Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dangers in Russia due to current political situation?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coolguy123

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Dangers in Russia due to current political situation? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone present in Russia or thinking about teaching in Russia is worried about the current political situation in Ukraine?

I've heard different things from different people including, that Russia is a dangerous place to go to now and that it is becoming more anti-American (from Russians not in Russia). From that to, Russians love Americans and there are no issues at all (from people I know who live in Russia but also have an incentive for me to go over there as potential friends and colleagues).

So what's anyone's opinion here? Is it simply a political/media issue that has no bearing on individuals or could there possibly be some danger or a war that might affect the lives of expats living there?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No real danger to anyone here. No more anti-Americanism than usual either. The only area of concern might be with processing visas and the like, if diplomatic games get out of hand. But so far that too is much the same as ever.

I'd be more worried about potential economic effects than anything else. It isn't likely that a shooting war in the Ukraine will have much impact on lives here, but increasing prices will...

So, don't worry too much. Just come to Russia! Join the Party! Be part of the future of humanity!
spbefl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm here now and have been for several years. I can tell you that between the time I moved here and now, everything has stayed pretty much the same. No one here is worried about the political situation in Ukraine. I mean, perhaps concerned about the people there, but not worried that it will spill over here or something like that. Like Sashadroogie mentioned, the only thing that might become a problem is the visa processing issue.
Coolguy123

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, now there's a passenger airline shot down over Ukraine...

My concern is I got a job offer in area which is actually fairly close to the Ukrainian border...supposedly there's some possibility of war escalating in Ukraine. There's already sanctions and stuff being put on Russia, so my concern would be of something unexpected happening.
spbefl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps right next to the Ukrainian border isn't such a good idea. You seem to be having a lot of second thoughts, so maybe it's better if you try for Moscow or Saint Petersburg instead.
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...seems to be escalating there....?

You think?

I still own property there and wouldn't go back right now unless extraordinary circumstances presented themselves. That's either side of the border. Anyone who thinks this is over is accompanying the Russian people on their delusional walk down nostalgia lane with Vlad.

The friends I have there with adequate resources have gone home or pulled out to Cyprus, or SE Asia. A few are still there insisting this is nothing to worry about and a couple of others are quietly desperate as to how to get out.

Two fighters downed today, Russian artillery shelling Ukrainian positions, the PM resigned, Vlad is having a party....but some people are still planning trips and scheduling job interviews.

I hear Libya and Iraq have some openings.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
csdandridge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sasha,

What do you mean no more anti-American than usual? Is that to mean that you have to deal with a fair amount of anti-Americanism?
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is that to mean that you have to deal with a fair amount of anti-Americanism?

Laughing Pretty sure Sash isn't American;-) Many of us aren't, after all....
shovel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been living in Krasnoyarsk for 7 years teaching English. There have been no problems until recently. In May, the migration services did an audit of our school passing it off as routine. In mid-July, the FSB served a surprise visit and spent 10 hours going over paperwork and computer files. The officer took everything with him and gave us no return date. We asked him why, and he told us that there were orders from the top... Not sure what will happen next, but we're certainly on edge.
RussianWinter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it pretty safe, but I would recommend that you always have a backup plan just in case. Have some money for a plane ticket if needed, keep in touch with the embassy (travel warnings, etc) and keep alert to the news. However, the chance of running into trouble seems pretty low, especially if you're a good distance from Ukraine. As far as I know, none of my American/Canadian/British colleagues experienced trouble in relation to the political situation.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji41s-jLEUk
maruss

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: sounds like good advice? Reply with quote

another thing which has amazed me is how so many Russians seem to be have been taken-in by the Putin propaganda machine, despite so many being able to travel abroad and having access to various viewpoints on world affairs via the internet etc?
I have noticed this among Russians here in Cyprus too-most of them even think that the Americans were behind the people that shot-down the Malaysian airlines plane as part of a scheme to discredit Russia, rather than the Ukrainian separatists, and also say that all the trouble in the region is due to America selling arms to the Kiev regime because it is profitable etc!!!
They will not hear of it when you suggest otherwise so it seems that the best thing is to avoid discussing the issue with them, perhaps even more so if you are living there? I am also not at all surprised at what someone in Krasnoyarsk posted about the FSB.....they have a lot of nerds whose job is to weed-out anything they consider suspicious and can cause a lot of trouble for anyone they don't like for some reason-I know this from personal experience so be warned!
ecocks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked several of my Russian students why they blindly accept the "Russian side of the story" and dismiss a dozen other countries' media reports when they know Pravda, TASS and the other outlets have been feeding them misinformation and supporting the government agenda for decades.

Most say they are certain that the Ukrainians were shooting Russian speakers and swear there are tens of thousands of refugees on the Russian side of the border since Yankyurkovich fled. Crimea was theirs and they love that Putin repudiated the agreements of the Politburo from the 50s and the accords from the early 90s. They're equally certain that Putin is a hero who is working to restore Russia to their position as a major power and insist this is an American plot which is failing due to our weak leadership and failure to understand Russia.

They really have no answer when challenged logically. It cost me seven students though. In typical Russian fashion they simply disappeared and no longer respond to calls or emails.

Ah well onward and upward.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Coolguy123

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real issue is whether or not it would actually be safe in that region. I don't want to say exactly which area, but it's near Krasnodar. The area about 350 miles from the Ukrainian border.

People are saying now that there is a danger that the war could escalate and spread into Russia. Also, another concern is anti-american sentiment or actions directed towards non-russians near this region (this is discussed in the current US travel warning advising people to avoid areas directly next to the border).

I've heard Russians are supposedly good at differentiating citizens of a country from the politics of that particular country (US sanctions, etc.). However, I've also heard that there are a lot of Russians that are somewhat backwards and that there might be a risk of confrontation or remnants of cold war sentiment. What you are saying about people believing what they hear on the news and nationalism is troubling.

I've been assured that there would be adequate warning in this area should there be any escalation in the conflict and that 350 miles is a pretty far, safe distance and I would have the opportunity to leave in the off chance there would be any escalation.

However given the uncertainty I'm inclined to turn the position down since it seems a little too close for comfort to an area that's unstable, seems pretty difficult to assess the risk, and I really won't know until I get there what it would be like or how I'll be received, if there would be any danger of violence, or if I might have trouble leaving should it be necessary.

Any other comments would be helpful but I need to make a decision soon (within the next 2 days).

But overall it does seem iffy so I'm inclined to look elsewhere at the moment.
ecocks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YMMV

People keep going to Mexico...and a certain number keep disappearing each year.

Folks still take their yachts along the western coast of Africa for vacations...and end up with pirates on-board.

People were visiting Israel for vacations in the Holy Land...when Hamas began firing rockets...AGAIN.

Teachers kept taking contracts in Libya...and getting shot....and now are trying to evacuate.

Oh don't listen to the government or those p***ies who are afraid of their own shadows, what do they know?

But don't expect any sympathy when you're sitting in the airport, sleeping on the floor and rockets are coming in on the tower or you're in a queue behind 150 others to get train or bus tickets.

Do what seems smart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: