Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting documents apostille while overseas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BocaNY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Getting documents apostille while overseas Reply with quote

Hello,

I need to get some documents apostille. Now I have been traveling for two years and have not been back in the US nor am I planning on going back. My question is I have read that the CELTA needs to be done by the UK embassy. Is this true or can I have it done by my local state? Also I need to get a background check. Is it possible to do this overseas? Anyone have experience in trying to get these documents while overseas and not having them on you? Any help would be great.

Cheers
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An apostille and the criminal background report are required for whiat target country?

Last edited by nomad soul on Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you now? CELTA's could be apostilled by a British Council office, never heard of an Embassy doing this. After the apostille it may need attestating but this is usually by the Embassy of the country that requires the proof or if you are in that country then by their equivalent of a Foreign Office.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your CELTA has to be apostilled by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office in the UK, because it's a UK issued certificate. Nobody else can apostille a UK document.

Before it can be apostilled it needs to be either validated (the British Council can usually do that for you, if you have an office locally) or notarised by a UK registered notary (your local British embassy can help with that).

Once it has been either validated or notarised it will be forwarded to the UK FCO to be apostilled and then sent back. It's not a quick process.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apostille is usually from the country of origin of the document or an Embassy/Consulate of that country.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The USA will Notarise and then apostillise COPIES of your docs.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:

Same in the UK as long as a notary public has stamped and signed the copy.
BocaNY

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. it's for Moldova. I am currently traveling and don't have any of my documents since I have them all scanned to send to jobs. That's the problem I am not planning on going back to the US before I get a job just plan on leaving from the country I am in.

MuscatGary wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:

Nautregirl ..so the US will apositllise my a copy of my CELTA? & MuscatGary the is the same true for my uni degree from the US in the UK?

Does anyone know how to get a US background check without being in the US?

Also do you get to keep the apostillise docs or well this need to be done every time a job requires it?
. Question Question Question Neutral
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BocaNY wrote:
it's for Moldova. I am currently traveling and don't have any of my documents since I have them all scanned to send to jobs. That's the problem I am not planning on going back to the US before I get a job just plan on leaving from the country I am in.

Nautregirl ..so the US will apositllise my a copy of my CELTA? & MuscatGary the is the same true for my uni degree from the US in the UK?

Does anyone know how to get a US background check without being in the US?

Frankly, I doubt you'll be able to get your visa requirements done without physically being back in your home state.

Anyway...

- See HLJHLJ's post about having your CELTA apostilled.

- Contact your university about having your diploma apostilled.

- In terms of the criminal background report, you need first find out if the visa requirements specify a CBR at your local/police level, your state's bureau of investigations, or from the FBI. Not all police departments do them but will refer you to the appropriate agency. Either way, depending on your state, you may be required to provide a copy of your fingerprints for the CBR.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BocaNY wrote:
MuscatGary wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:

Nautregirl ..so the US will apositllise my a copy of my CELTA? & MuscatGary the is the same true for my uni degree from the US in the UK?|

As far as I know the documents have to be processed by the country of issue.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate post

Last edited by HLJHLJ on Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BocaNY wrote:

so the US will apositllise my a copy of my CELTA?

No, only the UK FCO can appostille it.

If you were in the UK you could get a notarised copy made and get that apostilled. However, most UK embassies will not notarise a copy of an educational certificate, only the original (but check with them, as some will). And as far as I know the BC can only validate the original.

Either way, they would still need to see the original as well. They won't work just from a copy.

You should get the apostilled documents back once they are done with them.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:
BocaNY wrote:

so the US will apositllise my a copy of my CELTA?

No, only the UK FCO can appostille it.

If you were in the UK you could get a notarised copy made and get that apostilled. However, most UK embassies will not notarise a copy of an educational certificate, only the original (but check with them, as some will). And as far as I know the BC can only validate the original. No, they will do a copy but it costs more and they MUST see the original and your passport.
Either way, they would still need to see the original as well. They won't work just from a copy.

You should get the apostilled documents back once they are done with them.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US will notarise a COPY of your docs but they will need to see the original. So you have two choices. You can do that in person or use signnow.com and pay 15 bucks. After you get it notarised then you can get it apostillised. This is going to be for a COPY. I've had mutliple docs from foreign countries done. They were all copies though. It's fairly straightforward. No probs. you just have to see if your employer will accept apostillised copies.

For the FBI check again super easy. Print off the docs online and head to a police station. In the USA they'll charge you. My state is 20 dollars. California is 50. In Korea it's free. Get a couple sets taken. I like the ruler method rather than the method where they put the paper in the desk. Then they'll send it to someone in the USA. If you have famiky or friends who can help then great. Otherwise you'll have to use an agent. Then they send it to the Dept of State and then it gets sent to you after they apostillise it.

As far as your American degree getting done in the UK I have no idea. But I can tell you for the USA you'll have no issues getting copies Notarised and then apostillised. I've done my own docs and docs with other peoples names in them. It's doesn't matter. All the notary is saying is that it's a true copy. They're not stating that the doc is legit.
BocaNY

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the information. I hope NY state will apostillise a degree from FL. I just want to make sure I have this all straight. Once I get it done I won't have to do it again if another job asks for it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: