Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mid-life career change to ESL teacher in Mexico
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jultime



Joined: 25 Jun 2014
Posts: 21
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
I teach at a university with a nursing program in southern Mexico. The students take English as a required subject and at this point, we just give them general English. Generally, our teachers have to have a BA. But I can see where having someone who has been a nurse for a significant amount of time would be advantageous, so your AA might be able to be used as a stand in for a BA.
I don't have the authority to say that that is so, but it is something you (and I ) could look into.


Thank you for that. Private tutoring for nursing students would be right up my alley. I'd like to eventually find some kind of position in which I can integrate my nursing knowledge.

One of my strong suits is reading comprehension and understanding how to effectively take a comprehensive multiple-choice exam. The American National nursing exam for both the RN and PN as well as the Canadian equivalents are very difficult for ESL students to pass. Perhaps I'll find a niche in tutoring for these types of exams.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jultime



Joined: 25 Jun 2014
Posts: 21
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update.

I turned in my resignation notice at work today. My last day of work will be September 26. I gave such a long notice because my position is difficult to fill and I like my manager. The lease on my apartment is up at the end of September so I've given myself ample time to rid myself of just about everything I own.

I will attend a spanish immersion program for 4 - 5 weeks in Quetzeltenango, Guatemala. I've chosen http://www.spanishschoolsollatino.com/en/index.php its $167 a week for everything including one-on-one lessons. This is far less than any spanish language school I reviewed in Mexico. I've also had good experience so far with corresponding with the director. She's from Holland and very helpful.

I will be doing the CELTA at International House in Mexico City starting Nov 17. Attending here just makes sense for job networking. I have to say that the cost of renting a room near the school is ridiculous. I really don't want to spend 30 minutes or more commuting so it looks like I'll be paying at least $450 a month for a room near the school. I'll post when my accommodation is finalized.

I'll be quite busy over then next couple of months downsizing and studying grammar Shocked My grammar guide just arrived from Amazon.

I plan to continue updating this thread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LifterMan



Joined: 26 Nov 2013
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart choice with Quetzaltenango, they have the cheapest Spanish lessons in the world. Mexico charges an insane amount to take classes, avoid them. Oh yeah, since you are taking classes for 4-5 weeks make sure to demand a discount, many schools are going broke and begging for students, all of them will give you a discount.

IH Mexico City is a good place to take the CELTA, but do not go with their accommodation, its very expensive. I have also heard about people talking down the price IH quotes you, seems a little sketchy. Your best bet is to wait until the first day to find a roommate in the class or find a cheap apartment on the bus route. Also, check with hostels in the area to negotiate a private room for a month.

Don't stress too much about learning grammar, you will find that you can learn it on the go, they don't cover much beyond the basics. The course is not hard, it is just time consuming. At the end of the day, pretty much everyone passes unless they don't show up.

Be prepared to leave the country for your visa when you get a job offer, this is annoying. But this is Mexico, so this can be resolved by handing over a good tip. Mexico is a great country, you will love it.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guy Courchesne



Joined: 10 Mar 2003
Posts: 9403
Location: Mexico City

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
IH Mexico City is a good place to take the CELTA, but do not go with their accommodation, its very expensive. I have also heard about people talking down the price IH quotes you, seems a little sketchy. Your best bet is to wait until the first day to find a roommate in the class or find a cheap apartment on the bus route. Also, check with hostels in the area to negotiate a private room for a month.


If you use facebook, try getting into the IH CELTA group page...you might find your roommate/classmate more quickly there and before you arrive.

It's very hard to locate inexpensive housing close to IH. They are smack dab in the middle of some of the most expensive and sought after housing areas of the city, in Condesa. Even the nearby hostels are pricey for private rooms.

A friend of mine has started to offer month-long housing to people coming in for the IH courses but he's charging just about the same rate quoted...$450 usd a month, in roughly the same area.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rose Cohen



Joined: 21 Apr 2010
Posts: 6
Location: Mexico

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LifterMan wrote:



Be prepared to leave the country for your visa when you get a job offer, this is annoying. But this is Mexico, so this can be resolved by handing over a good tip.


Are you implying that a bribe can help you get a residence visa with permission to work without leaving the country?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LifterMan



Joined: 26 Nov 2013
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rose Cohen"]
LifterMan wrote:



Are you implying that a bribe can help you get a residence visa with permission to work without leaving the country?



Yes, that's exactly what im implying. Welcome to Mexico, everybody accepts bribes. Cops, politicians, officials, even teachers. Don't take this the wrong way, Mexico is an amazing country, but this is the reality here. I recommend doing things the proper way, this behavior must not be encouraged.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guy Courchesne



Joined: 10 Mar 2003
Posts: 9403
Location: Mexico City

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="LifterMan"]
Rose Cohen wrote:
LifterMan wrote:



Are you implying that a bribe can help you get a residence visa with permission to work without leaving the country?



Yes, that's exactly what im implying. Welcome to Mexico, everybody accepts bribes. Cops, politicians, officials, even teachers. Don't take this the wrong way, Mexico is an amazing country, but this is the reality here. I recommend doing things the proper way, this behavior must not be encouraged.


Hmm...in 14 years I have never been offered not have extended the offer of a bribe and have always gotten things done. True, corruption and bribery exist and are widespread, but my advice on this forum is that you should NEVER assume a bribe is a possible option to solve a problem. Deportation and/or jail time are the logical outcomes of attempting to break the law.

I find that if you're really in doubt on these questions, hire someone to solve them for you. If they know the system and it includes bribery, then you're insulated. Lawyers the world over are good at this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad



Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Posts: 844

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rose Cohen wrote:
LifterMan wrote:



Be prepared to leave the country for your visa when you get a job offer, this is annoying. But this is Mexico, so this can be resolved by handing over a good tip.


Are you implying that a bribe can help you get a residence visa with permission to work without leaving the country?


Offering a bribe to immigration is NOT a good idea......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadBeagleBad



Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Posts: 844

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="LifterMan"]
Rose Cohen wrote:
LifterMan wrote:



Are you implying that a bribe can help you get a residence visa with permission to work without leaving the country?



Yes, that's exactly what im implying. Welcome to Mexico, everybody accepts bribes. Cops, politicians, officials, even teachers. Don't take this the wrong way, Mexico is an amazing country, but this is the reality here. I recommend doing things the proper way, this behavior must not be encouraged.


Everybody does NOT accept bribes. Some do, some don't just like everywhere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LifterMan



Joined: 26 Nov 2013
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bribing immigration is not a good idea because it is illegal, that's a choice you have to make, but many people do it.

Bribing cops in Mexico is also illegal, but everyone does it, this is nothing new to those who live here. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if the drug lords were bribing the military/government. When it comes to the law, it all depends on the enforcer.....prostitution is illegal but all one has to do is take a walk down to la merced or Sullivan and you will get a quick dose of reality of selective law enforcement.

I don't agree with it, but I am well informed on how things work. You should always follow the law.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jultime



Joined: 25 Jun 2014
Posts: 21
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Quote:
IH Mexico City is a good place to take the CELTA, but do not go with their accommodation, its very expensive. I have also heard about people talking down the price IH quotes you, seems a little sketchy. Your best bet is to wait until the first day to find a roommate in the class or find a cheap apartment on the bus route. Also, check with hostels in the area to negotiate a private room for a month.


If you use facebook, try getting into the IH CELTA group page...you might find your roommate/classmate more quickly there and before you arrive.

It's very hard to locate inexpensive housing close to IH. They are smack dab in the middle of some of the most expensive and sought after housing areas of the city, in Condesa. Even the nearby hostels are pricey for private rooms.

A friend of mine has started to offer month-long housing to people coming in for the IH courses but he's charging just about the same rate quoted...$450 usd a month, in roughly the same area.


Yes I've been reviewing the rental prices in Condesa, they're ridiculous. The rents they're charging are close to what I'm paying where I currently live. Its unfortunate that the only locations in Mexico to take the CELTA are IH Playa Del Carmen or IH Mexico City. And there is no CELTA course offered anywhere in Central America.

So I'm just going to have to suck it up and pay the rent in Condesa while I get through CELTA then find something much more affordable.

Can you PM me your friends contact information?

And no, I don't plan on bribing anyone for anything. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadBeagleBad



Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Posts: 844

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind walking just a bit, you can find a place further south, along the route of the Metrobus and save a LOT of money even with a 30 minute commute. You might meet interesting people on the Metrobus as well. It is fast, safe, cheap, frankly nicer than most public transport in the US. Guy's idea was a good one, try to find someone else who is taking the course and share. Aside from being expensive Condessa is also one of the higher crime areas in Mexico City according to Chilango magazine. I think that is due to the transient nature of the area. Also, if you want to immerse yourself in Spanish, moving a bit further away would also help you accomplish that goal as well as you won't have as affluent/international a crowd. Condess is also, in my opinion, not really very Mexican in feel, it's just a trendy neighborhood in a big city, could be anywhere. Though I actually feel that way about most of Mexico City, haha, now that I live in a small town
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jultime



Joined: 25 Jun 2014
Posts: 21
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
If you don't mind walking just a bit, you can find a place further south, along the route of the Metrobus and save a LOT of money even with a 30 minute commute. You might meet interesting people on the Metrobus as well. It is fast, safe, cheap, frankly nicer than most public transport in the US. Guy's idea was a good one, try to find someone else who is taking the course and share. Aside from being expensive Condessa is also one of the higher crime areas in Mexico City according to Chilango magazine. I think that is due to the transient nature of the area. Also, if you want to immerse yourself in Spanish, moving a bit further away would also help you accomplish that goal as well as you won't have as affluent/international a crowd. Condess is also, in my opinion, not really very Mexican in feel, it's just a trendy neighborhood in a big city, could be anywhere. Though I actually feel that way about most of Mexico City, haha, now that I live in a small town


I like your idea about the MetroBus. Since I've never been to Mexico City can you tell me which area you're referring to and which MetroBus route or street it runs on.

I really have no desire to be in Condesa, I've read quite a bit about it. Its not my style at all. And I don't want to live with hipsters either. A nice mixed Mexican neighborhood with a low crime rate would be ideal. No I don't want Starbucks or Walmart.

I'll be out of Mexico City as soon as I find a job to support myself. I don't even want my own apartment, I'm tired of living alone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadBeagleBad



Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Posts: 844

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jultime wrote:


I like your idea about the MetroBus. Since I've never been to Mexico City can you tell me which area you're referring to and which MetroBus route or street it runs on.

I really have no desire to be in Condesa, I've read quite a bit about it. Its not my style at all. And I don't want to live with hipsters either. A nice mixed Mexican neighborhood with a low crime rate would be ideal. No I don't want Starbucks or Walmart.

I'll be out of Mexico City as soon as I find a job to support myself. I don't even want my own apartment, I'm tired of living alone.


IH is 6 or 7 blocks from the Metrobus line that runs north and south on Insurgentes, so you'd have access to anything along that line. There is also a Metro line in the area, but a bit more walking. If you know enough Spanish to have a basic conversation, or know someone who does, you can look online at sites like Segunda Mano to find a room sharing situation. You might even find someone who will exchange English conversation or lessons for a month or free or reduced rent. If you don't know much Spanish, you could still try looking on Craig's List in Mexico City, or post looking for something along the Metrobus line.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guero1



Joined: 20 Dec 2013
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't work for IH Queretaro once you have finished your course.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC