Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Giving up residency in the US
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BocaNY

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
BocaNY wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:
[
Really? I've met plenty.

Really, at least not any my age or from America. I have met 20 year olds who think that.

How old are you?

I'm in my mid 30's but everyone thinks I'm under 21. The people I met Americans or others tend to be around 25. I guess I need to change the places I hang out at.
coder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete

Last edited by coder on Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also: Be sure you know what you're doing if you go this route. It's extremely complicated. For example, no one's mentioned that you have to be a citizen of another country (or be eligible to become a citizen) BEFORE you renounce your US citizenship. Otherwise, you'll be a "stateless" person unable to go anywhere.

Also, I believe you have to be OUTSIDE the US to go through this procedure. You can't renounce while inside the US.

Yes, it's fairly obvious that you need some other citizenship:-)

The procedure takes place at the US embassy or consulate in the country of ones' other citizenship in most cases; I don't know if it can be done elsewhere.

It's not likely to be seen as a huge burden to be outside the US when one wants to give up US citizenship, frankly. That is rather the point, after all Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:

It's fairly obvious that you shouldn't be living in a war zone,nearly potential war zone or you need a related degree for EFL jobs, but sometimes the "obvious" need to be explicitly stated to our brethren...
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I see exactly what you mean, 5th., but nevertheless some people probably shouldn't leave home, either. And likely those types won't be able to work through the applying-for-other-citizenship paperwork anyway. I mean, it usually requires learning the local language to a proficient level, among other things:-) Oh, as well as possibly being required to serve in the military of your new country.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fifth Column wrote:
spiral78 wrote:

It's fairly obvious that you shouldn't be living in a war zone,nearly potential war zone or you need a related degree for EFL jobs, but sometimes the "obvious" need to be explicitly stated to our brethren...

So true! But we shouldn't expect too much thanks for taking the time and trouble to make what is obvious to those who know more explicit for those who don't know. Take for example the repeated surprise from non-EU posters that they can't just board a plane and land a dream job in Rome, Paris, or London. So obvious. So much need to clarify for the 'brethern' : )
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one mistake I've seen too many teachers make is thinking that what's obvious to them must also be obvious to their students.

It's probably safest to consider that nothing's "obvious." Very Happy

Regards,
John
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:

The procedure takes place at the US embassy or consulate in the country of ones' other citizenship in most cases; I don't know if it can be done elsewhere.

It's not likely to be seen as a huge burden to be outside the US when one wants to give up US citizenship, frankly. That is rather the point, after all Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

It IS kind of a pain for me because I have to travel a good distance to get to the nearest embassy. And the people have been far less than polite as well. But oh well. It IS complicated though, you don't just walk in and say, hey, I'm done with you gringos.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Well, one mistake I've seen too many teachers make is thinking that what's obvious to them must also be obvious to their students.

It's probably safest to consider that nothing's "obvious." Very Happy

Regards,
John

Dear Johnslat

Probably true. But where do we draw the line? What level of knowledge can we assume to be shared? How low can we go?

I admit, I sometimes give in to despair when I ponder this too much. Drives me to drink, hic!

With Communist greetings

Sasha
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:

It IS kind of a pain for me because I have to travel a good distance to get to the nearest embassy. And the people have been far less than polite as well.

Say WHAT??? Are you intimating that US consular officials abroad (assuming yer a 'Merican) wouldn't pi$$ on you if you were on fire?!?

Surely, you jest! Laughing
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fifth Column wrote:
BadBeagleBad wrote:

It IS kind of a pain for me because I have to travel a good distance to get to the nearest embassy. And the people have been far less than polite as well.

Say WHAT??? Are you intimating that US consular officials abroad (assuming yer a 'Merican) wouldn't pi$$ on you if you were on fire?!?

Well, I guess they just don't like the idea of someone renouncing their citizenship. They asked me the same questions several times and not always worded in a polite way. But I am halfway there so might as well finish the job.
The Fifth Column

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
The Fifth Column wrote:
BadBeagleBad wrote:

Well, I guess they just don't like the idea of someone renouncing their citizenship. They asked me the same questions several times and not always worded in a polite way. But I am halfway there so might as well finish the job.

BBB...they're simply not there for YOU. They don't like doing their jobs! "You" don't even enter the equation!

ALL US missions abroad are, simply-put, glorified trade missions. If they sense that, by you treading their hallowed halls, you are simply a "No Sale" proposition, then you are simply in their way...

What sux is the way they don't even attempt to hide their contempt & disregard for 'Mericans abroad.

Recently, I learned of a "supervisor" who is going to the State Department.

With his "cold-as-fish" mannerisms, he'll fit in just fine...
hash

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving up one's US citizenship is a disastrous mistake, mostly done as a "political statement" and ultimately with roots in a preening narcissism. It is definitely not an "acceptance" of a certain reailty....it's a turning away from reality into a fantasy land. Most people who contemplate and go through with such an event live to regret it mightly. Just to mention 2 things.....

.....you give up all rights to Medicare. Of course, if you live overseas that doesn't matter since Medicare is invalid overseas anyway. But if you're a US citizen living overseas you could reenter the US at any time and get US medical care anywhere in the country. You can't do that as a non-citizen.

......you lose around 25% of any Social Security benefits you may be entitled to. They make it easy, though. SSA will simply withhold that amount from each of your monthly checks you are sent. And I don't need to mention the trouble with 1...getting these checks (by mail? haha) 2.....cashing these checks if you're overseas.

These may sound like distant worries if you're around 25 years old. The old adage (again with roots in narcissism) "I'm never going back to the US....E V E R .....rings hollow come middle age and beyond. It's probably the most broken "self-promise" in the books second only to marriage vows.

My point is: Ok, live overseas the rest of your life...no problem. But don't give up your citizenship. That's foolish. Suddenly as a new citizen of another country, you'll find yourself under the laws of that state......and God knows what kind of plans THEY have for your meager SS monthly check.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Giving up one's US citizenship is a disastrous mistake, mostly done as a "political statement" and ultimately with roots in a preening narcissism. It is definitely not an "acceptance" of a certain reailty....it's a turning away from reality into a fantasy land. Most people who contemplate and go through with such an event live to regret it mightly. Just to mention 2 things.....

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Sheik Yerbuti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with hash completely, but I would say it is more asinine than
disastrous. I imagine anyone contemplating it has no chance of
qualifying for SS, as many of the new breed of ESL teachers will never
come close to putting in the 10 years required at a real job that is the SS threshold.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: