Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone enjoy teaching in Mexico?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WantsToTeach

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Does anyone enjoy teaching in Mexico? Reply with quote

I have been through this forum and am having a hard time finding something positive. Anything?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone enjoy teaching in Mexico? Reply with quote

WantsToTeach wrote:
I have been through this forum and am having a hard time finding something positive. Anything?

I think the squeaky wheel gets the grease adage applies here. This forum isn't as busy as it used to be.

I love teaching/living here. Money would be better in other places, but money isn't why I'm here. Great food, great climate, dynamic and interesting culture (in my city at least)...I'd miss it a lot if I left.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
WantsToTeach

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank Goodness!!

From what I understand from reading through the forums, is that it IS possible to teach in Mexico without a degree. I have my TESOL, but it is 10 yrs old (no teaching exp., life changed direction) so that needs to be re-done. I am willing to do that in Canada or in Mexico.

However, I am now curious about a teaching diploma from Universidad Panamericana. Do I need a degree to take that course? I can't find any "requirements" information on the site, and thought I would ask here before I emailed them.

I will be selling my house, so start-up costs will not be a problem.

I know, I know, a degree is best, but that was just never in the cards for me.

I have been in PR and communications for 20 years, so split shifts actually sound like a dream - you get 2-4 hrs off in between 8am & 10pm?? (and yes, I only get paid for 7 of those hours).

I am over the partying stage of my life, and would be content to make enough to pay for food and a roof over my head. I am not looking to save for retirement or pay off my student loans. I love the Mexican culture and want to do something constructive with my life (or at least pretend to be, from what I have read about some of the classes).
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know lots of people who enjoy or have enjoyed teaching in Mexico, but all of them had degrees.

PR experience might be a niche you could exploit in the business English market to get around that.

What part(s) of Mexico are you interested in?

Oh and most people who don't actually like teaching in Mexico seem to be teaching teens, so maybe you ought to just avoid that. Wink

Good luck on the sale of your house.
WantsToTeach

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh teenagers . . . the same the world over Smile

I am researching locations right now. I really don't want anything north of
DF, but want to avoid tourist spots as well. I would prefer rural.

Does anyone out there know/recommend the TKT course? (in addition to CELTA?)
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKT is a piece of paper, nothing more. If you're doing the CELTA, that's all you need (to start). TKT is geared more towards non-native speakers looking to put a Cambridge stamp upon their lack of English skills and limited knowledge of pedagogy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone enjoy teaching in Mexico? Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
WantsToTeach wrote:

I think the squeaky wheel gets the grease adage applies here. This forum isn't as busy as it used to be.

I love teaching/living here. Money would be better in other places, but money isn't why I'm here. Great food, great climate, dynamic and interesting culture (in my city at least)...I'd miss it a lot if I left.

Yes, I agree! There are a few poster who seem to have made it their life mission to say anything negative about Mexico that comes to mind. I also loved teaching in Mexico. I think a lot of the negative posters also had few qualifications and so were only able to get bottom of the barrel jobs that were less than pleasant. I had a variety of jobs during the time I lived in Mexico City, and enjoyed them all. I still live in Mexico, but now work online, which allowed me to move to a very small town, where there really aren´t any jobs teaching English.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WantsToTeach wrote:
Thank Goodness!!

From what I understand from reading through the forums, is that it IS possible to teach in Mexico without a degree. I have my TESOL, but it is 10 yrs old (no teaching exp., life changed direction) so that needs to be re-done. I am willing to do that in Canada or in Mexico.

However, I am now curious about a teaching diploma from Universidad Panamericana. Do I need a degree to take that course? I can't find any "requirements" information on the site, and thought I would ask here before I emailed them.

You can work yourself into a good position eventually without a degree, but you also won´t be eligible to apply for a lot of the best positions. I highly recommend the Teacher´s Diploma at the Universidad Panamericana, I did that course my self and it is easily equivilent to a CELTA in terms of content, practice teaching, etc. In addition, it is recognized by the SEP (Mexican Education Secretary) so can get you in the door some places. Since you said you needed to get a cert anyway, you might as well get one that will put you in a good position to offer good classes. Another option might be to teach online in the evening and give private classes in the morning, or half a half time position of some kind.
FreddyM

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While no place is perfect, and I've been disgruntled about a few things, on the whole I enjoy it here. Over the years I've managed to see my salary increase and stress level decrease. I just recently quit my job in order to take another one with less stress and much more pay.
I paid off my apartment last year and am actually shopping for a new car right now. I couldn't be happier.

And I work in colegios with kids. Who'd a thunk it?!
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new job, Freddy!
bjbolich

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My time teaching in Mexico has been the highlight of my life. I taught in the states for 26 years, mostly high school and always loved my job. I went to Mexico for what was to be a 4 month volunteer teaching assignment and fell in love with the culture, country and most of all the people. I stayed more than a year, continuing to volunteer as an ESL teacher until a family emergency necessitated my returning to the states.

During this time my students ranged from ages 3 to 66. Parents were truly involved in their child's learning process and the students came to class smiling and never complained. Even about homework!!!

If anyone wants to know anything about these wonderful, gentle and kindhearted people - let me know. I felt like I was living back in a time when I was a child again, with corner Mom & Pop shops, fresh farm markets everywhere and Pharmacies about every 2-3 blocks (with a doctor in each one - no waiting and only 30 pesos - about $2.50).

I will return to Mexico as soon as I can as I want to surround myself with people who are so positive all the time and this beautiful country.
bjbolich

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My time teaching in Mexico has been the highlight of my life. I taught in the states for 26 years, mostly high school and always loved my job. I went to Mexico for what was to be a 4 month volunteer teaching assignment and fell in love with the culture, country and most of all the people. I stayed more than a year, continuing to volunteer as an ESL teacher until a family emergency necessitated my returning to the states.

During this time my students ranged from ages 3 to 66. Parents were truly involved in their child's learning process and the students came to class smiling and never complained. Even about homework!!!

If anyone wants to know anything about these wonderful, gentle and kindhearted people - let me know. I felt like I was living back in a time when I was a child again, with corner Mom & Pop shops, fresh farm markets everywhere and Pharmacies about every 2-3 blocks (with a doctor in each one - no waiting and only 30 pesos - about $2.50).

I will return to Mexico as soon as I can as I want to surround myself with people who are so positive all the time and this beautiful country.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bjbolich wrote:

I live in a town like that now, and it is great
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone enjoy teaching in Mexico? Reply with quote

WantsToTeach wrote:

Well, you said it yourself, not many positive posts from most posters about living/working in Mexico. Laughing

Sure, if you have been in Mexico for 10 years and you got some angle worked out, it can be OK.

Yeah, let's see, you can teach out of control kids in a colegio Question

Or travel for hours all day long to teach biz classes in DF, good luck with all the protests and street blockades which make life even more fun.

Rural areas? Sure, $400USD for some school in the sticks. Mad

Uni's? Many of these pay lower salaries than the colegios do. There are a few good places, but of course, good luck getting a job at one of those handful of schools. Rolling Eyes

Look at the payrates of the lanaguage school chains in Mexico, just go ahead and look at what was posted 5 or more years ago for wages... Question

Now check what the current payrates are Shocked

Not much difference? Confused

Just the cost of living has gone up and wages haven't. Surprised

As far as my students were concerned, many of them became good friends. And I did enjoy most of MY classes, even in the colegios Razz Twisted Evil
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone enjoy teaching in Mexico? Reply with quote

WantsToTeach wrote:

Just check and see how many people are still in Mexico after 1 year? 3? 5?

Starvation wages, nepotism, the drug war and brutal levels of all forms of street crimes & violance aren't really worth staying around for, unless you just love to ride the metro for fun and stroll around Tepito after dark Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: