Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Expert Language School - Kaliningrad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reykjabik

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Expert Language School - Kaliningrad Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I have been trying to look for information about this school, Expert Language, but of course, as it happens with the whole Kaliningrad thing, it seems to be non-existent on the Internet. Apart from their website, I can't find any opinion or bit of information about them, so I was wondering whether some of you knew "someone who knows someone who knows... etc". I've been offered a teaching position for next academic year, and they do seem quite nice, but I'd appreciate any experiences about working there, or at least, living in the region.

Thanks in advance!
maruss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Kaliningrad Reply with quote

I went for a few days about 10 years ago and while the place is fascinating if you like history and exploring what was East Prussian Germany pre-WW2 it is also unfortunately notorious for various illicit activities and myriad social problems. Since Poland and then the Baltics joined the E.U. it's status as a Russian enclave has made things even more difficult for people living there and they now need transit visas to get out of it and go to other parts of Russia.
I don't think I have ever seen an EFL job advertised in Kaliningrad and cannot therefore give you any advice on living and working there but in view of the unique situation of the place and the fact that you are unlikely to easily find an alternative if things go haywire I would seriously recommend that you try to go there first and check things out in person before deciding, unless you are very lucky to get some reliable info. from someone who has already worked there? Presumably you also have a working knowledge of everyday Russian because the place is not exactly on the normal tourists route, although they do get Germans visiting who had ancestral ties with the area. If you do go please let us know how you get on as it would be very interesting.
Reykjabik

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do enjoy history, so in that sense I think Kaliningrad is a good place to be. However, I wouldn't like to stay in a dead place, and although I presume there must be some fun (pubs, concerts...) I'm worried that the place is too small and... boring?

My Russian is quite basic, just the sentences you learn by travelling several times to Russian-speaking countries, and actually this is the first time I step into Russia. But I don't expect the language to be a great obstacle because I do want to learn it, and I do enjoy learning languages.

Thanks for your answer! Let's see if someone else can add more information about the place or the school.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have not worked there, or lived there. Had a short trip there, though. Land that time forgot.

Just come over to Russia proper, if you want to learn the language. Or have something to do.
maruss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: I would agree with Sasha that it's in a timewarp... Reply with quote

The atmosphere of the place is quite unlike anywhere else I have been to in Russia, almost eerie at times- at Zelenogorsk people even told me that they avoid swimming from the beach there in summer because allegedly the remains of German soldiers from WW2 can be found at low tide!Apparently they were just hastily buried in the sand where they fell and not given proper graves?
There are also some lovely old German villas, some of which have been renovated while others are decaying and unkempt.
I wouldn't say that Kaliningrad is a dead place as far as there is quite a large population and whether you would get bored there depends largely on what your interests are? The main drawback might be not knowing Russian very well as you are not very likely to meet other expats who work there and if the job doesn't work out you would most likely not find anything else. In common with many other towns in Russia relieving boredom can be purchased with all the usual vices-and the risks that accompany them!
Until perestroika it was almost impossible for foreigners and even Russian non-residents- to get into Kaliningrad due to its category as a strategic military zone where the Baltic fleet was based so this might be an additional lure for anyone attracted to unusual places?
I would also be interested to read Sashas impressions?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: