Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American Marrying a Brit; Where am I Allowed to Work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
texasisthereason

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: American Marrying a Brit; Where am I Allowed to Work Reply with quote

Hello All,

Don't know if this has been covered before, and the search engine isn't working on my end.

I am an American marrying a Brit this summer--- I have done some research and it appears that after applying for a visa - - I am allowed to work within the UK. My question is, am I also able to work throughout the EU?

Has anyone been in a similar situation---if so--- any insight to obstacles or pitfalls would be appreciated. The visa advisory in Birmingham made it sound extremely straightforward and simple.

Thanks in advance,

texas
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK, your spouse will have to earn a certain amount of money before you'll get the relevant visa to stay.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be able to work in an EU country where your UK citizen spouse has (prior) secured a job. On your own, as a spouse of an EU citizen, highly unlikely.
texasisthereason

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information guys----my fiancee has a job in England and meets the salary requirements in order for me to obtain a visa. I was curious if I could secure a job at an international job within the EU a year or two down the line -- most jobs in EU countries ask that you have the right to work within X country--- I did not know if my work visa would fall under that umbrella.

Thanks again.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EU citizens have the right to work and live in other EU states. The right to work of family members MAY be restricted unless they too are EU citizens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: