Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Criminal history

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
humbleteacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Criminal history Reply with quote

I want to get out of America and TEFL seems like a good way to do that. I just finished my Spanish for college and I like latino culture, so I was thinking of going to South America. Unforunately, I have a criminal history - a possession of a stolen firearm charge from when I was 17 and a paraphernalia charge from 20. Neither of them were convictions (deferred adjudication.) I'm now 28.

It would be appreciated if anyone could tell me the effect this would have on my chances in general as well as in regards to any particular country.

Thanks in advance.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked into getting them, or at least one, expunged from your record? I don't know how it works as I am not from the USA, but other posters in the past have said they've successfully had things removed from their record. I'd guess it probably varies by state.

Aside from that, in Ecuador there's no criminal record check for entry level language school jobs that offer a cultural exchange visa. But if you eventually want a longer term/resident visa, then you will need a criminal record check for that. For positions working with children (i.e. in elementary or high school) the employer may ask for a check regardless of visa requirements, but those jobs are relatively rare.
mtiz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it should be a problem. As the previous poster said, if you are looking for a long term visa somewhere they may ask for a background check. But usually to get a visa you would have to be sponsored by a school first.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you for Peru you'll have to go to INTERPOL for residency, any type. Like people have said see if you can get it expunged. Sooner or later it'll come back to haunt you.
Gringo Greg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd spend the cash for an FBI check to see what actually is on your criminal background check.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Criminal History Reply with quote

Hello,
I experienced this situation with my son in a somewhat different scenario. He was a minor and it was not a felony charge but had to complete community service to have the record expunged which the judge so ordered. However, every time he subsequently applied for a job and a criminal background check was performed, the record had NOT been expunged. I took the hard copies of the Judge's order to the courthouse and resolved the issue. With respect to your situation, it first depends on the state where the offense was committed. Some states have stricter laws than others, as you know. In most cases, juvenile offenses are automatically expunged at the time one reaches age 19, or 29, depending on the offense and length of time since the court disposition. You can google the circuit court of the county where the offense was committed (a .gov website--"how to view criminal history in X county") by entering your name, birthdate and SSN to view your violation history. Then you may wish to consult an attorney. I agree with other posters that it's best to eradicate such records, if possible. I hope this helps. Regards, PS
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Criminal History Reply with quote

Humbleteacher,

Check your inbox - sent you PM.

PS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: