Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Select Empolyment /TEFL R- In Turkey ( Improper Contracts)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup ... that's me.

And I don't know what the point of this thread is, honestly...
philotaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't approach these recruiting companies with a ten-foot pole, but they definitely seem to me to be the more reasonable party in this exchange.

Nice work!
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philotaster wrote:

Nice work!

.... if you can "get it" ...

(sorry, couldn't resist)
Redcar24

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Stop Trolling on this post Reply with quote

Look Mystery Train you don't even have a slight idea of what it is like in Turkey and it is obvious that you have nothing better to do than just talk Blah Blah Blah. I only have one question? and one request...

First are you a professional with a real job? and if so stop your riude trolling on my post if you need to make another point then make your own post and troll.

Ok! Enough this isn't your business so stop being rude to make a lot of comments for nothing.
billy orr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who live successfully in Turkey usually have or develop high levels of tolerance of ambiguity.

The exchange at the start of this thread is a good example of miscommunication. This can happen when someone, often a newcomer to Turkey, comes up against ambiguity and doesn't want to accept it.

I can see no evidence for the OP to claim that the agent was attempting to defraud. I am quite sure that the agent was placing the OP at a specific school, at the salary stated, in the accommodation at the address provided (twice). The ambiguities in the agreement are likely to be the result of incompetence rather than ill-will.

The OP seems to be hoping that a binding contract will provide protection from the employer not honouring the offer of employment, which would mean a lot of wasted money and effort by the OP. However, no matter how specific and accurate a contract is, an employer will be able to terminate the agreement in the first months if they find the teacher to be unsatisfactory. In many countries, employees are not protected by employment laws until they have completed at least six months of work.

Returning to the original exchange of emails, the miscommunication is sad, but these things do happen, particularly when people are new to Turkey.

The advice I would give to people in this kind of situation is:
1. Try to get as much detailed information as possible.
2. If the detailed information is not forthcoming don't push too hard, and just walk away if you feel the risk is too great.
3. Avoid accusations of dishonesty.
4. Avoid introducing points not directly connected with the job such as religion, or honesty or how things are done in other countries.
5. Deal directly with schools, not agents.
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Stop Trolling on this post Reply with quote

Redcar24 wrote:
Look Mystery Train you don't even have a slight idea of what it is like in Turkey and it is obvious that you have nothing better to do than just talk Blah Blah Blah. I only have one question? and one request...

First are you a professional with a real job? and if so stop your riude trolling on my post if you need to make another point then make your own post and troll.

Ok! Enough this isn't your business so stop being rude to make a lot of comments for nothing.

Wow, so many accusations / insinuations in one short post ... I'm a troll, I don't know nuttin', I've got nuttin' better to do, I MIGHT not be a "professional" with a "real job" ... in fact, I might be "living in a VAN, down by the RIVER!" Wink

My question would have to be, why exactly do my posts / comments in this thread get under your skin so much? (other than it seems to be a particularly thin one)

And, oh oh oh, it's not "for nothing" ... remember that I am a paid agent of S-E-L-E-C-T, that nefarious organization created solely for the purpose of causing misery and annoyance to YOU ... do not think therefore that my efforts go "un-remunerated". Professional? I'm the best!

My advice: admit to yourself that you may have been at least partly "wr-wr-wrong" about this one (your experience and interaction with this company / recruiter / rep, not me ... I don't really matter in this), and do some self-reflection ... I'm not even gonna touch the Muslim thing again. One either "gets it", or one doesn't.
billy orr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piece of advice number 6.

6. Avoid unnecessary arguments and get on with enjoying life in Turkey. And try to work on that tolerance of ambiguity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: