Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA-am I failing?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baa_baa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: CELTA-am I failing? Reply with quote

Hi!

Is there an assessor in the house?

I have completed 9 TP s (I will be doing the 10th after tomorrow, and received to standard however I failed 3 assignments and passed on one assignment.

SO though I can teach, I won't be able to pass. Is this true? I still can't believe it.. Does anybody know?
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your trainers will be the best source of info on this.
I know that trainees are occasionally given second-shots at some types of assignments, if their overall work is solid.
baa_baa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I got resubmission and failed again. I did as they said but then they told me the points were general that I had to look over the whole thing. Something like that. For an example in the first assignment he said explain why I chose the worksheet. SO I DID, thoroughly. Then he says but this worksheet is not actually suitable. You did not convince me therefore I need to fail this assignment.

My mouth just dropped. Then why didn't you say so.

Here's another one. In all my reading for gists and details I was successful and had received to standard with positive feedback. Then I decided to choose this skill and write about. My teacher said you need to go over it and make sure of your steps. So I took out the paper SHE passed out and rewrote it. Then she said the staging is wrong, that's why I had to fail you. I showed her the paper she gave me but that did no good.

I don't even want to talk about the last assignment. OMG!

I was a quite obedient student. I was too scared to piss them off yet the result is the same.

So much time, so much effort, so much much money- it's not like it came from the sky...

Sigh. I really appreciate your reply.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For an example in the first assignment he said explain why I chose the worksheet. SO I DID, thoroughly. Then he says but this worksheet is not actually suitable. You did not convince me therefore I need to fail this assignment.

My mouth just dropped. Then why didn't you say so.

Hmmm. I might also have asked a trainee to explain why s/he chose some element of a class I didn't think worked well. S/he might have had some reason that wasn't clear to me, but which should be considered in my decisions about the overall lesson.

This approach works with students as well - for example, if a student has missed out a vital element in a paper (a thesis/purpose statement, for example), I will ask if it's in the paper, and if so, where. Sometimes they are clear that they didn't do it, but occasionally students have made an effort to meet the requirement, but due to wording or something it wasn't clear to me.

It would be unfair to make a final judgement in cases like these without asking for the trainee's (or student's) input first, but their explanation wouldn't necessarily qualify as a pass.

I'm sorry you've had a hard time, but hopefully you'll be able to get enough information from your trainers to at least understand what things went wrong for you.
baa_baa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I'll keep what you said in mind. We all have different ways of thinking. Maybe I should talk to her. Should I ? I don't know what to do specifically that it seems that I VE failed. I don't want to beg. I worked too hard for that.

The result is not final, would anybody know if I have a chance to pass??? Please?
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest that you talk to the trainer - rather, ask a few good questions and then listen to her answers.
Maybe along the lines of 'could you clarify to me what exactly went wrong with.....' and/or 'Overall, are there some things I can do now that will allow me to pass.'

You may have a chance, of course, particularly if most of your work has been ok. A little open-mindedness on the part of a trainee in asking for clarification, advice, and etc. can go a long way. The ones that usually really fail are those who can't/don't listen and make visible (and reasonably successful) efforts to apply what they've been told.
baa_baa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
The ones that usually really fail are those who can't/don't listen and make visible (and reasonably successful) efforts to apply what they've been told.
Embarassed

Ok.

I wasn't really negative. I was more like ok sir! I'll do that and that. Anything else. I will do as you said. I wasn't really negative. But then give you a black eye if it doesn't work. Noo just kidding. I can't do that. I really do hope it works. There's nothing really left.

Ok thanks for being a pal. I appreciate it. I'm going to sleep good night good friend.

Baaaaaa
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you need some of that "paper bag therapy." Wink

I hope you're still able to enjoy most of your summer holiday.
baa_baa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol yea, isn't life sweet?

Thanks! This is almost over. 3 days to go. Then I'll have 20 days of peace and quiet then it's back to the kingdom. Never ending cycle.
Hope your well and things are better at your end. Very Happy
CANDLES

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was doing my CELTA, one of the assignments was self assessment, which the teacher decided to fail me on???? After questioning her I asked how was that possible, when I had written both negative and positive sides and how I was going to try and improve myself.

The witch merely shrugged. I think eventually all them got fired...
baa_baa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi candles. I like your candle. It's moving- therapy.

Yes they are terrible. I took spirals advice. But still no change. So I kinda blew up at both of the trainers. And demanded to have a meeting with the assessor. They told me he was here yesterday. I said so. So now they will arrange a meeting let's see what happens.

I looked at the other assignments and caught 3 people who were given 2 resubmissions they don't know that I know that. In one of my assignments my trainer said the staging was wrong. I have a sheet that I followed which SHE gave me. I'll show that as well. So I won't be talking but I'll be showing him these papers which hopefully should work but then if the assessor turns out to be a scumbag then there isn't much that can be done.

Tomorrow will be my last TP. I hope it goes well. Today I listened carefully on what I have to do and let her write just in case she decides to be unfair tomorrow as well then I can say see this is in your own writing. I really hope everything goes well tomorrow.
CANDLES

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck! Very Happy

Some of the students were diabolical, but if the teachers liked them, then they passed with flying colours, even though the length of the assignments far exceeded the words (numbers) and their lessons were boring.

I had too much TTT (I knew this, but if no SS is answering then what is the solution). Anyway, thankfully I passed. I sincerely hope I NEVER bump into those wretched teachers: God help them! Evil or Very Mad
baa_baa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know the sad thing is that the female trainer was an aerobic teacher. She took this course and became not only an EFL language instructor but a celta trainer as well.

I don't understand how these people were highered if there's no BA. The teacher herself told us. I was like OMG.

I'm glad you passed *looks at you with envy* I hope I pass as well. I'm so close yet so far. Well I look like a fail unless the meeting goes well tomorrow.
CANDLES

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately same way as they hire teachers to teach in the Middle East! You have English, speak English, so you must be an English Teacher! Shocked
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
had too much TTT...

Too much TTT is an ab$olute $hit charge when dealing w/kaleeg Arabs!

They ABSOLUTELY hear what they want to hear and constantly mishear homonyms and like-sounding words.

Native speech/pronunciation is what they lack. They don't read...they don't write...they just talk...and listen...incorrectly.

The more comprehensible input...with frequent comp checks...is the only way to teach this note-taking hating bunch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: