Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa free stamp in passport still need work permit?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okie from Muskogee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Visa free stamp in passport still need work permit? Reply with quote

A quicky question for y'all.

A friend of mine has one of them visa free (exempt) sticker in his passport for marrying a vietnamese woman. Does he still need to get a work permit to teach in vietnam?
mushroom_season

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer since I am on the same visa. Yes he still does need the work permit to work in Vietnam. No ifs or buts on that one.
Okie from Muskogee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mushroom_season wrote:
Short answer since I am on the same visa. Yes he still does need the work permit to work in Vietnam. No ifs or buts on that one.

I do appreciate your kind response.
Okie from Muskogee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He went to a language center to apply for a teaching job. He showed his visa free stamp in his passport and the manager told him he doesn't need any WP. He got the job.
skarper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmn. The manager is lying. Simple as that.

I'm sure many people do work long term without a WP [whether or not they have the visa exemption stamp] but it is not legal and the OPs friend should be aware of this.
ieltsteacher102

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

regarding work permit visa etc reality is that if you have a visa you can work in vietnam know many people who have residence card no work permit like myself and never an issue people with visa no work permit no issue i think this is how ti works no one is being deported has anyone ever been deported i mean a teacher dont think so the visa is the key to work in vietnam not the work permit have a friend who has work permit but no visa dont no the details but he has to leave i will alwys choose the res card over the wp oh well life is good
skarper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW - out of breath just reading that!

I agree that there are the rules and then there is the practice.

OP's friend needs a WP to be LEGAL. Not to actually work [illegally as many or maybe even most do]. It's one of the niceties of life here.
mushroom_season

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People can and do get deported. Its best to have a work permit from at least one company just in case. You never know what might happen to you. It is especially serious since the OP is married. Enforced separation can be difficult to live with.
ieltsteacher102

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow english teachers can and do get deported sounds like you have some evidence i we would like to hear the details by the way im feeling scared now should i leave my apertmant go to my class tonight please advise jeez i better pop a shroom ahh life is good
ieltsteacher102

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanted to edit my last message but dsont know how cant be bothered regarding the visa free ecempt sticker is it free and how long does it last i have a friend and he told me every 3 months has to give some cash to someone he also seems to find work easily due to his visa status no wp again the visa is king life is good
mushroom_season

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suit yourself. I was just trying to encourage your friend to have his bases covered. One or two less wankers to worry about if the shit hits the fan for you bozos. There are periodical crackdowns. I am sure you are aware. In fact we just finished one recently. Your friend just goes to Nguyen Du to stamp his passport at a government office for the stamp price of 212 000 Dong. No need to give it to another friend who will just ask for his rose.
ieltsteacher102

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so nothing about teachers being deported guess it never happened crackdowns never seen one still waiting for the black boots what is a crackdown well my experiecse is difficulties getting visas or just more expensive to get visa when do crackdowns happen well before lunar new year before the politburo meetings anttime they need money or to show a little power but it means nothing if you have a visa i cant get wp its my schools responsibility if they dont ok i have visa and they get me visa if mot i get visa myself who cares dont know exact numbers but estimate 95% teachers have no wp so shit hits the fan what does thatmean nothing it wont happen and if so means more expensive visas the vietnamese officials want money easy money thats it i think this has been going on for years and yeras and will continue for years but somepeople try to say its new its different hogwash same bullshjit just a different smell so im with the bozos i am a bozo i am a wanker ok bt got my visa its all you need life is good
mushroom_season

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen Water Buffalo the OP said the person that they were talking about was married. With that comes extra responsibilities. Its generally advisable to adopt a lower risk strategy for residing in Vietnam when you are married than when you are just another Water Buffalo. When you are married to a local generally you are trying to build up a portfolio for yourself. It would be a shame to lose all of that overnight. If you are a Water Buffalo who cares. You can just piss off to Cambodia whenever you like for God knows what and for God knows how long and even if you cant come back it doesn't matter. That's not the case when you are married. You may end up having some serious assets here that you care about. Deportation would harm those assets. I could tell you about cases that I know of people being deported but you wouldn't care as you would dismiss them as being anecdotal such are all cases would be.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother with Mr Ieltsteacher. He's obviously one of the many deadbeats you see around town which end up going missing a few months down the road. Nobody seems to know where, and nobody seems to care. When he gets burned out from the cheap beer, cheap women, and cheap drugs he'll move on. Seems like the Thailand government crackdown is flushing this kind of trash over in greater numbers lately...
ieltsteacher102

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting if you tell the facts all you need is a visa not a wp to work in vietnam aboutn 95% of english teachers dont have wp then you are a bozo water buffalo deadbeat drug addict wanker trash cant get better than that i am sure some of the readers know the facts so yes its always best to gat a wp but you dont need one and many schools in vietnam dont require them unless they get it for you for example know teachers teaching for rmit in their evening corportae programme no wp just a visa know teachers at acet no wp no problem also teachers at ila some dont have it some do apollo the same thing know ielts teachers including myself at res and ktdc no wp but got visa 30-40 usd an hr so i just got my two year resident card before that had a 3 year card so in conclusion if you dont have a wp you are a bozo deadbeat wanker drug addict drink cheap beer want cheap women trash from bangkok keep it coming but still waiting for the stories of teachers being deported due to no wp as i alreadty said got the visa life is good
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: