Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
what to do?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Advice please Reply with quote

Hi y'all!

I'm new on here but have been visiting for years but need help maybe. I'm American, based in UK with British wife and kids and have worked out of USA for 20 plus years. Last year I worked in Ibri but quit as I just can't imagine fetching the family out there. Now I've got a job offer in Muscat, bit less money but better t&c in general. My only concern is that last year the employer, an agent, sent me the visa before I came but this employer, a private college, is saying to come in on tourist visas and they will convert them later. I know this isn't allowed in Saudi but is it ok in Oman?
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tourist entry visa route used to be the norm but as far as I'm aware it was changed last year. Mind you it could have been changed back again....
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I last came in on a tourist visa. The private college employer had offered to get me the usual entry visa for employees, but when I told them I already had the visa, they said no problem, they could change it over. Like MGary said, the law supposedly changed, and you might want to query them about the change in the law. Perhaps they haven't brought anyone in since the law changed so they aren't aware of it... or like so many things in this part of the world, enforcement of the law may depend on who you are and who you know in the ministry.

VS
madrileno

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just last year I switched employers in Oman. When the time came to change my visa, my new employer said there was no need to do a visa run to the UAE. I literally went in to the ROP office in my city, they canceled the visa, and issued a new one all in the same visit.

You could ask your employer if they're positive this route is still permissible. If they insist its fine, I would trust them. The worst thing that could happen this late in the game is your employer's mistaken, so they'll fly you to Dubai or Abu Dhabi for a quick visa run and get a new one when you fly back to Muscat.

*edited for spelling
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Advice please Reply with quote

what to do? wrote:
Hi y'all!

Last year I worked in Ibri but quit as I just can't imagine fetching the family out there. Now I've got a job offer in Muscat, bit less money but better t&c in general. My only concern is that last year the employer, an agent, sent me the visa before I came but this employer, a private college, is saying to come in on tourist visas and they will convert them later. I know this isn't allowed in Saudi but is it ok in Oman?

Did you get an NOC from the employer in Ibri? You may need one.
what to do?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help so far. I contacted them and madrileno is right, they say that after two months they will fly me into Dubai and then straight back. Muscatgary I haven't got an NOC from Ibri, didn't leave on good terms to put it mildly...

They're offering 1300 OMR including accommodation allowance. Is this enough to live on in Muscat?
CANDLES

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if you were single, but as a family man it'll be tight! Ask for more!

As a single person I was paid OMR1000 outright: (package was about OMR1250). I paid for the utility bills: gas, electricity which was around 20-30 every month or even less, depending on the season.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what to do? wrote:
Thanks for the help so far. I contacted them and madrileno is right, they say that after two months they will fly me into Dubai and then straight back. Muscatgary I haven't got an NOC from Ibri, didn't leave on good terms to put it mildly...

They're offering 1300 OMR including accommodation allowance. Is this enough to live on in Muscat?

Not unless they're also offering cash for school fees.....unless you don't want/need your kids to be educated.
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should research school fees - they will take a massive chunk out of your salary and then look at accommodation costs.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleepwalker wrote:
I think you should research school fees - they will take a massive chunk out of your salary and then look at accommodation costs.

I lived in Muscat, you can get a one-bedroom flat for 300 OMR in a decent area, a 2-bed if you're bringing wife and kids will be closer to 400 OMR. Bills are minimal for utilities. You may have to put up several months deposit...
balqis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet highly unlikely, verging on impossible, that any Muscat college will pay you more [ save the military, as they say].
And mind you, but u will be surrounded by Asians there, your colleagues from India, Pakistan or the Philippines, doing exactly the same job - well, perhaps not with the same charm - for half of your pay-to-be, so you will have to keep the pay amount for yourself, if only out of shame, not to be discussed publicly with your colleagues.

Muscat is notorious for this Asian-only/mostly educational mileau.
Asking for more, tangibly more, I would say a risky move.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both employers that I worked for in Oman paid all of their teachers based on their credentials, not the passport. YMMV...

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Both employers that I worked for in Oman paid all of their teachers based on their credentials, not the passport. YMMV...

VS

Same where I worked but they're now (and for the past year) reducing the salaries (and other benefits) for all new entrants and thereby only attracting Filipinas, Sudanese etc for whom it's still worthwhile. The Ministry direct hire jobs are different but the recruiters and the private direct hire are cutting corners at the expense of the teachers.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
... the recruiters and the private direct hire are cutting corners at the expense of the teachers.

The more things change, the more they remain the same. This has long been the situation at most Oman jobs... just a reality of the economics. Low pay has meant that native speakers have gradually become the minority in EFL. The recruiters first tried to cut the corners by hiring native speakers with limited or no credentials. Then the Ministries put their foot down and insisted on verified education and experience. If salaries are going down again, it will mean that most native speakers won't be interested.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: