Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ostracized with a DL degree

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomas_pynchon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Ostracized with a DL degree Reply with quote

I have an MA Applied Linguistics & TESOL from Leicester, and just became aware of the DL ban in effect for the past year in the ME. I'm wondering what I might do about teaching in the ME in the future? I'll try to outline a few background details here, and any thoughts or related experiences would be appreciated.

Not so keen on going to Korea, but yes that would be an option.

I could do a one month CELTA, or DELTA, starting next month, 1600USD in Bangkok (where I am now). Unrelated Bachelor degree + CELTA, as far as I can see that would put me at the bottom of the pecking order.

Next Sept 2015, I am planning to do either a post-baccalaureate in education with K-12 certification in BC, Canada, or a Masters degree with K-12 certification in Toronto. That would give me the option to teach at an Int'l School (possibly in the ME), or perhaps in the Northern parts of Canada, or to teach as a distributed learning teacher in Canada.

I see that the better jobs in the ME seem to be for people with CALL/e-learning backgrounds and curriculum design, areas which seem to be growing very quickly, perhaps a good area to invest in?

Also, I have just completed a degree equivalency done by WES (World Education Service) in Canada, which is an internationally recognized standardization of what your degree would be equivalent to in Canada. I have the forms with grades, GPA, and courses listed. And TESL Canada is doing the same thing, providing me with a certificate (level 3 permanent) which is another effort to create an internationally recognized set of standards for TESL degrees and certificates.

And again I do also have a letter from Leicester 'attesting' that the campus and online delivery is equivalent.

Any thoughts on directions or what might be some possible options would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By DL, do you mean distance learning or an online degree? Saudi doesn't like them. In the UAE, the Ministry of HIgher Education has no problem with them. Oman used to accept them; are you saying that this is a new rule in Oman?

I doubt that most countries in the ME cares what Canada (or anywhere else) chooses to recognize as equivalent to some other degree. If they say they want a related MA - all done on campus - that is what they want. And yes, a new CELTA on top of an unrelated first degree will put you at the bottom... and likely only able to find any positions at all in Saudi.

My advice would be to go for the K-12 certification which would open up both International Schools everywhere and jobs within Canada.

VS
thomas_pynchon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks VS! Yes by DL I mean distance learning. Is there a distinction made between online and DL in the ME? My program required that I be teaching classroom at the time as many assignments required learning theory 'applied' to a teaching practice. I have 25 pages of detailed assessment of all assignments, and from my previous employer two classroom observation reports and over 3000 hours of certified teaching to adult learners.

Anyways, that is good to hear about the UAE, I'll see what I can come up with and post back to that forum.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think distance learning degrees are an issue in Oman. However Masters degrees are not recognised for pay purposes until you have 4 years post Masters award experience.
thomas_pynchon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, yes well I'm sure they do make exceptions in certain cases, we're not all bad apples, and it probably would be best to see where the rule is written and how it is defined.

A few years ago in Thai an offensive video appeared on utube and so utube was banned and blocked from being accessed in the country. Shortly after utube pointed out that you could block specific videos, you don't need to kill the cow to get the milk, or some such analogy...
thomas_pynchon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
I don't think distance learning degrees are an issue in Oman. However Masters degrees are not recognised for pay purposes until you have 4 years post Masters award experience.

Could anyone 2nd that? Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MA+4 is a rule of some of the Ministry jobs - apparently Muscatgary's Ministry. It is not true of SQU or most private colleges.

I just checked some current ads and TATI says 2 years experience and Hawthorne says 3 years... so that is not confirmed unless we have some teachers hired lately who had less than MA+4 and didn't get credit for their MA from various employers.

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
The MA+4 is a rule of some of the Ministry jobs - apparently Muscatgary's Ministry. It is not true of SQU or most private colleges.

I just checked some current ads and TATI says 2 years experience and Hawthorne says 3 years... so that is not confirmed unless we have some teachers hired lately who had less than MA+4 and didn't get credit for their MA from various employers. VS

Yes, sorry about that I was referring specifically to direct hires with the MOHE and MoM. I know for sure that the Colleges of Higher Technology are still very short of teachers for the forthcoming semester so worth applying to them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: