Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volunteer for Room and Board in Ecuador/Peru OR S.A.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmickel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Volunteer for Room and Board in Ecuador/Peru OR S.A. Reply with quote

Hi there!

I have seen on many blogs out there, and on this website, that it might be hard to secure a job in South America from overseas, and that it is better to show up face-to-face. (especially since I am not TEFL certified). That being said, I would feel better showing up in a city if I knew that I could volunteer for a few weeks in exchange for room and board until I found something, just to ease the stress of looking for an apartment, and to be able to save money.

Does anyone have any organizations they would recommend for volunteering in South America? I am not interested in America-based organizations that charge thousands of dollars to volunteer, but rather I am referring to local organizations that don't have any costs, or minimal costs ($100 or less for the month).

Any advice you have on ways to volunteer--particularly for Ecuador or Peru--would be great, but I am open to other countries as well.

Thanks!
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are open to Mexico, you might want to try here. Tlaquepaque is a suburb of Guadalajara, the second largest city in Mexico, though it is actually pretty good sized in it�s own right, so you�d be able to look for a job in Guadalajara.

http://www.culturlinguagdl.com/espanol/
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When judging the "pay to volunteer" organizations you need to look at what you get for the fee and the over all time period.

I've seen some that charge up to 5000 US dollars but then turn around and provide you with room and board for two full years, in addition to other kinds of support. So for two years you are essentially going to live off 5000 dollars while having the experience of a life time. That works out to about 200 US PER MONTH. That's a pretty great deal for some people on some life tracks. Those organizations get a bad wrap in the TEFL world because if you are going to be in TEFL for a long time, then it's probably not such a good deal. But if you just want to have an indepth experience in South America before going back home and getting into something else, then it is.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
If you are open to Mexico, you might want to try here. Tlaquepaque is a suburb of Guadalajara, the second largest city in Mexico, though it is actually pretty good sized in it�s own right, so you�d be able to look for a job in Guadalajara.

http://www.culturlinguagdl.com/espanol/

Mexico, land of the drug war and narco-terrorism...

Peru and Ecuador are much nicer places anyday of the week Laughing
dragonfruit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Volunteer Abroad for Free Reply with quote

http://www.volunteerlatinamerica.com - great site for volunteer work, particularly if you are on a budget.

They recently launched a blog which will probably provide information on volunteering abroad in due course: http://www.volunteerlatinamerica.com/blog/
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Maximo Nivel Reply with quote

This information is from 2007.. so sorry if it's out of date! But Maximo Nivel in Cusco, Peru has short term volunteer projects.. you pay a fee and get free housing in their group house, free food (although the portions were small so people did eat out (at times) to supplement that) and a volunteer gig set up for you. I don't know the fees--I was a teacher not a volunteer-- but the housing was fine and the food was great. One person had a bad experience with her project, but most people seemed to enjoy it..just keep in mind that doing a volunteer project, job hunting and trying to find housing will keep you busy--and the house is for a large number of 20 somethings, so it might be a party haven and hard to be in if you need rest. Maximo does also have a school that hires teachers constantly--not (as far as I know) because it's so awful teachers don't finish contracts, but just because most teachers are on 6 month contracts-- but you must have a TEFL to work for them. In general-- in Cusco-- not having a TEFL will make it hard to find jobs..and what you find will be the very bottom of the barrel-- and keep in mind the barrel is already in less than great condition in Peru. Work visas are just "not happening"--due to the government not making it easy or affordable to get them-- even considering the low cost of living salaries are low, and difficult split shifts--say 7-11 am and then 4-9 pm week days--are the norm. Also keep in mind that in a city like Cusco--which does have a huge need for ESL teachers but also many many tourists looking for work there-- it might take you more than a few weeks to find a job..especially if you lack a TEFL certificate, and even more so if you wanted a full time job. Also remember that if you want to enjoy the touristy activities of Cusco and try a few great restaurants that part isn't super cheap. None of this is to say STAY AWAY..just be aware things might not work out easily.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes people email me about volunteering positions. You can PM me and I'll pass them on to you when I get them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: