Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Voracious Demand for English Teachers" in Ecuador

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
groovebliss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:41 am    Post subject: "Voracious Demand for English Teachers" in Ecuador Reply with quote

Hello. Tonight I just started reading Susan Griffith's Teaching English Abroad 2015. In her preface she states, "Countries that continue to demonstrate a voracious demand for English teachers include Korea, China, Vietnam, Taiwan, Indonesia, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Russia, Mexico, Chile, Argentina and Ecuador." I was surprised to see those last three South American countries included on a list with the likes of South Korea and China. I'm looking to go through the CELTA program in Ecuador this summer and was assuming I'd need to look outside of that country afterward for work. This statement, however, gives me hope that I might be able to find work while I'm still there. Does anyone know if the demand for English teachers in Ecuador right now is truly voracious? Thank you.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: "Voracious Demand for English Teachers" in Ecu Reply with quote

groovebliss wrote:
Does anyone know if the demand for English teachers in Ecuador right now is truly voracious?

There are certainly jobs to be had in Ecuador, but not as ubiquitous as nor with salaries on par with China and South Korea. It is, however, infinitely more "voracious" than, say, Argentina. What an odd list!
groovebliss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "Voracious Demand for English Teachers" in Ecu Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
There are certainly jobs to be had in Ecuador, but not as ubiquitous as nor with salaries on par with China and South Korea. It is, however, infinitely more "voracious" than, say, Argentina. What an odd list!

Thank you for that information, esl_prof! While I appreciate my skepticism being validated, my hopes are now dashed that employers will be lined up at my door upon completion of the CELTA. Wink
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it's a very strange list, and 'voracious' is a weird word to use, but there's plenty of work in Ecuador IF you stick to the big cities. I did the CELTA in Ecuador a few years ago, and everyone on my course who stayed in Ecuador had jobs within a few weeks of finishing, that still seems to be the norm in Quito.

People tend to have problems when they get fussy about where they want to work, if you are determined to work in one of the surfer towns on the coast, or a smaller sierra town (including Cuenca) then yes, you will struggle to find work. But in Quito and Guayaquil, as long as you don't arrive in the middle of a vacation period, it shouldn't be a problem.

Don't expect to get rich though. Wink
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "Voracious Demand for English Teachers" in Ecu Reply with quote

[quote="groovebliss"]
esl_prof wrote:
Thank you for that information, esl_prof! While I appreciate my skepticism being validated, my hopes are now dashed that employers will be lined up at my door upon completion of the CELTA. Wink

As HLJJHLJ suggested, you should be able to find work. Just don't go down there with the same expectations you would have for China or Korea.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI Mexico is not in South America, but rather North America.
groovebliss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:
there's plenty of work in Ecuador IF you stick to the big cities. I did the CELTA in Ecuador a few years ago, and everyone on my course who stayed in Ecuador had jobs within a few weeks of finishing, that still seems to be the norm in Quito.

People tend to have problems when they get fussy about where they want to work, if you are determined to work in one of the surfer towns on the coast, or a smaller sierra town (including Cuenca) then yes, you will struggle to find work. But in Quito and Guayaquil, as long as you don't arrive in the middle of a vacation period, it shouldn't be a problem.

That job placement rate is reassuring! Thank you, HLJHLJ, for the insight and tips!

Would you mind sharing when the vacation periods are?

esl_prof wrote:
As HLJJHLJ suggested, you should be able to find work. Just don't go down there with the same expectations you would have for China or Korea.

Understood. I really appreciate your replies! Thank you.
groovebliss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
FYI Mexico is not in South America, but rather North America.

I didn't give any indication that I thought Mexico was in South America, so I'm not sure why you responded with this.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

groovebliss wrote:
Would you mind sharing when the vacation periods are?

In the Sierra they are as you would expect, we mostly run to the same schedule as the UK / USA. You have just missed Carnival, then Easter, July/August and Christmas/New Year. The new school / university year starts around September.

It's different on the coast, as they have the opposite school year.
groovebliss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the vacation information, HLJHLJ! That is interesting about the coast being on an opposite schedule.

Your and esl_prof's responses have eased my anxiety about quitting my job here in the U.S. and heading down to Ecuador to find work.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

groovebliss wrote:
Your and esl_prof's responses have eased my anxiety about quitting my job here in the U.S. and heading down to Ecuador to find work.

Just make sure you go down there with enough cash in hand to live off until you find work and are on the job long enough to get paid and, once you do find a job, to put a deposit down on an apartment and pay other start up expenses.

Please keep us posted on how things go!
groovebliss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
Just make sure you go down there with enough cash in hand to live off until you find work and are on the job long enough to get paid and, once you do find a job, to put a deposit down on an apartment and pay other start up expenses.

Please keep us posted on how things go!

Understood. I've seen your sage advice elsewhere on this forum about also making sure there's enough for a plane ticket home in case it doesn't work out. Shocked I've been saving and will hopefully have enough to get me through those initial expenses...after the cost of the CELTA course. It sure is expensive to get started in Latin America. I taught English in South Korea years ago, which was pretty much an all expenses paid experience. I'm very drawn to Latin American cultures and would really like to experience them for a while so I'm willing to undergo the expense.

That's kind that you care enough to ask newcomers to keep you posted. I will do that. Thank you again for all of the feedback.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: