Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Future of TEFL in Saudi Arabia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
siologen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: re: but there are jobs like that.... Reply with quote

Lcrew,

Respectfully,there are jobs like that in the KSA even with a BA in pretty much anything.I know because I was offered one, but could not accept due to family and other problems at the time. Also, I think you will get taxed on the amount you are being paid,but not sure.

VS, you are right, it should stay on topic about the KSA, my fault.

regards,
s
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the subject of KSA...

King Abdulaziz University has an MA TESOL program taught by nationals who received their degrees from the West. Plus, Saudis can pursue a TESOL-related MA or doctorate at several universities in the neighboring UAE. This further reduces the need for western teachers in KSA foundation programs, especially those westerners with unrelated degrees.
Hatcher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will always be a min demand for western men in the KSA as the students want them in class.

Again, I ask, why the KSA? no police or health care.. no law or labor board... Better life in other places
siologen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: re: just for the sake of discussion...? Reply with quote

Quote:
Again, I ask, why the KSA? no police or health care.. no law or labor board... Better life in other places

In the spirit of friendly discussion, where would these places be?

The far east? My take is that salaries have been lowered or remained static there for donkeys years. Living as an english teacher on a monthly salary of baht each month, compared with retired or semi retired people enjoying their days in the tropical climate on the beach or in a bar, would soon become a grind I could imagine. China is on the nose, as they are going after foreigners with a vengeance, visas getting harder to get year after year, and salaries static, inflation and higher rental prices are also an issue, increasingly hostile locals.

For a single male FT with only an unrelated degree and no teaching qualifications from his home country, the KSA remains one of the best, if not the best, paying destination as of right now. I know (just in my case though!!!!!) for an absolute fact that the far east cannot match the kingdom in terms of renumeration. But as always, each to their own. Awright?!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of the future of TEFL in KSA, as long as jobs are available to expats, some foreigners will make the decision to head to the kingdom while others do not.

Last edited by nomad soul on Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes a lot more than having a "liberal arts" degree to teach in an IB school. Laughing
siologen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: re: artsy degrees... Reply with quote

Who mentioned a liberal arts degree in this thread? Not me mate!!!
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone is drifting away from the topic !
Hemlock32

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, on that note I want to put in my two cents since the other discussion about salaries in the kingdom has been locked...

What is really considered low? My friend got an offer at KFUPM and it was 65k USD with everything included. That does not sound bad or terrible, or unbelievable by any means low. 65k USD, tax-free and everything paid for is a lot! I don´t know if some of you teachers have been living in an ivory tower or what but I wouldn´t pass that up!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemlock32 wrote:
What is really considered low? My friend got an offer at KFUPM and it was 65k USD with everything included. That does not sound bad or terrible.

Salaries are highly subjective; there's no one-size-fits-all number that satisfies everyone. People have different personal financial goals, spending habits, and financial obligations. So if your friend feels that salary is fine for his situation, then it's not low for him.

Basically, pay level depends on 1) how solid the person's qualifications are relevant to everything on the employer's wish list; 2) what the position entails; and 3) who the employer is (e.g., direct hire vs for-profit contracting company).
Lord T

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemlock32 wrote:
Well, on that note I want to put in my two cents since the other discussion about salaries in the kingdom has been locked...

What is really considered low? My friend got an offer at KFUPM and it was 65k USD with everything included. That does not sound bad or terrible, or unbelievable by any means low. 65k USD, tax-free and everything paid for is a lot! I don´t know if some of you teachers have been living in an ivory tower or what but I wouldn´t pass that up!

Hemlock32 - That's a reasonable offer. I think it would be for working in the English Dept. rather than the PYP.

They are currently advertising on Dave's for teachers to work in the English Dept. It looks like they are using a recruiting company. The salary is not stated in numbers, it just says 'very competitive'.

So if you apply for the job, you now know the going rate. Don't let the recruiter rip you off!
hash

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemlock32 wrote:

My friend got an offer at KFUPM and it was 65k USD with everything included.
Pure fantasy. Especially these days, no one teaching English at KFUPM gets those wages to start with......maybe after 10 years of continuous service on site....but to start with?? No way. (This is straight from my on-site sources at KFUPM...both PYP and ELD). You'd have to be hired at the professorial level to get that....and there are no "professors" of ESL at KFUPM.
Unless Hemlock32 has actually SEEN a hard copy of the contract, he should be more wary and vigilant of what he "hears" as gospel truth, even from "friends"
========================

Lord T wrote:

They are currently advertising on Dave's for teachers to work in the English Dept. It looks like they are using a recruiting company....Don't let the recruiter rip you off

The "recruiting company" gives no contact information AT ALL.....none...not even an email address......not even a peep. It also directs applicants to the KFUPM general employment website and a specific entry to apply for the job. This is extraordinarily unusual. No "recruiter" I ever heard of directs applicants to bypass the recruiters registration procedures and go directly to the employer's website...........I'll let you draw your own conclusions on this one.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this thread is about the future of TEFL in KSA, how about you guys start separate discussion threads about salaries and KFUPM?
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Since this thread is about the future of TEFL in KSA, how about you guys start separate discussion threads about salaries and KFUPM?

Very good idea. If not, there will be sanctions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: