Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

summer camps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdickun83

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: summer camps Reply with quote

What is the best country to look for a summer camp job? I'd like to make at least enough to cover living expenses. When is the best time to apply too?

I am a certified teacher in the us and have from june to late aug off.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHINA CHINA and C H I N A !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: summer camps Reply with quote

mdickun83 wrote:
What is the best country to look for a summer camp job? I'd like to make at least enough to cover living expenses. When is the best time to apply too?

I am a certified teacher in the us and have from june to late aug off.

China is about the only place where their "summer" coincides with your summer. Most other countries in Asia are NOT in sync with the US academic year so your "summer break" happens during their academic year.

The bad news is that any "camp work" you get in Asia won't come with a proper visa and is unlikely to cover airfare. You'll basically earn between $1000-1500 (in the local currency) for the month-6 weeks of your time.

That that means is that you are basically donating your time to cover airfare and have no time left for your vacation and "cultural experience". You also get stuck with your own visa and other costs.

jm21

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap...people work a month at a summer camp for $1,000 usd? For a month?? That's insane. That's gotta be the crappiest job I've ever heard of. I thought the good ones paid more like $1k per week.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jm21 wrote:
Holy crap...people work a month at a summer camp for $1,000 usd? For a month?? That's insane. That's gotta be the crappiest job I've ever heard of.

Laughing Razz Laughing

My first job in EFL was way over 40 teaching hours per week and I made about $850 per month...
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jm21 wrote:
Holy crap...people work a month at a summer camp for $1,000 usd? For a month?? That's insane. That's gotta be the crappiest job I've ever heard of. I thought the good ones paid more like $1k per week.

If you were "in country", didn't have visa issues to worry about and were legal to take a job then yes, "camp" jobs can pay in the $700-1000/wk in places like Korea and Japan.

If you are sitting in your living room in the States, have no visa and no legal status to work (so working as an illegal migrant) then $1000'month is pretty standard fare in the north.

Wages in the rest of East/SE Asia are only about $1000/month for your average EFLer so why would a "camp" pay more? There are lots of fresh, new faces flying in to do the work every year after graduation.

TEACHING, on the other hand, for properly qualified and experienced teachers is another matter. Decent international schools pay well, cover expenses and have nice benefits packagers.

jm21

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know other countries pay less. Sorry, got caught up in the China comment and forgot about the rest of Asia.

I would think summer camps should pay more because you're usually stuck in one place, have to sleep on or near the location, etc...it's a bigger ask. But yeah, probably hard to get sometimes if you are out of country.
kurtz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a "teacher" with only an ESL qualification, here is what I can tell you.

Try Vietnam. Some of the main schools run camps. Look at Apollo, ILA and LLV, but these days I think the schools are trying to cut costs by using teachers already employed by the schools themselves.

I have first hand experience in Vietnam of a good package; airfares taken care of, bonus, good hours, visa taken care of, but those days may have ended.

The term "camp" doesn't necessarily mean you're out in the middle of nowhere. In Asia, it just means running short courses in the summer break.

Good luck.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for an adventurous, off the EFL backpacker beaten path summer camp EFL job why not try Papua New Guinea. You can teach the Highlanders (Formerly Cannibals) English so they can communicate with western tourists. The benefits and rewards are outstanding...and you get to experience eating"Long Pig"....a real HUMAN delicacy!!! Shocked
kurtz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
If you are looking for an adventurous, off the EFL backpacker beaten path summer camp EFL job why not try Papua New Guinea. You can teach the Highlanders (Formerly Cannibals) English so they can communicate with western tourists. The benefits and rewards are outstanding...and you get to experience eating"Long Pig"....a real HUMAN delicacy!!! Shocked

Yupela tok pekpek Cool
bograt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

British Council in Hong Kong run one every year. This is the ad from last year.

https://jobs.britishcouncil.org/ViewVacancy.aspx?enc=mEgrBL4XQK0+ld8aNkwYmIiVZ1hwo0DYXlthXpxE+X3ZAATQYORQfQHJA5uq8euBrsoEqdP8Rjj1VS6cozyMiQ==

If you taught 36 hours a week you could potentially make around 6,000 dollars in 3 weeks. Not bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: