Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking of Germany

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJKliks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:03 am    Post subject: Thinking of Germany Reply with quote

I’m a veteran teacher coming back to the world of EFL after a 10-year break. (Geez, I hope I’m not too old ☺)

I’ve been around this forum enough to read what goes on. Before people put in all the negative aspects of the profession, let me say that I taught overseas in several countries for 14 years, so I think I have a pretty good sense of the EFL world as a whole. I’m not in the this for big money. That said, I want to return to EFL teaching because it’s about doing what I do best, doing something that gives me great satisfaction, and enjoying a greater balance between work and life. I’ve worked a number of dull, poorly paid jobs back here in the States, so for me the clear alternative is to return to a life as an EFL instructor.

My EU-member wife and I are planning to return to Europe next year to start a new life. We’ve been thinking about Germany. Basically, I’m trying here to get a sense of what I might be able to expect as a non-EU citizen looking for EFL work in Germany. With 14 years of EFL behind me, a Bachelors Degree (in East Asian Studies) + a CELTA, and an intermediate level of German, what can I realistically expect? I’ve already started the homework, and I’m coming to the conclusion that it’s kind of case-by-case. Some schools seem to prefer EU-only, while others are willing to hire non-EU citizens. Some are part-time and/or freelance only, while others are willing to offer full-time contracts. I’m curious to know what anyone has to offer. Thank you in advance.
JN

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know your case, but from the little you say, sounds like you'd have a chance here in Germany. You may or may not need a lot of savings and not sure what kind of registration, visa problems, etc. you'd have, as you didn't say much.

I don't know how much an East Asian Studies degree would help, but at least you have a CELTA. If you've been teaching in Asia all 14 years, then it's different here, as has been mentioned.

Work is mostly free-lance. I'd not recommend Berlin, though you can give it a try. There's been a lot of information previously mentioned. You can also check out Toytowngermany for info on living here in Germany, renting, getting insurance, etc.
CJKliks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JN wrote:
I don't know your case, but from the little you say, sounds like you'd have a chance here in Germany. You may or may not need a lot of savings and not sure what kind of registration, visa problems, etc. you'd have, as you didn't say much.

I don't know how much an East Asian Studies degree would help, but at least you have a CELTA. If you've been teaching in Asia all 14 years, then it's different here, as has been mentioned.

Work is mostly free-lance. I'd not recommend Berlin, though you can give it a try. There's been a lot of information previously mentioned. You can also check out Toytowngermany for info on living here in Germany, renting, getting insurance, etc.

Thank you. I should've mentioned that I was not in Asia the entire 14 years. Part of that time, I taught in the Czech Republic (1.5 years) and in Poland a little more than 5 years. My wife is Polish, so she's an EU-member citizen, and she's planning to look for work (not EFL, of course) in Germany. Why not Berlin? I'd think there'd be a lot of work there. Or perhaps better, some smaller towns in eastern Germany.
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Berlin where most of the work would be? I'm an American citizen hoping to find a teaching opportunity in Berlin.
JN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience, and also hearing this from others, is that there are too many English teachers in Berlin for the demand that exists there. You may get lucky and find enough work there to survive, but that would probably depend on quals, experience and contacts.
CJKliks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. Honestly, I'd prefer a smaller town, especially one of the ones in eastern Germany. My wife, however, thinks she could get good work in Berlin, hence my decision to tary looking there... But if anyone has any suggestions and/or contacts for places like Leipzig, Halle, Dresden, etc., please let me know. Thanks!
CJKliks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Start* looking, not tary... Very Happy
Shaytess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Where's the teaching? Reply with quote

Berlin is indeed already pretty full of qualified people searching for work, although it is possible to find some. The issue with Berlin is that there's no real industry like in Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Munich, Hamburg, etc. where Business English teaching pays significantly better and there are a lot fewer native speakers around. Cities in the former East like Leipzig and Dresden also face the issue that there is just not as much international business going on - hence less of a need and demand for English teaching. Of course it is possible to teach General English and not Business English, but the pay and conditions teaching Business English are often much better - business language training is huge in Germany.

In general, it can be difficult to find teaching work while you are still overseas, as schools don't generally like to interview teachers who are not actually in Germany. Perhaps it makes sense for you to come over for 1-2 months and try to line work up, and then have your partner join you? That way if it truly is not working out, you won't have relocated the both of you for nothing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: