Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary question..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Salary question.. Reply with quote

Is 14,750 pesos/month a good salary for Chiapas? It is a small town called Tuxcla, which I might be mis spelling. It says "before taxes", so I guess minus taxes Smile...if you know about what we'd pay in taxes that would help, too. (I believe that "before taxes" in a job ad is a great sign, because it means we'd get a real, legal work visa.) The ad doesn't say visa included/covered, but it says "insurance provided" and pays airfare, plus actually part of the salary is called a "housing allowance" (I just added both numbers) so I am guessing the visa is paid for..but if not and the fees aren't astromonical I could live with paying for the visa. To be honest--although I haven't checked how many pesos are in a dollar now-- a salary that large, roundtrip airfare plus insurance covered makes me think it might be too good to be true, so I'm checking on that, too. In 2008 or 2009 I got about 10,000 pesos in Irapuarto (maybe only 9000? it's been a while), but locals told me that was a low salary. I don't know how the two places compare in cost of living or if salaries have increased due to Americans staying away. I think Chiapas is dangerous, but one step at a time.. Smile. Is the salary plus airfare, insurance and (let's assume) the visa paid too good to be true, average/fair, or low? Thanks!
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Replying to myself :).. Reply with quote

I found another job on Dave's site that has a comparable package, but it was via a program that finds people jobs..so perhaps they advertise the best packages to get clients for their service. I am bilingual, I have an MA in ESL and I have several years of experience in Spanish speaking countries--so I should qualify for the higher caliber jobs.
mmarc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the housing allowance included in the 14,750 or is it in addition? Either way unless you have exorbitant spending habits it should be enough and is a fairly typical package - not too good to be true. Are you looking at ASF?
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: maybe Reply with quote

The salary is total.. the quoted salary plus the housing allowance. I just figured money is money Smile and added the two numbers together. I am not sure what I want to do yet and I haven't applied. I might have missed my chance, but if you have any information about the job (or the town) that would be great..thanks.
Rose Cohen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Salary question.. Reply with quote

lagringalindissima wrote:
Is 14,750 pesos/month a good salary for Chiapas? It is a small town called Tuxcla, !

Could it be Tuxtla Gutiérrez? If that is the case, it is not a small town but the largest city in Chiapas and the capital of the state, with a population of over half a million people.
mmarc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: maybe Reply with quote

lagringalindissima wrote:
The salary is total.. the quoted salary plus the housing allowance. I just figured money is money Smile and added the two numbers together. I am not sure what I want to do yet and I haven't applied. I might have missed my chance, but if you have any information about the job (or the town) that would be great..thanks.

I was offered a position with ASF in Tuxtla Gutiérrez several years ago but turned it down for a job elsewhere in Mexico. There were very nice in my dealings with them, but obviously it was limited. If you've been teaching abroad for awhile, though, you've had a range of experiences with different schools, and you can probably adjust to whatever the experience might be.

As far as safety goes I don't consider Chiapas to be dangerous. There have been some things in the news lately with people claiming to be Zetas and demanding money, but they were caught and... well, there are worse crimes to be found in Mexico. There's a good amount of tourism to San Cristóbal, too, and that wouldn't be the case if it were highly dangerous. Just depends on your comfort level and how you want to spend the next year of your life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: