Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to bail out of Tajikistan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clifton10

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: Trying to bail out of Tajikistan Reply with quote

Hello,

I am an American teacher here in Tajikistan. I've been here since December, but found out quickly that this isn't the place for me. Well, for one thing the pay is VERY POOR (only 300USD a month) and the city I'm in is expensive in terms of food costs and trying to get out of here for holiday. Second, the accommodations aren't great - you'll freeze in the winter and sweat in the summer as there is no heat or air-con. In other words, I am getting burned out with this country.

I had an interview last week with a school in Moscow and am hoping to hear back from Turkey. Now the question is: What should I tell the interviewer when asked why I want to cut short my stay? My contract here last until December, but of course I can't stay here as I'm not able to save any money here. Any suggestions are welcomed.

And a word to the wise...if one wants to work in Central Asia, I would skip Tajikistan and go elsewhere. Ceers
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like: "This position is an excellent match for my skills and experience. I am not able to fully utilize them in my present job." And then go on to talk about how your experience would benefit their students' learning. Keep it professional---don't mention anything negative about your current employer nor your dissatisfaction with your living conditions.
clifton10

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Trying to bail out of Tajikistan Reply with quote

Thank you. Hopefully that will work in my next interview.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I would tell them that I simply just can't survive on what I'm being paid. Don't knock the employer, just tell it as it is.
Big Worm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, just be honest. Employers should totally understand that you have unacceptable living conditions and are basically working for free.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Worm wrote:
Yeah, just be honest. Employers should totally understand that you have unacceptable living conditions and are basically working for free.

Not too sure about this. I have interviewed a lot of teachers and if I was told this then I would ask why they accepted the job in the first place and why I should believe they will complete the contract if offered a job by me.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would tell them that I simply just can't survive on what I'm being paid.

I wouldn't get into this as presumably you knew what the pay would be before signing the contract. Agree with nomadsoul that it's better to focus on other aspects.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:
I would tell them that I simply just can't survive on what I'm being paid.

I wouldn't get into this as presumably you knew what the pay would be before signing the contract. Agree with nomadsoul that it's better to focus on other aspects.

So do I.
Janiny

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clifton: If you were accepted for a position there, Saudi Arabia at least is sure to pay your air fare in (and out after your contract). I won't get into the disadvantages of life in the Magic Kingdom, there's plenty enough of that on this forum you can look at. However, the money is top shelf, and they are sure to provide air conditioning. Um, indoor heating is a moot point.
clifton10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Trying to bail out of Tajikistan Reply with quote

Nope, with the interviews I had, I did not mention pay, just other aspects. The school told me that Tajikistan was a cheap place to live-which it isn't as I now know. And another teacher is having the same issues about pay and living conditions(he arrived here only two weeks ago) and has asked the director to get him an air-con. As for for Saudi? The pay does sound great and I've applied to a couple of places with not much luck (my degree is not in English). I also like my freedom, but there is the saying: Money talks and sod walks Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: