Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HCT hiring process. Skype interview and now what??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmvkjmvk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: HCT hiring process. Skype interview and now what?? Reply with quote

Hi there. I sent in an app with HCT a few months back and they finally notified me directly in an email requesting an interview. We had a Skype interview and then ...POOF! Nothing for 3 weeks.

Is this normal? Does anyone know what happens during the hiring process at HCT?

Thanks
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: HCT hiring process. Skype interview and now what?? Reply with quote

jmvkjmvk wrote:
Hi there. I sent in an app with HCT a few months back and they finally notified me directly in an email requesting an interview. We had a Skype interview and then ...POOF! Nothing for 3 weeks.

Is this normal? Does anyone know what happens during the hiring process at HCT?

Thanks

Here's a hint: Practice bending over...waaaaayyyy over!
jmvkjmvk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF???
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmvkjmvk wrote:
WTF???

As in "you have to bend over backwards" to please them.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: HCT Hiring Process Reply with quote

Ramadan begins this weekend so that explains in major part a lack of a response. Also, as the academic year ends, many of the ex-pat HR management have been dismissed, replaced by locals (who observe Ramadan). As others may have posted, one must exercise infinite patience. Also, with respect to recruiting math instructors, they have implemented a software program, ALEKS, which has basically replaced math instruction so it could be this reason, not any flaw in your credentials, that explains the lack of follow-up to your initial app. It is what it is. This is a culture operating on polychronic time (things will get done when they get done, not when you expect them to, unlike Westerners' monochronic concept of time in which time is of the essence, time is money and be prompt and on time). Ramadan lasts until approx. July 27 followed by Eid Al Adha so final candidate reviews will take more time than one anticipates. Welcome to the assembly line mentality of HCT. (Please know you're on your own in finding a flat where streets are not marked as you may be accustomed to, and the allowance is significantly lower than it was in the golden days 2-4 years ago as well as much lower salaries and restricted end-of-contract bonuses). Not the yellow brick road. Good luck.

Last edited by peripatetic_soul on Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
jmvkjmvk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does an interview usually lead to an offer? I feel I did an ok job.
jmvkjmvk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: HCT Hiring Process Reply with quote

peripatetic_soul wrote:
Ramadan begins this weekend so that explains in major part a lack of a response. Also, as the academic year ends, many of the ex-pat HR management have been dismissed, replaced by locals (who observe Ramadan). As others may have posted, one must exercise infinite patience. Also, with respect to recruiting math instructors, they have implemented a software program, ALEKS, which has basically replaced math instruction so it could be this reason, not any flaw in your credentials, that explains the lack of follow-up to your initial app. It is what it is. This is a culture operating on polychronic time (things will get done when they get done, not when you expect them to, unlike Westerners' monochronic concept of time in which time is of the essence, time is money and be prompt and on time). Ramadan does not end until the end of July so final candidate reviews will take more time than one anticipates. Welcome to the assembly line of HCT. (Please know you're on your own in finding a flat and the allowance is significantly lower than it was in the golden days 2-4 years ago as well as salaries and end-of-contract bonuses). Not the yellow brick road. Good luck.

Is there a blanket salary where all newbies start or is it negotiable?

IAT is also looking like a possibility through Footprints. I wonder which is a better gig?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"HCT recruitment process"
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=68239

"HCT--Getting Hired"
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=101870
D. Merit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: HCT Hiring Process Reply with quote

jmvkjmvk wrote:
IAT is also looking like a possibility through Footprints. I wonder which is a better gig?

Financially at least, HCT remains a better choice. Though as HCT spirals downwards that may still change.

To put it with a positive spin, you shouldn't feel too down if neither materialises.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmvkjmvk wrote:
Does an interview usually lead to an offer? I feel I did an ok job.

Short answer... no.

But, prompt answers are not a part of this culture. There is a lot of 'hurry up and wait' - often for month if something like Ramadhan intervenes.

Keep interviewing as things are unpredictable in the best of times, and it is certainly not the best of times at HCT right now.

Quote:
Is there a blanket salary where all newbies start or is it negotiable?

Again no. Starting salary depends on your credentials (final degree plus confirm-able related experience that you provide letters of employment from...). Not sure if anyone here would know what the salaries are for a math teacher.

Unless you have something special to offer, negotiation isn't likely.

VS
robinbanks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As people swan off to cooler climes early to avoid the holiday rush-some never to return- I am reliably informed from Central Services-from the one person I would ever trust there-that a lot of interviews will be 'on ice'until August.This could be because a lot of locals are now doing the HR stuff that people from the sub continent did as has been mentioned elsewhere.
D. Merit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinbanks wrote:
This could be because a lot of locals are now doing the HR stuff that people from the sub continent did as has been mentioned elsewhere.

I think reading that sentence just made me shudder, but I won't know for sure for a couple of months. Very Happy

Dear oh dear.

What's the word for something that takes longer than 'interminable'?
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't care about you. They will contact you when they feel like it. Be ready for the telephone call in a month or so, after Ramadan and Eid, when they will demand that you come tomorrow. This is the way of the ME.
The Fifth Column

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: WOW!!! Reply with quote

Am I the only one or do others find it sadly ironic (for the desperately "hopeful", I mean) that this thread is fighting for top billing with the one named "Firing season @ HCT"?

Seriously, those thinking about jumping onto this train wreck, doesn't that EVEN give you the SLIGHTEST bit of pause???

Or, do YOU think that they will reform for YOUR sake when they see how they've abused YOU, too???
SirAristede

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: WOW!!! Reply with quote

The Fifth Column wrote:
Am I the only one or do others find it sadly ironic (for the desperately "hopeful", I mean) that this thread is fighting for top billing with the one named "Firing season @ HCT"?

Seriously, those thinking about jumping onto this train wreck, doesn't that EVEN give you the SLIGHTEST bit of pause???

Or, do YOU think that they will reform for YOUR sake when they see how they've abused YOU, too???

Some folks just can't ditch that messiah complex, you know... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: