Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speaking of disrespecting foreigners....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Which brings us back always to the same refrain that is posted here repeatedly. Choose your employers carefully. Avoid recruiters/contractors. The least summer leave I ever had was 60 days per my contract.VS

The MOHE advertise the holiday entitlement as 60 days but then only give you 50 in the first year. Actually the same applies to Hawthorn. In both cases 60 days is stated in the contract but when it comes to it they say it's 5 days per month worked and that the two months when you're on leave don't count in the first year.

For those coming here for the first time, don't get giddy thinking sixty days leave means 12 weeks. Weekends are included in the calculation so it's actually just 8.57 weeks. You should also be aware that often just the basic salary is paid during leave not the normal salary with all the additional bits for travel, etc. It's the same with the gratuity at the end of the year, only the basic salary is relevant.

To be fair this is standard practice here, it's just that they don't mention it at interview or at contract signing time....or at induction, not until it's actually holiday time in fact.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, as is shown by the examples, check on the interpretation of your contract. My contracts said X days... and it was X calendar days. (60 or 55 or 58 or whatever) So it was two months.

That said, two of my employers ignored these stated days, and I was able to leave as soon as final grades were in (end of May) and return a couple days before the semester started in September. So I did get more than 12 weeks. (AUCairo and KU)

My employers all gave full salary all 12 months of the year. Gratuity has always been calculated from the base salary (with the exception of a couple employers in the UAE who give it on full salary).

Ask the right questions at that interview... and confirm online with current teachers if you can.

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
That said, two of my employers ignored these stated days, and I was able to leave as soon as final grades were in (end of May) and return a couple days before the semester started in September. So I did get more than 12 weeks. (AUCairo and KU) This was the case with the MOHE and Hawthorn until this year, but no longer, everybody had to wait until the bitter death even though there was nothing to do and even though everybody had worked (unpaid) overtime to turn the grading around quickly.

Ask the right questions at that interview... and confirm online with current teachers if you can. Agree but knowing what to ask is tricky for newbies to the Gulf and just because something is said at interview......
madrileno

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Wait... it's the first of July... what are any of you doing there? Unless I had volunteered to teach summer school, I was long gone by this time of year.

Both locals and expats who can afford it are normally gone by now.

VS

Teachers at the HCTs were at work up until the 3rd this year. Last day of exams was just before Ramadan started on the 29th. Teachers had go in for a week afterwards for moderation and submitting final marks, with our last day being the 3rd.

Everyone is finished now and many teachers are leaving for vacation this coming week.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VeiledSentiment

You keep mentioning conditions that have long gone and insinuating that anybody ending up with conditions less than yours back in the good old days has only his/ herself to blame.

Well, before flying into the country I was promised many things.

Once in the country, jet lagged and thirsty/hungry after an unpleasant few hours hanging around for the paperwork to be done, I was bullied into signing a complete different contract.

It's either signing that or leaving the country without a job.

MuscatGary
I had similar experiences. The recruitment agencies are very cunning.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:
You keep mentioning conditions that have long gone and insinuating that anybody ending up with conditions less than yours back in the good old days has only his/ herself to blame.

Obviously you are not reading closely. The answer is not the time, but the employer. I worked for SQU and a private college. Conditions at both places are pretty much the same now as when I was there.

For the millionth time... check your employer out carefully. Conditions at the majority of the recruiter/contractor based jobs are below par. They always have been since they appeared and there have been dozens and dozens of threads warning people about this one and/or that one.

Since day one they have been jobs that one only takes if one has nothing better. Entry level positions in the Gulf to put on the CV...

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: