Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shenzhen start up costs and contract

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msinglynx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Shenzhen start up costs and contract Reply with quote

Hi guys. I got a job offer in Shenzhen I feel pretty confidant about taking. The contract is some 14 pages long (!!!) but I'd like to post some confusing parts and maybe someone can help me understand it better.

First though, how much money am I going to need as start up costs in Shenzhen?? I have my plane ticket, after paying for shipping my stuff and my cat from Chengdu to Shenzhen (I'm estimating that to cost 2500) I will have 10-12K for expenses. My school will give me an apartment and I have a friend to stay with for a few days as necessary but I am going there August 1 and class starts august 25 so I probably wont get paid until like... Oct. 8th (except maybe 1-2k on Sept. Cool. I also have to go to HK for at least 1-2 weeks while my visa is processed and changed from student to work visa (oh the company said they are allowed to exchange visas IN china/HK for up to a max of only 10 teachers and that everyone else has to get their visas over seas. Is that legit? I know it's getting harder but I didnt realize there was an actual count per company).

So, all that in mind, how much should I expect to spend living in Shenzhen. I imagine I will spend around 1000 to get comfortable (install internet, buy bedding, etc). How much can I anticipate spending on food if I eat out vs. cook? Transportation costs? Is 1k a week a realistic budget until I start getting paid? Thanks

Here is the contract
Remuneration Package 乙方工资待遇
1. Direct Remuneration 直接报酬
The basic monthly salary for Party B (Party B) is RMB 6000 (before taxation, the same
as follows). The lecture remuneration is RMB 3500 , Party B can get all the lecture
remuneration with all shifts. In case the time is shorter than a whole month, the payment shall
be counted by working days. The daily wage shall be 1/30 of the monthly salary (the same with
February). Party B shall submit by law Personal Income Tax and part of social insurance (the
personal account sum can be paid back to Party B when they leave China by means of applying
for withdrawing from the social insurance administration) in compliance with Personal Income
Tax of PR China and Temporary Provision of Social Insurance for the Working Foreigners inside
China Territory. Monetary salary RMB /month; the salary will be paid on the next 20th of each
month from the day of starting work to the expiration of the contract.
乙方受聘甲方工作期间月基本工资为: 6000 元(税前,下同)。乙方的课时工资为
3500 元人民币,当乙方学年全勤时,即可得到全额课时补贴。如果遇到不满一
个月,按照工作天数计算工资,此时每日工资为月工资的 1/30(二月份同)。乙方应按照
《中华人民共和国个人所得税法》和《在中国境内就业的外国人参加社会保险暂行办法》
依法交纳个人所得税和部分社会保险费用(离境时可向社保部门申请将个人账户储存额一
次性支付给乙方),来自避免双重征税协议国家的外籍专业人员除外。合同签订后至合同
期满期间,甲方每月 20 日以人民币形式通过银行系 统向乙方发放上个月工资。
2. Indirect Remuneration 间接报酬
Indirect remuneration relates to such matters as accommodation, flights etc. for Party B while
staying in China;
间接报酬指甲方提供给乙方的在华基本生活条件和待遇,包括:
1) Party A agrees to provide housing conditions (for the full contract period) furnished with bed,
sofa, air-conditioners, wardrobe, washing machine, refrigerator, gas cooker, kitchen ventilator,
shower and toilet. Party B shall pay for the water, electricity, gas, internet, the cable TV and
property management fee under the guidance of Party A on time. Provided that Party B delay4 16 Pages in all
paying for the water, electricity, gas and/or property managemment fee, Party B should pay the
late fees to property management office as required and Party A RMB 200 per day as well to
handle this overdue payment. Party B has the right to ask for free repair and change of the
furniture and house appliance with good reasons within 2 weeks after moving into the
apartment. 2 weeks later, Party B should cover all the cost of maintaining fee of furniture and
house appliances.
合同期内甲方为乙方租赁住房一套,租赁费用由甲方支付,住房条件为:有床、沙发、空
调、衣柜、洗衣机、冰箱、煤气燃气灶、抽油烟机、淋浴和马桶。水电费、宽带上网费、
有线电视费、燃气费、物业管理费则由乙方在甲方的协助下按时自行支付。如乙方逾期缴
纳水电费、燃气费、物业管理费,则需按照物业管理处规定向物业管理处缴纳滞纳金,同
时支付甲方每天 200 人民币的处理费。乙方在入住后 2 周内有正当理由情况下可以申请对
家具、家电进行免费调换、维修,之后自行支付维修费用。
Alternatively Party B can find an apartment themselves independently. Party A shall pay Party B
accommodation allowance of ¥ 3000 RMB per Month. Party B should cover the deposit
fee and the letting agent fee.
如乙方自己找住房,由甲方向乙方提供每月¥ 3000 RMB 元人民币的住房补贴。乙
方自行支付押金及房屋租赁中介费。
5) International air-ticket (the round-trip economy class air-ticket to the closest destination of the
country for Party B, to be arranged and booked by Party B themselves with advice from Party A.)
For those who teach less than one semester or within the probation period, the air-ticket will not
be included; for those who have already finished teaching one semester, Party A shall buy for
him/her a one-way ticket; for those who have already completed two semesters or one
academic year, Party A will provide them with one round-trip air-ticket (or two one-way tickets).
如乙方在甲方工作不足一学期,甲方不为乙方提供国际机票(中国至乙方国最近距离经济
舱机票,下同); 如乙方在甲方工作满一学期,不满一年或一学年,甲方为乙方提供一张
单程国际机票;如乙方在甲方工作满一年或一学年,甲方提供乙方往返国际机票一张或两
张单程机票。
Note: In case the costs of international air-tickets didn’t occur or Party B didn’t need Party A to
provide air-tickets, he/she could choose one of the following options for subsidies from Party A
(Regulations of single and round trip are the same as above):
如果乙方不需要甲方提供国际机票,或者不产生机票费用,乙方可以选择以下方式之一享
受该项福利(单程和双程规定同上):6 16 Pages in all
A) Party B could apply for subsidies at the end of consultant agreement without valid air-tickets,
(for both one-way or round-trip), as one-way single journey ticket can be compensated for in
RMB3,500 (prior to personal income tax), round airfare ticket can be compensated for in
RMB7,000 (Prior to Personal Income Tax).
在聘请结束时,乙方向甲方申请一次性补助(单程或双程),单程机票补助金额为人民币
3,500 元(税前),双程机票补助金额为人民币 7,000 元(税前);
B) After the semester is over, Party B could apply for reimbursement withh valid air-tickets, the
one-way ticket reimbursement is limited in RMB5000 (prior to personal income tax), round ticket
reimbursement is limited in RMB10,000 (Prior to Personal Income Tax).
学期(或学年)结束,乙方持有效机票报销,报销金额限额为单程人民币 5000 元(税
前),双程人民币 10000(税前);
6) Party B is entitled to the following paid holidays and festivals in China:
New Year's Day(1day); Women’s Day(half day); Tomb-Sweeping Day(1day); Labor’s Day(1day);
Dragon Boat’s Day(1day); Mid-autumn Day (1 day); National Holiday (3 days) and Spring
Festival(winter vacation).
受聘方在中国享有以下假期和假日:
元旦 1 天, 妇女节半天, 清明节 1 天, 劳动节 1 天, 端午节 1 天,中秋节 1 天,国庆节 3
天和春节假期(寒假)。
According to the Chinese regulations and the notice issued by the educational bureau, the
additional holiday provided for Party B is Christmas day (1 day off). Any addition or change will be
updated according to the regulation provided by the Chinese government. In the case Party B
wishes to ask for a leave during a holiday related to their personal culture, Party B must notify
Party A 10 working days in advance. Party A will do their best to grant these holidays and
maintain no salary change, while the accredited school has the right to approve it or not. 根据中国相关规定及教育局的通知,乙方同样享受 1 天带薪圣诞节。如有其它调整,以中
国政府下发的通知为准。如乙方需在自己本国重要节日时请假,需提前 10 个工作日通知甲
方,甲方应尽力调解此节日请假申请并不扣发期间薪水,协调结果以派驻学校通知为准。
Party B is entitled to enjoy winter vacation as annual leave with salary. During the annual leave,
the basic salary and lecture hour wages are fully paid as per each contract. The winter vacation
should follow Teaching Schedule issued by Shenzhen Education Board. The payment of the winter
holiday should be paid within 2 months after Party B returns to work in the accredited school.
乙方可享受一个寒假作为带薪年休假。年休假期间,基本工资和课时工资照发。寒假时间
以深圳市教育局下发的教学日历为准。寒假薪水需在乙方返回派驻学校工作两个月内支付
完毕。
Party A will not offer Party B any payment including basic salary, lecture remuneration and
accommodation allowance during Summer Vacation (From July 20th to August 25th). ProvidedParty B is a returning teacher from last year’s contract, Party B can have the accommodation
allowance during the summer holiday.
在暑假期间(7 月 20 日至 8 月 25 日),甲方不予支付乙方包括基本工资、课时费、房屋补
贴等在内的一切费用。如乙方为再次与甲方续签合同者,则可享受暑假期间房屋补贴的发
放。
7) Party A shall organize an annual fun sight-seeing tour in locations in China, by which it covers all
relevant expenses.
甲方定期组织乙方开展教研活动,一年组织一次观光旅游。
Cool Party A agrees to cover the cost for Working Permits, Invitation Letter, Foreign Expert Certificate
and Residence Permits required and needed to work in in China. But the process of working visa
in Party B’s home country needs to be covered by Party B himself/herself.
6. The job for Party B is full time employment, in which the teaching hours shall be no more than
18 lectures per week (5 working days per week and 40-60 minutes per lecture; less than 30
minutes will be considered as 0.5 lecture), with approximately 40-60 students in each class. The9 16 Pages in all
working hours usually start from 8:00am to 12:00 midday (2 hour lunch break) and then from
14:00 to 17:30, from Monday to Friday.
乙方在派驻学校为全职工作,任教期限内每周教授不超过 16 课时(每周以五个工作日计,
每课时不超过 40-60 分钟,少于 30 分钟的课程按照 0.5 个课时计算),班级授课学生一般
为 40-60 人左右。上班时间一般为周一至周五上午 8:00-12:00;下午 2:00-5:30。
Party B shall assist with any activities organized by accredited school during working hours (e.g.,
individual tutoring, organizing trainees for events, participating in academic events, English
corner, drama festival and other activities such as team building and cultural exchange, etc.).
Subject teacher shall complete other relative courses. According to the working time of
accredited school, Party B shall have office time and work with its’ school schedule. Party B shall
obey his/her school’s arrangement if necessary (for instance, National Public Holiday or school
activities). 乙方在法定工作时间内接受学校安排的其他任务,如教研活动、集体活动、团队建设、文
化交流以及英语角、英语话剧等英语活动等。按校方作息时间实行坐班制度,严守校规校
纪,按时上、下班。如遇节假日或其它活动而进行的全校性调课,服从校方统一安排。
Party B shall assist with training activities or marketing promotion organized or agreed by Party
A 5 times a year for free. 乙方需每年义务协助甲方进行培训活动及市场推广,参加甲方举行或同意的活动 5 次。
For insufficient lecture hours per week caused by Party A, Party B should not take on further
responsibilities, and still be honored with basic salary; provided that insufficient lecture hours
per week were attributed to Party B, he/she must make up the lecture hours. Otherwise, the
related amount of shortened lecture hours should be deducted (the benchmark is RMB 100 per
lecture).
因甲方原因导致乙方每周工作时间、授课时数不足,乙方不承担责任,工资照发;如因乙
方原因直接造成乙方每周授课时数不足,乙方有义务补足课时数,否则扣发差额课时工资
(标准为 100 元/学时)。
7. Party B shall submit teaching materials for the following week (e.g. classroom handouts, lesson
plans, PPT, flash, video and other relevant course material) to accredited school and Party A by
12:00am every Wednesday for reference to ensure teaching quality.
乙方应在每周三中午 12 点前向甲方及校方提交下周的教学计划,PPT,影音等教学相关材
料进行审核,并认真完成审核方案中的各项内容,保证教学质量。
8. Party A and accredited school shall have free access to view all materials if required. Party A and
the school shall be allowed to take pictures or videos when Party B is teaching, and shall be
allowed to use them publicly in the following way: website, brochures, promotional purpose
when necessary if this is ever required
Non-lecture Tasks. Within appointed 40 hours each week, working overtime can be resolved by
means of flexi time, such as leaving earlier or starting late or converting it to leave through
discussion; if working overtime exceeding appointed 40 hours per week, Party A should ask Party
B for approval, and pay off Party B compensation for overtime in RMB 100 per hour;
非授课任务。工作时间在每周工作四十个小时所约定时间内,双方可协商提前下班或延迟
上班或补休等方式解决;如工作时间超出每周工作四十个小时所约定时间外,需事先征得
乙方同意,甲方按 100 元 /小时支付加班费。
2. Lecture Tasks. Provided that lecture hours exceed 18 lectures per week as appointed, whereof,
Party A should ask Party B for approval and pay off Party B compensation for exceeded lecture
hours in RMB 200 per lecture hour under the agreement of both parties.
授课任务。授课时数超过每周 18 学时的约定范围外,需事先征得乙方同意,甲方在双方协
商一致下按照 200 元/学时标准支付乙方课时费。
3. Party B shall not accept any other part time job or work payment irrelevant to Party A without
official approval from Party A. Otherwise, all the issues cause by violating this regulation should
be burdened by Party B himself/herself. In this case Party A is entitled to release the consultant
agreement with a written form notice without delay and bearing any compensation for the
agreement release.
未经甲方书面同意,乙方不得兼任与甲方无关的其他工作,也不得接甲方以外的工作报
酬。如违反此规定,导致的一切后果由乙方自行承担,甲方有权即刻解除合同,且不承担
任何经济补偿。
4. Provided that Party B would like to takee a part time job in his\her spare time, Party A should try
its best to satisfy the need, and honor the overtime or extra service fee (see 1rst and 2nd
appointment of Item VII); if Party A cannot arrange the part time job for Party B within 30 days, Party B can officially apply for the part time job at the 3rd party (workplace for part time). After
approving, Party A should consent with signature approval and sign an agreement with the 3rd
party, clarifying the rights and obligations among Party A, Party B and the 3rd party (workplace
for part time).
doogsville

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to say that you get a basic salary of 6000, with an additional 3500 if you work all the shifts, i.e. turn up for the full five days a week. The school hours are 8:30 to 5:30, with the usual 2 hour lunch break from 12 to 2. They're talking about a 40 hour week, and notice that they give a long list of 'activities' you might be required to do when your not in the classroom, including individual tutoring!!! That's a huge red flag for me. They could have you working 18 classes a week, and then spending the rest of the time tutoring the principals kids, or anyone's kids, for that matter, for up to 22 hours a week.

They're also talking about deducting the social insurance from your salary, though of course, they say you can apply to get it back once you finish working. Good luck with that.

They want you to do 'promotions' five times a year. For free. Those things can be a living hell, keep smiling, keep smiling. And I notice it says five times year, not five days. What happens if one or more of them is a week long?

The housing is dodgy sounding to me too. If anything breaks or needs fixing in the first two weeks, they'll pay, but after that you pay. If you're late in paying any of your housing bills, even though they say they will assist you to do that, they will charge you 200 RMB a day. No way would I put up with that one. If you do sign the contract you really should insist that they pay for any and all apartment problems, and that they forget about the fine, for that is what it is, if you forget to pay a utility bill. I fail to see how they can justify you paying them money for not paying the water company, internet company, electric company or the building management company on time. That makes no sense at all.

The air fare stuff seems pretty standard. You give them a copy of your ticket, they give you the money back. Only applies if you finish out the one year of the contract.

Not sure what to make of the bit about part time jobs. Seems to suggest they will find a part time job for you. On the other hand, will you have the desire, the time, or even the energy, for a part time job after putting in a 40 hour week in a public school?

I have to say that I would not do five days a week, forty hours, plus the added promotions and the dodgy housing for that money in Shenzhen. I'm sure there are better offers out there. That being said, it might not be too bad a gig for your first year and a foot in the door in China. If you can get through that, there are plenty of opportunities in Shenzhen and the surrounding area. As I said before, I would put your foot down about the housing before signing. If it's a deal breaker for them then look for another job. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Guerciotti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Doogs said, and more.

Looks like your first pay day is the 20th, hopefully in September, but that would pay you for August and ... someone please tell me this is wrong:
For partial months worked they pay per day worked divided by 30 days. The contract says one day = 1/30 of your pay. So to me it seems if you work a partial month, for example, work two weeks of a full month or 10/20 working days, you receive 10/30ths of your paycheck. I say heck no if that's true.

If my interpretation of the 1/30 for partial months is true, and I sincerely hope I'm blundering here, your August pay, received on September 20, would be 5 days = 5/30 * 9500 or 1594 rmb. Damn. Unless they scheduled you for less that 18 lecture hours, which brings me to:

Also, on page 9 #7, after the free training activities, it seems they deduct 100 rmb per hour if you have less than 18 hours of lectures. Thus if they schedule you for 16 lectures per week, you lose 200 rmb per week or 800 per month. Later it says you may find outside work with their approval to make up your lost pay, but this sounds like a can of worms. Or snakes. Or scorpions. Whichever sounds more frightening at the moment. Their 'approval' may hinge on how much THEY get paid by your outside job.

In general some important parts of this contract are scattered throughout the text ... like they don't want you to see it. Why would they do that, I wonder? It's a mystery!

I did not read this contract just skimmed a bit.

Personally not crazy about this deal. Bet you can do better in Shenzhen, or find a 10k per month job with less mousetraps and quicksand so they actually pay you 10k. Oh yea you pay your taxes on salary is another red flag, but not a deal killer. But this deal is meh or worse.

G

Cool
jimpellow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have to agree with the two posters abpve that you can do better so no need to add to that. That is bottom of the barrel money for the hours involved and the high cost of living in Shenzhen, etc.

It is not legit about the ten visas allowed in Hong Kong.

Biggest thing I would add, if you do not already know, is do not tell the school you are short money at the start. This rarely works well for the teacher. Many schools will sense you are desperate and stomp all over you once they perceive you need them more than they need you.
Songbird

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm confused about working hours- they expect you to be in FULL TIME for 6000RMB? Get real....even for 18 hours, no way in Shenzhen!

BTW, startup costs- you get a 12 nth contract for internet with China Telecom for 1800, so you'll be needing at least 3000 in startup money....
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weasel words and obfuscation of actual terms in paragraph 1 turns me off.

Unclear meaning regarding housing is a turnoff.

I prefer clear, concise contracts that don't require parsing sentence-by-sentence.

In a word: DON'T
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is paying for your 10 days in HK? Seems like that could cost you 6000 RMB, and that would be eating a lot of noodles.
Zang_Lajiao

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very similar to a contract from Guangzhou Worlda that got posted on here before.

That company has a very bad reputation and have been said to be opening an office in Shenzhen.

If it is them, DON'T.
drjtrekker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP,

another simple one....

It sucks.
or, as others have said.......DONT! Smile
The Voice Of Reason

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by The Voice Of Reason on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:18 am; edited 1 time in total
roadwalker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I don't like this contract just for the housing. How much is the management fee? Why should the teacher pay it? How much is the cable television fee and is it mandatory? I'm ok with the teacher paying for utilities such as gas, electricity and water if it's an otherwise good contract, since that would discourage waste. But television and basic Internet service and certainly management fees should be built in. (Better Internet could rightly be paid by the teacher.) And I also don't like the idea of a two week window for "free repairs" of furniture and appliances. Teachers should be responsible for damage beyond normal wear and tear, but I've had furniture break from wear and tear (and rust) late into the term/school year. This is even more true with appliances. I'd pass on this school/outfit.
msinglynx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all! I'm not new to China but I've been working only part times in Chengdu, way less money and hassle. My understanding from talking to a teacher at the company is that actual weekly hours vary by the school and depending how the school arranges it so it might be as little as 11 hours of tightly arranged classes or 40 hours, mostly filled with "lesson planning in the office" hours (heavy implication that it's mostly for some people with a habit of showing up unprepared/drunk and they did not make promises or specific offers regarding time except that it would be 18 teaching hours). that is something I should ask for specific details about.
About housing they said I can stay at their housing for a week upon my arrival in SZ while I find my own place, if that's what I want. In Chengdu I've been paying all my own shit so even just that is way more than I expected but my friends who have school paid housing here have also had to pay for their utilities and etc fees.
Also, this contract is not complete, I cut & pasted the parts that interest me. There were 14 pages... Also, this isn't a school, it's a placement agency so a lot of specific things depend on the school. All I'm expecting from the agency is to pay me on time and properly.

Basically I'm looking for a job that can get me a legit visa. I'm tired of "studying" Chinese & then not learning because I have to earn the 12k+ to pay for it each term, AND my housing AND other assorted living expenses. I am specifically looking for a day time public school job cuz I find if you do your job and keep your head down, no one bothers you. I want to work day time so I can have afternoon and evenings to teach spanish/english private 1-1's and the weekends off. I have no problem hanging out with kids all day or helping them. I've been doing that for free any way so having it part of my job discription is not a huge problem from me. Also they are specifically looking to put me in a kindergarten. Kinder classes are usually only like 20 minutes long. I'm not the typical foreigner, I dont resent kids and I'm not here to bag all the money I can & GTFO so I usually do not have problems in my relationships with local chinese people.
So if you guys have a better option, thats cool but I dont want to be slaving at a training or international school either. I'm moving to shenzhen for some me & beach time.
msinglynx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and I have places to stay in both shenzhen & hong kong (friends man, they really come through) so I wont be paying for hotels, just snacks and entertainment. May also go camping in HK depending how long it takes to process that visa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: