Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University of Buraimi: An Academic dystopia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a.anas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candles,

I qualified my general statement in this way "but if one is to judge by places like UOB, then I am afraid that my assessment appears to be spot-on."

let me repeat again, any institution that fits the description of UOB as set forth in my article, then it would be an understatement to say that such institutions are not serious about education.

I know that the Gulf is rich in oil and it seems to prove to be a bane as opposed to a boon for them. but, i don't want to go off on that tangent. my main focus is on education in UOB and similar institutions.

Finally, you seem to be under the impression that I am from the west. I am from Sudan, which is a huge mess in every respect.
CANDLES

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't assume anything! As you were talking about the Arab World, I was 'generalising' about the West. As far as I can tell, then, unfortunately, you haven't had very good experience in Oman, Sudan et al. Shame!

"Rule of the thumb" - (mine) never compare a person to another, a country with another! Some are dumb, some are dumber!
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CANDLES wrote:
MG....

You're really negative aren't you? Are you saying that 'older' teachers are not really teachers?

Sincerely hope you're not 'old', 'unemployed' and wasting your time!

Have you always had problems with your reading skills? I said nothing of the sort, in fact it was you who patronized older teachers as doing the job just as 'something' to do. Am I old? Depends on your definition of old, I'm 58. Am I unemployed? Definitely not. Am I wasting my time? To a certain extent all teachers in the Gulf waste a lot of time due to the nature of the job.

Johnslat I agree but the system stops real teachers from really teaching, not the students.
a.anas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CANDLES wrote:
I don't assume anything! As you were talking about the Arab World, I was 'generalising' about the West. As far as I can tell, then, unfortunately, you haven't had very good experience in Oman, Sudan et al. Shame!

"Rule of the thumb" - (mine) never compare a person to another, a country with another! Some are dumb, some are dumber!

our subjective experience of the world is influenced by certain objective conditions. I have had bad experiences in UOB |(not Oman) and Sudan because these two places are objectively bad as evidenced by the subjective consensus of people in both places. Incidentally, teachers who I have spoken to and who have had experience teaching elsewhere in the Gulf have a more or less similar perception about other institutions within the Gulf.

While I agree that it does not make sense to compare a person with another person, I think it is possible to compare and contrast countries on the basis of their performance on a number of issues such as press freedom, happiness index, transparency international, gender equality etc... I believe that countries can also be compared on the extent to which they have life-furthering as opposed to life-thwarting practices. With such criteria in mind, we can compare Sudan or Saudi Arabia with Sweden and conclude that Sweden is far ahead of the two in many respects.

The world leaves a lot to be desired, but i still can't afford to by a cynic
CANDLES

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MG & A.Anas,

The world is not going to change - in fact it's going to get even worse!
The perfect world that you inhabit is 'out of reach' for most.

I am a great reader, older (not that much) and perhaps a little wiser and as a 2nd career, I found teaching both Saudis and Omani falling between enlightenment and pulling my hair out. I certainly wasn't doing this for the money, but for experience, and getting to see both countries. I don't think I was being facetious or undermining 'older' teachers: I was merely stating facts that for them it's still seen as interesting, and doable, rather than running after money.

The worst culprits (students) I believe are in the UAE, Kuwait and Doha, because they think they are better than everyone else, even the teachers.

I rest my case and don't want to get embroiled in comparison (ridiculous) between Sweden, Norway to Iran, KSA etc.... It's not likely to change so why waste my breath on it!

Education, human rights, health and the infrastructure have gone to pots with these people and money, status and nepotism is alive and well and have been for centuries and will carry on even when the 'black gold' runs out.
nicole2010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Education, human rights, health and the infrastructure have gone to pots with these people and money, status and nepotism is alive and well and have been for centuries and will carry on even when the 'black gold' runs out.'

1, While not perfect education in Oman has gone from three schools to 1000s in the last fifty years.

2. Health - Oman has free healthcare for citizens and modern hospitals. They import a lot of the healthcare professionals.

3. Infrastructure - While lacking in public transport, the roads, ports and airports are quite functional. The roads are well-maintained and go even to remote areas such as Jebel Ackdar. They are continually upgrading the infrastructure. Dubai has great infrastructure.

4. Human rights has a lot left to be desired, but there is a labour code and it is favourable toward employees. Considering slavery was outlawed only 40 some years ago, Oman has come a long way since then. Oman has a good track record with women having access to education and jobs.

5. 'money, status and nepotism' That is existing in most all cultures.
CANDLES

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God, there are other people posting on this thread!
I was getting a bit sick of negativity!

Yes, Nicole, I know! I was talking about the Arab world in general re: apathy etc..
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicole2010 wrote:

1, While not perfect education in Oman has gone from three schools to 1000s in the last fifty years.

2. Health - Oman has free healthcare for citizens and modern hospitals. They import a lot of the healthcare professionals.

3. Infrastructure - While lacking in public transport, the roads, ports and airports are quite functional. The roads are well-maintained and go even to remote areas such as Jebel Ackdar. They are continually upgrading the infrastructure. Dubai has great infrastructure.

4. Human rights has a lot left to be desired, but there is a labour code and it is favourable toward employees. Considering slavery was outlawed only 40 some years ago, Oman has come a long way since then. Oman has a good track record with women having access to education and jobs.

5. 'money, status and nepotism' That is existing in most all cultures.

I agree 100% with the above.

I don't see much comparison to a place like Sudan which has been mired in a Civil War for so many years and ruled by a more oppressive form of Islam.

VS
a.anas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no negativity in describing a certain objective reality. when I said Sudan is a huge mess in every respect, it is an objective reality. Similarly, when I describe education in UOB and similar institutions as a mess, it is also an objective reality. it is only when we recognize what is wrong can a remedy be found. it is with this in mind that i shared my experience in UOB with the ministry of higher education, ministry of labor, accreditation authority, and financial and administrative oversight authority with a view to getting them to intervene and straighten out the mess. I am trying to turn a negative experience into a positive.

I did not compare Sudan with the Gulf because Sudan is in a complete shambles.

Finally, let me repeat that education in places like UOB leaves a lot to be desired and requires a complete overhaul
CANDLES

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, did it work A.Anas? I doubt it!

It'll take perhaps another 20 +years for everything to change with the new generation.

I think you should move on and really hope you find a great job, wherever it is.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CANDLES wrote:
It'll take perhaps another 20 +years for everything to change with the new generation.

I agree. The first thing that needs to happen is for the oil to run out or become too expensive to extract to be worthwhile. Only when the 'oil bubble' economy has gone will there be a real incentive to actually study hard and work for real. The shock when this happens will probably result in civil unrest as the sense of entitlement will be swiftly challenged. I'm not just talking about Oman here...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually this is even more true of the rest of the Gulf than Oman. But it will hit Oman first, just as it was the last to develop (ignoring Yemen). There are actually Omanis with a work ethic though it tends to be the older generations and there has never been obscene amounts of oil income. The biggest issue at that time will likely be the lack of a Sultan who is able to pull the country together...

VS
a.anas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the ministry of higher education won't hush up the problems of UOB after they have been brought into sharp focus.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a.anas wrote:
I hope the ministry of higher education won't hush up the problems of UOB after they have been brought into sharp focus.

I fear your hopes will be cruelly dashed...
CANDLES

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOHE has a 'palace' full of complaints about UOB....from the time it opened up! Embarassed
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: