Good post. I work with a guy who recently did his CELTA and he feels that it has made him a much better teacher- having previously worked for 8 years with just a random TEFL qualification.

Next stop for him is the DELTA and, based on feedback from his most recent observation, trial and error, reflection and self study in terms of methodology is something he's well set for with the solid foundations that the CELTA has given him.
VietCanada

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Experienced teacher- Do I really need a CELTA? Reply with quote

bluetortilla wrote:
I'm 50 years old, have been teaching English mostly full time since I was 23, have two BA's, owned a training school for 15 years in Japan, ran the English program at a public elementary school in Japan for three years (before ALT's became hugely popular), and I've earned the first level in the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (in my day knowing a second language was expected for TESOL teaching, at least in the U.S.). I also have three university credits with high marks in TESOL, the equivalent of a CELTA, and I was a member of both JALT and ETJ for about twenty years. Now I'm interested in post-grad studies in SE Asian languages and want to teach part time to make ends meet.
In spite of all this experience and equivalent qualifications, do I STILL need a CELTA just to teach some English classes?
Is CELTA a racket? If yes, why are people agreeing to do it? No offense- I'm sure it's really useful to beginning teachers and all, but I can't imagine someone with my qualifications (not bragging!!!) being blocked from teaching at most schools just because I don't have it. Ack! Please tell me I don't need it!

Not in SE Asia.

Most countries just require a Bachelors. VN requires a teaching cert which could be a TEFL of any sort.

Most of SE Asia is about teaching children. You might teach adults at times but not enough to make the money you'd need to pay your rent here.

Having said that if you feel that some particular TEFL cert is going to make you a better teacher and you the money and time then go for it. Just don't expect that a country or region in which most students are children are going to see any value in a TEFL (any TEFL) geared towards teaching adults or business or the transgendered for that matter.

Experience making pizzas is not going to be of much help to you in a quest for a career as a shoe salesman. Spend your money wisely. Get a TEFL or other Cert that is actually about the student you want to teach. Choose your country accordingly as well.
kurtz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Experienced teacher- Do I really need a CELTA? Reply with quote

VietCanada wrote:
bluetortilla wrote:
I'm 50 years old, have been teaching English mostly full time since I was 23, have two BA's, owned a training school for 15 years in Japan, ran the English program at a public elementary school in Japan for three years (before ALT's became hugely popular), and I've earned the first level in the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (in my day knowing a second language was expected for TESOL teaching, at least in the U.S.). I also have three university credits with high marks in TESOL, the equivalent of a CELTA, and I was a member of both JALT and ETJ for about twenty years. Now I'm interested in post-grad studies in SE Asian languages and want to teach part time to make ends meet.
In spite of all this experience and equivalent qualifications, do I STILL need a CELTA just to teach some English classes?
Is CELTA a racket? If yes, why are people agreeing to do it? No offense- I'm sure it's really useful to beginning teachers and all, but I can't imagine someone with my qualifications (not bragging!!!) being blocked from teaching at most schools just because I don't have it. Ack! Please tell me I don't need it!

Not in SE Asia.

Most countries just require a Bachelors. VN requires a teaching cert which could be a TEFL of any sort.

Most of SE Asia is about teaching children. You might teach adults at times but not enough to make the money you'd need to pay your rent here.

Having said that if you feel that some particular TEFL cert is going to make you a better teacher and you the money and time then go for it. Just don't expect that a country or region in which most students are children are going to see any value in a TEFL (any TEFL) geared towards teaching adults or business or the transgendered for that matter.

Experience making pizzas is not going to be of much help to you in a quest for a career as a shoe salesman. Spend your money wisely. Get a TEFL or other Cert that is actually about the student you want to teach. Choose your country accordingly as well.
I

Babble.

Go check the better jobs in SE Asia. A CELTA or equivalent is required. A tefl cert with an OBSERVED teaching component is the minimum needed. For instance, ILA, an entry-level mill which has a good reputation requires its teachers to have tefl cert with an observed component. Those without said cert can take a shot at some of the crappiest teaching jobs in Asia. Thanks but no thanks.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubleplusgood comment!
VietCanada

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's just one example from one of the largest employers in Vietnam.

http://www.vus.edu.vn/en/teaching-faculty/related-links/homepage

Click on Teaching Faculties.

Anyone who's actually worked in VN would know that this is typical of teaching positions at the better language institutes and even the smaller international schools. SNA for example offers a BEd to their teachers along with other PD. You would need to state your PD plan in order to maintain your employment at that school and many others.

People who've actually worked in VN would also know that seminars are offered by others such as Pearson Publishing. You probably need to go through your school to attend theses things. A sign of what kind of school you're working for and also a sign of how much you have learned about working in VN.

http://tuoitrenews.vn/education/1025/vietnam-partners-with-pearson-to-prepare-english-textbooks

So, as I and others on the VN forum have said- get a TEFL to go along with your bachelors degree and check out your country of choice. Professional development is terrific once you've had some experience and can decide what you want to do in EFL. Doing it first is a bit weird and certainly very expensive.

More Pearson:

http://pearsonapac.com/

Last edited by VietCanada on Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celta is initial training. It is not really professional development. So it is not at all weird to take a pre-service course before getting a job.

I've clicked on your site and have found only information about in-house seminars. Nothing about about getting a basic cert with observations etc. Is it assumed that employees already have a Celta cert or equivalent?
VietCanada

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Celta is initial training. It is not really professional development. So it is not at all weird to take a pre-service course before getting a job.

I've clicked on your site and have found only information about in-house seminars. Nothing about about getting a basic cert with observations etc. Is it assumed that employees already have a Celta cert or equivalent?

CELTA is initial training for teaching adults. That's what the 'A' in CELTA and DELTA stand for.

Asia is far more diverse than that. Most if not all jobs are teaching children. There are many options in TEFL Certs.. Most Asian countries I've looked at have TEFL programs with observed lessons (teaching local children for example as opposed to European adults) offered by large employers.

Just 4 u

http://www.southeastasiabackpacker.com/activities/tefl/faqs

Google is everyone's friend!

It's probably a good idea to do a search before speaking about something you know nothing about. Such as teaching in SE Asia eh?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a different, third, link. Aimed it seems at backpackers. Thanks so much for that. So glad I have a friend in Google.

Not at all sure why you posted this link, though.

As for teaching 'only' kiddies in Asia, is this like your assertion in Vietnam that got laughed off the board? By people who know something about it...
VietCanada

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
This is a different, third, link. Aimed it seems at backpackers. Thanks so much for that. So glad I have a friend in Google.

Not at all sure why you posted this link, though.

As for teaching 'only' kiddies in Asia, is this like your assertion in Vietnam that got laughed off the board? By people who know something about it...

That is a blatant lie and you know it since posters in threads that you push your pet TEFL CERT have pointed this out to you. I've read three examples just tonight.

Having said that- you jumping on a word in the link as opposed to actually reading it or doing a search and checking out the results is well, boring. You need a new act. 'HIC' was working out well for you. Why not go back to what brought ya!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: