Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how does your income rate?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:04 am    Post subject: how does your income rate? Reply with quote

Wondering how your income rates to the residents of your state?
Animal political made a tool that takes Inegi information.
My husband pointed out it doesn't take into account undeclared income. Which everyone not on a payroll probably has some of.

http://www.animalpolitico.com/2015/06/que-tanto-dinero-ganas-este-interactivo-te-lo-dice/
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Pertenezco al 5% de la población con más ingresos en México (Sí. En este rango también se encuentra Slim)."

Good to know! But a better tool would be how you rate against the average according to the level of your job.
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but it's really not about evaluating your job, but actually about class inequality.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
True, but it's really not about evaluating your job, but actually about class inequality.

By ranking middle class as equal to Slim? Plug 8,000 a month into the calculator then see if Slim calls to swap stock tips.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also in the 5% for our household, but there is no way we are upper class, just middle class. It also doesn´t take into consideration the fact that many people own a home already, whether paid for over time, or inherited. In the town I live in many people own a home, and have income in the 8000 to 10,000 range but very much live a middle class lifestyle. And as Guy pointed out, there is still a HUGE divide between a person who earns, say, 25,000 a month, and Carlos SLim. Ridiculous, really, to even say you are in the same category.
MotherF

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really?

The point is not OMG I'm not upper class. The point ought to be as plain as day.

I put in lower and lower salaries until I hit outside of the top 5% for Oaxaca.
The point is 95% of the population makes less than 10,000 a month. To drop to 80% you have to lover it to 8,000 a month.
The point is not the hat well established English teachers are as rich as Slim because that is clearly not true. The point is well established English teachers are richer than 95% of the population.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Really?

The point is not OMG I'm not upper class. The point ought to be as plain as day.

I put in lower and lower salaries until I hit outside of the top 5% for Oaxaca.
The point is 95% of the population makes less than 10,000 a month. To drop to 80% you have to lover it to 8,000 a month.
The point is not the hat well established English teachers are as rich as Slim because that is clearly not true. The point is well established English teachers are richer than 95% of the population.

I think you should listen to your husband first and foremost.

And the data is clearly wrong for DF (which has 25% of the country's population). The whole exercise is political in nature. The points are valid...there is a great gap in wealth here, obvious for all to see. But a an actual income comparison it is not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention the fact that, in a rural area, such as the area I live in, you can live quite well on 8000 a month. Food is very inexpensive, lots of people keep chickens, have fruit trees, nopales/tunas grow all over the place, many people also have a garden, there are no transportation costs to speak of. So while it an interesting exercise, it also doesn´t take into consideration the vastly different cost of living in a large city, or even a mid sized city, and a rural area. Even for the state of Zacatecas, I couldn´t live on what I could here, in say, Zacatecas, which is expensive, compared to the rest of the state, or Fresnillo. And in DF, forget it. Another point is that people with a formal job do at least have benefits, healthcare, INFONOVIT, etc, whereas the huge numbers of people who are self employed don´t have those things inless they know about Seguro Popular and apply for that. But a lot of those people don´t know about it, or are paperless people, so can´t apply, which in actual terms of lifestyle puts them at even more of a disadvantage than someone who has a ¨real¨ job at a similar income level.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: