Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

marriage documents

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ieltsteacher102

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: marriage documents Reply with quote

i am tying the knot and am interested in anyone who has gone through the process in 2014 as i understand it you need the following, official copy of us passport medical exam, affidavit of single status-this can be done at us consulate for 50 bucks, anything else also how long did it take without giving tea money

tks
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: marriage documents Reply with quote

ieltsteacher102 wrote:
i am tying the knot and am interested in anyone who has gone through the process in 2014 as i understand it you need the following, official copy of us passport medical exam, affidavit of single status-this can be done at us consulate for 50 bucks, anything else also how long did it take without giving tea money

tks

http://hochiminh.usconsulate.gov/marriage_information.html

MARRIAGE IN VIETNAM

In general, marriages legally performed and valid abroad are also legally valid in the United States. Inquiries regarding the validity of a marriage abroad should be directed to the attorney general of the state in the United States where the parties to the marriage will live.

Vietnamese Marriage Requirements:

Applications for marriage between a citizen of a foreign country and a Vietnamese citizen residing in Vietnam should be filed in person at the Justice Department offices in the city/ province where the Vietnamese citizen resides. All documents obtained from the U.S. must be accompanied by a certified translation into Vietnamese from either the Vietnamese Consulate/Embassy in the U.S. or the Vietnamese notary public. Although requirements for obtaining marriage certificates may vary from province to province, the general requirements for the U.S. citizen partner are as follow:

1. Marriage registration dossiers (obtained from the Vietnamese Justice Department)

2. Official copy of the U.S. citizen's passport.

3. The written certification granted by a Vietnamese or foreign competent heath organization within six months to the date of the dossiers is submitted, certifying that the applicant does not suffer from mental diseases which render him/her incapable of being aware of and controlling his/her acts.

4. Affidavit of Single Status. The applicant can request this document from the civil registry in the state in which he/she resides or complete this affidavit at the U.S. Consulate. This affidavit must be signed within six months of application for a marriage certificate. The notarization fee at the U.S. Consulate is $50 USD. If the applicant had a previous marriage, present an authenticated copy of the divorce decree or death certificate of the previous spouse(s).

5. Statement in lieu of Certification of Non-Impediment to Marriage. The applicant can request this document at the U.S. Consulate without charged.

6. A letter by the local vital statistics office certifies that no marriage license or marriage certificate of the applicant is found within the state where the applicant is residing in. The search period must be started from the year when the applicant was 18-year-old up to date. In case the applicant was divorced, or the spouse has been deceased, a certified photocopy of a divorce decree or a death certificate must be submitted. (This requirement varies from province to province).

Note:

Time limit for marriage registration in Vietnam is 30 days as from the date when the provincial/municipal Department of Justice receives complete and valid dossiers. In cases which need to be verified by the police offices, the time limit may be prolonged up to 45 days.
After receiving complete dossiers and fees, provincial/municipal Department of Justice shall conduct a face-to-face interview with both parties in order to examine and clarify the voluntariness of their marriages, their capability of communication with one another in a common language and their understanding about each other.
The Department of Justice may handle the marriage registration on a case-by-case basis. For further information in detail, please refer to the Vietnamese Embassy website http://www.vietnamembassy-usa.org or the Justice Department website www.sotuphap.hochiminhcity.gov.vn.
The Vietnamese citizen partner should consult with Vietnamese authorities about that partner's requirements.

Contact agencies:

The provincial/municipal Justice Service (for certification of true copy and translation service).
Office of External Relations, 06 Alexandre de Rhodes, District 1 (for authentication and legalization of document).
The Justice Department of Ho Chi Minh City is located at 141-143 Pasteur Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City.
Mental Health Examination in Ho Chi Minh City:
Mental Health Center, 192 Ben Ham Tu, Ward 1, District 5.
Cho Ray Hospital, 201B Nguyen Chi Thanh, Ward 12, District 5.
Center of Mental Forensic Examination in Ho Chi Minh City, 152-154 Hong Bang, Ward 12, District 5.
ieltsteacher102

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gracias

adios amigo
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ieltsteacher102 wrote:
Gracias

adios amigo

D'nada
mushroom_season

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to slip the Psychiatrist some coffee money. Your wife should know how much to ensure a correct answer.
Riding One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: marriage documents Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:

http://hochiminh.usconsulate.gov/marriage_information.html

MARRIAGE IN VIETNAM

In general, marriages legally performed and valid abroad are also legally valid in the United States.

This is true, but I have a related question.

The American citizen has to file or register the marriage with the US Consulate or Embessy to be recognized by the US government correct?

If the marriage is not registered, then it's not recognized, because it's not known about in the US, correct?

Part of the reason for me asking is, does a legal marriage in the US give a Vietnamese wife any legal rights or powers towards her husband? Using an attorney against him, for an example.

If the couple does not plan to live in or visit the US, then I think it would be better not to register the marriage.
TRH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: marriage documents Reply with quote

Riding One wrote:
If the marriage is not registered, then it's not recognized, because it's not known about in the US, correct?

Part of the reason for me asking is, does a legal marriage in the US give a Vietnamese wife any legal rights or powers towards her husband? Using an attorney against him, for an example.

If the couple does not plan to live in or visit the US, then I think it would be better not to register the marriage.
If one feels so precautionary toward a prospective spouse, then perhaps better reconsider getting married. Also how would not being registered in any way alter the spouses rights in a Vietnamese court?
Riding One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: marriage documents Reply with quote

TRH wrote:
Riding One wrote:

If one feels so precautionary toward a prospective spouse, then perhaps better reconsider getting married. Also how would not being registered in any way alter the spouses rights in a Vietnamese court?

It's about assets.

If one does trust a Vietnamese wife or fiancee, if things go south (and they often do) will she have any legal means to go after assets?

I personally know people who have lost years of life savings and property and assets.
TRH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, in the US you can only file for a divorce in the jurisdiction of your residence. In my case, I had to wait a month to file because I had changed counties. Other states may differ but I think all have some residency requirement. Otherwise people would file in backwater places that would make litigation difficult for the defendant. So if your Vietnamese spouse has never emigrated to the US, she could never file in a US court and she obviously still holds whatever rights she has in Vietnamese court. If she immigrated to the US she must file where she resides. She can't file in a US court while residing in Vietnam, and if she divorces you in the US before two years of residency, she can be deported (unless you were beating her up. Rolling Eyes )

I can sympathize with people who get taken in divorce court but I don't think registering your marriage with the US Embassy or Consulate makes any difference

With respect to the OP's questions on time and tea money: After you have all your papers in order, you will fill out applications and be interviewed jointly at the Dept of Justice. At that time you sign some preliminary paperwork. You must return 30 days later for a final signing ceremony and only then are you legally married. Your marriage commences on the later date. As far as I know, the wait period applies to marriages between VN nationals as well. It's sort of a "cooling off" period and not a bad idea; almost the opposite of a Las Vegas wedding. We were married in the countryside. My wife never gave one VND under the table to anyone, but there was a small fee for the interpreter present at the interview as the head officer spoke no English. The interpreter may also be tasked with insuring that you wife speaks adequate English for a valid marriage, unless you speak Vietnamese. Another thing to keep in mind is that the residency system means that you will have to be married in your wife's hometown even if she has been living in another city for years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: