Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dangers in Russia due to current political situation?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonniboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
As for the excerpted original, I was agreeing with Maruss as to the blind acceptance of the Russian citizens.

I agree with you and Maruss on that and I get how frustrating it is. However, I don't think that uncritically accepting and parrotting what their media says is limited to Russian students. Also, there is a time and a place for everything and I don't think a language lesson is the place for that.

ecocks wrote:
Yet, I don't recall asking for any sympathy. It was a simple comment in the context of conveying the seriousness of the attitudes in Russia. I have better things to do than waste my time on students who are incapable of understanding things like law, logic, ethics, etc.

That's perfectly fine, but for their sake as well as yours, you need to make that clearer to the students when they sign up, else you're just wasting their time and yours. Look at it from their point of view, as they see it, they signed up to improve their language skills, but then wasted parts of the lesson listening to you rant about how their country's government is a shower of basstards and how they're idiots for not thinking critically. Doesn't sound like a winning formula to me.

If you're perfectly cool with them voting with their feet and can just brush it off, like water off a duck's back, great. But the fact that you're subsequently pursuing them with calls and emails suggests a lesson isn't being learnt by someone and I'm not sure that that someone is the student.
ecocks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonniboy wrote:
ecocks wrote:
As for the excerpted original, I was agreeing with Maruss as to the blind acceptance of the Russian citizens.

I agree with you and Maruss on that and I get how frustrating it is. However, I don't think that uncritically accepting and parrotting what their media says is limited to Russian students. Also, there is a time and a place for everything and I don't think a language lesson is the place for that.

ecocks wrote:
Yet, I don't recall asking for any sympathy. It was a simple comment in the context of conveying the seriousness of the attitudes in Russia. I have better things to do than waste my time on students who are incapable of understanding things like law, logic, ethics, etc.

That's perfectly fine, but for their sake as well as yours, you need to make that clearer to the students when they sign up, else you're just wasting their time and yours. Look at it from their point of view, as they see it, they signed up to improve their language skills, but then wasted parts of the lesson listening to you rant about how their country's government is a shower of basstards and how they're idiots for not thinking critically. Doesn't sound like a winning formula to me.

If you're perfectly cool with them voting with their feet and can just brush it off, like water off a duck's back, great. But the fact that you're subsequently pursuing them with calls and emails suggests a lesson isn't being learnt by someone and I'm not sure that that someone is the student.

As I said [repeatedly] it doesn't bother me in the least.

Weird.

I don't "pursue" anyone. When students disappear I attempt contact but once it was clear they were stopping all I am concerned about is paying off their final bill. My only concerns at the time were with regard to whether the time was available on my schedule and the bill was paid.

So much for the OP's question though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jonniboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
I don't "pursue" anyone. When students disappear I attempt contact but once it was clear they were stopping all I am concerned about is paying off their final bill. My only concerns at the time were with regard to whether the time was available on my schedule and the bill was paid.

Yeah, that's fair enough. I started taking a deposit off my privates as I had the nonsense with them disappearing without a word as well (nothing to do with political discussions. Wink) If they don't come and don't give me reasonable notice I take it out of the deposit. If they vanish, they lose their deposit. I'm sorry I didn't adopt such a policy earlier.

Regarding what you said though, another issue is that, even if they don't feel insulted, a lot of students just aren't interested in meaty political discussions, any more than you or I might be interested in discussing developments in quantum physics, Ukrainian literature, trends in nail art or which actor is shagging who. The first two can also help develop critical thinking, so who are we to say that politics, economics and social issues are where it's at? Nail art and celebrity gossip will be of interest to a lot more students, sadly.

Depending on the size of the market you're in, I'd say there's a reasonable chance you've lost more than seven students, as some potential private students will have been put off by the prospect of what you're (unofficially) aiming to do in the lesson with them. If you're not bothered by that, then good luck, but I rely a lot on word of mouth to get new clients, so it's not a road I'd go down. Each to their own.
maruss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Russian politics etc. Reply with quote

some interesting recent comments there!I would add that unless you are Russian and live there it is very hard to appreciate how people see this subject and why:especially since the second part of the Putin era,there has been no real politics in the way that we see them in the west because there is no effective opposition to the regime.Consequently most people don't care about politics,sensing that is a waste of time discussing them as they can do nothing about the situation anyway?I would agree with Johnny that people who pay for private lessons would most probably consider it a waste of their time and money,unless they had a special interest in it which they wanted to discuss with you?
Another reason,and more sinister, is that they have learned from tradition that delving into such subjects only stirs up trouble and fear is never far from the surface of the Russian psyche...also consider that you probably know nothing about your students lives outside the lesson,what problems they or their families have, or even who they or people close to them work for?
To relate my own example,in early 2006 I had an integration group of young adults with a firm I was freelancing for in Moscow.I will also admit that as a historical researcher I was using my free time there to meet people and discuss the Soviet era and also how Russia was developing politically in the 21 st C. etc.One evening I casually found a way to slip-in a barb about what happens when you call the emergency services there and how long they take to arrive etc?This lead to my target which was the way they virtually left people to die after the Dubrovka theatre siege in 2002 because they had no antidote to the unknown nerve gas which was used.......After the lesson one of the girls came to speak to me in private and asked me why I had made that specific remark about what was a very sensitive event,suggesting that such conversations are best held only in private and with persons who are known to be trustworthy.She then warned me that she knew that the father of one of the other students in the group worked for the FSB and that if she happened to mention it to him he might well ask someone to call my firm and investigate me etc!The consequences of that would almost certainly have been no more work from that company at the least?Luckily for me, nothing further happened at the time and the person who came to confide in me was also a friend of the daughter of the late and very well-known journalist, Anna Politkovskaya and admitted that she shared my concerns about the situation in Russia.This led to a subsequent meeting with Anna,for which I was obviously very grateful,although perhaps unsurprisingly, knowing her track record for exposing corruption and on Chechnya etc. my visit to her was duly noted and from what I have been able to ascertain since then, was the cause of me being banned from further entry to Russia indefinitely!The situation there back in 2006 was far more relaxed than it is nowadays and my sincere advice is to bear in mind that Russia is not like the west,especially concerning these subjects and also the rights of the individual etc.The FSB has absolute authority and can find ways of hassling and removing anyone that they decide is becoming a nuisance-this applies equally to foreigners and I known of other people they have caused trouble for.
ecocks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this [in the FSU] as well and agree it is a factor for some, maybe many, particularly in the over forty crowd. You can almost picture them looking over their shoulders to see who might be listening. Once I was a bit shocked that they seemed a bit concerned that the room might be bugged (at a corporate venue). If I worked in Russia proper in this current climate, I'd have to accept that it would be walking close to the edge.

Dealing with the Ukrainians it was much less of a worry though since the government was so disorganized they really didn't care about individuals expressing private opinions in the cafes. They were looking for different fish to fry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
maruss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: I can understand that! Reply with quote

In Ukraine you don't feel scared of the authorities in the way you do in Russia!The place is so dis-organised and corrupt but then there are plenty of other hazards such as pick-pockets and all the other risks associated with poverty stricken places,including dirt,delinquency and diseases,including those which you can pick up from various types of errant behaviour !Mind you the place has a certain charm and I met some really nice people there,despite all the problems...I really feel sorry for the mess they are in.
ecocks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I can understand that! Reply with quote

maruss wrote:
In Ukraine you don't feel scared of the authorities in the way you do in Russia!The place is so dis-organised and corrupt but then there are plenty of other hazards such as pick-pockets and all the other risks associated with poverty stricken places,including dirt,delinquency and diseases,including those which you can pick up from various types of errant behaviour !Mind you the place has a certain charm and I met some really nice people there,despite all the problems...I really feel sorry for the mess they are in.

Could be worse, you could own property there and wonder if you'll ever see it again.
maruss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: or much worse..... Reply with quote

......see your family and friends killed for no reason?
ecocks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: or much worse..... Reply with quote

maruss wrote:
......see your family and friends killed for no reason?

That too, but I'm still not seeing a full-blown war just yet. That said, one of my apartments is in the city where the Mayor was assassinated on the way to work a couple of weeks or so ago.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comrades, your thoughts and comments have been duly noted and filed. Thank you for your co-operation and forthrightness. The organs will be in touch with you presently.
ecocks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!

Keep your organs to yourself!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid that is not possible. The wheels of justice have cranked into action...
jonniboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Russian politics etc. Reply with quote

maruss wrote:
Consequently most people don't care about politics,sensing that is a waste of time discussing them as they can do nothing about the situation anyway?I would agree with Johnny that people who pay for private lessons would most probably consider it a waste of their time and money,unless they had a special interest in it which they wanted to discuss with you?

That's what I have found to be the case. My 2013/2014 academic year finished last month. I spent it on a special project, preparing Latvian civil servants for their forthcoming EU presidency. As someone who'd studied politics at Uni, I was rubbing my hands at the prospect of having some decent political discussions with the students, who are armed to the teeth with master's and PhDs and know all there is to know about the government.

To my huge disappointment, the majority of them weren't interested, even though there were a much higher proportion of students than normal with politics and social sciences degrees in the groups. They were more interested in improving grammar, writing and speaking for chairing EU meetings, welcoming visitors and so on. Sure, some of them would get really into the discussions, but most would be half-hearted and would only come to life when we got into more general or business English related topics. Confused

In the general population, who don't work in the political sphere, that tendency is amplified. Mostly, even if they are interested in politics, it's just not what they're paying for.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main issue here is when teachers get ideas that are not consistent with their role as language teachers. We are not here to help students think critically - whatever various people mean by that. Nor are we here to make them better people. Nor challenge them on any issues, especially regarding their own culture (which they know far, far better than the typical TEFLer's superficial experience of it).

Teach them English. That is the beginning and the end of it. The quality of the learner's mind is of concern only in as far as they can make language progress.
teacher X

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:

Teach them English. That is the beginning and the end of it. The quality of the learner's mind is of concern only in as far as they can make language progress.

Exactly.

I eat meat and I have drunken sex with random girls. My Russian teacher is a vegetarian and is all about the holiness of sex and how it should only be made with someone you love. I'm not in Russian class to be told what a dick I am (something I am already fully aware of) for screwing women whilst drunk. I also don't want to get into the moral issues of having animals killed just so I can eat a tasty lunch. I'm there to learn Russian!
Therefore I do tend to get a little impatient when I am forced into tedious conversations about things I really don't want to talk about.

So why some of you think that a Russian should listen to your views on Putin or whatever is beyond me. Do what you're paid to do and don't be confused when they kick you off for trying to preach to them.

Also, Maruss, I love you, but WALL OF TEXT! Paragraphs please.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: