Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Check last post made... (Skype interviews for Spain)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaxa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Check last post made... (Skype interviews for Spain) Reply with quote

I hold an EU passport. Currently doing my TEFL course should be completed by September.

I have some teaching experience with young learners and youth work with kids etc etc.

What are the best websites to find work?

I use TEFL.com and ESLemployment.com

They make me apply through their websites though and not directly with the recruiter or school.

Any other good websites I should be using? I can only find 4 positions on Daves job site which are all from the same company and want me to pay for TEFL with them and then they find me work.

Too expensive though seeing as I am getting funded for my TEFL here in the UK for 120 hours.

Cheers.

Last edited by Vaxa on Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most jobs in Spain are not found from abroad. Come over in September and interview in person; you'll probably find something.
Vaxa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see lol Being on the poor side I was hoping to get a job before coming over.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlikely. There are lots of teachers around and it's unlikely that a reputable school will need to take any chances on someone sight-unseen.
Insubordination

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it's definitely not the norm, I got a job in Spain sight unseen from one of the sites you mentioned. I had a phone interview (in Spanish!) and was hired on the spot. I wasn't too far away in Germany and flew to Spain a week later. I think the director was desperate because it was a small-ish town and my predecessor had done a runner over Christmas. Turned out to be a great job.

However, I would follow the advice above and just hit the streets. There are some scams about and some horrible companies too. Plus my job was a several years ago. It's more competitive now.
Vaxa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been offered a teaching position in China but would much rather go to Spain to be honest...

Found a couple more websites and have sent off about 20 applications so hopefully hear something back from them.

And in reference to spiral's comment I would imagine they would then just have a Skype interview.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral:
Quote:
There are lots of teachers around and it's unlikely that a reputable school will need to take any chances on someone sight-unseen.

Vaxa:
Quote:
And in reference to spiral's comment I would imagine they would then just have a Skype interview.

A Skype interview is still no guarantee that you're going to
1. show up
2. on time
3. look overall as they expect

They really just don't need to take a chance when you've got live competition standing in their actual offices.

I have done hiring over the past decade in Europe, and we wouldn't base any real contract for a full time position on a Skype interview, unless the candidate had really stellar qualifications and references.
SirKirby

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% with Spiral - especially if we're talking places like Barcelona and Madrid.

Outside the main cities (and that's not just BCN and Madrid), you MIGHT find it easier to get a job without being in Spain as, there, the competition for vacancies is way less and schools may find it virtually impossible to attract applicants.
Vaxa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info guys.

I am going to be in Spain come the end of September in Majorca. Do you guys reckon I should look out a few schools when I am over there then.

Do you know how majorca is for schools?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As most job contracts are Sept/Oct thru June, you'll want to basically be ready to start when you come over. Last I heard (a couple years ago) Majorca was a very small EFL market and difficult to find a place. May have changed.
Vaxa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice 1 buddy thanks for the info appreciate it.
jonniboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaxa wrote:
I see lol Being on the poor side I was hoping to get a job before coming over.

Not gonna happen, sorry to say. I've 11 years experience, 3 of them in Spain, decent Spanish and CELTA and CELTYL and I know from the market down there that the best I would get would be an invite to a face-to-face interview as soon as I arrive. No school in September will hire someone from abroad who may not show up in the end, when they have tonnes of bodies already there on the ground, especially in your case where you have 0 years experience. When you're there with local address and local mobile number, then they're willing to talk.
Vaxa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I have 3 Skype interview dates for 3 different schools which seem to be interested in me after all.

Can anyone tell me what to expect with these conference calls?

I know the that the ones I did with China recruiters are a breeze and pretty much offer you a job on a plate. Anyone have experience with these type of Skype interviews in Spain and what to maybe expect?

Thanks guys.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to find out how these went, given that it's honestly not a standard for a reputable school to do Skype interviews (really, truly!).

Are any of them 'recruiters'?
Do any of them request that you send them money for 'placement' or for any other reason (scam!)?
Are the schools in rather remote locations (in which case they are likely legit)?

Please do let us know the outcomes - it will be useful for others as well.

I don't do Skype interviews unless the candidate has some sort of really outstanding qualifications, but maybe can give you a few tips:

They should probably ask you something about your reasons for wanting to teach in Spain (obviously not a good idea to talk about parties and sunshine and etc., so think of some higher-level reason:-)).
They will likely want to know something about your teaching philosophy (always useful to reply along the lines of 'motivated to support the success of others/students', and 'interested in genuine communication').
They may ask you to describe how you would teach a particular grammatical structure to a specific type of students (depends on the school and whether their clients are adults or children what kind of details).

Questions you should ask:
Typical working hours (split shifts are normal).
Working days (Saturdays?)
Paid holidays?
Most teaching at school or in businesses/other locations?
Student cancellations (typical to be paid if cancellation is 24 hours or less)
If travel is involved (to business students) does the school provide travel passes?
Accommodation support? Types? Distance from school/students?

***** contact current teachers directly?
Vaxa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks spiral for the reply.

They are directly with the schools and not through agencies apart from 1.

No money is being asked upfront (At least that I know of yet)

What I can tell you is that they are in more rural areas of Spain, one of which I have been told is an hour outside of Barcelona.

They are generally strictly Spanish areas with not much foreigners. I wouldn't mind that anyway however I would like to sulk in the culture on my own and hopefully pick up on the language also! If need be I am only an hour away from the more expat areas I guess.

I will let you guys know how they go as they have been scheduled for tomorrow now.

Thanks for the tips Spiral.

I need to mention as well that of them is not a school and is actually an after school type thing. And however many hours I teach (Freelance contract or something?) Then they pay me for it when I let them know. I am unsure how it fully works though so would need to ask.

Anything to get my foot in the door right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: