Site Search:
 
Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Biggest TEFL Lie That Is Never Put In Writing...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Juice



Joined: 09 Jun 2014
Posts: 66

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: The Biggest TEFL Lie That Is Never Put In Writing... Reply with quote

"A TEFL CERTIFICATE IS ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED TO TEACH IN CHINA"

My agent tried like hell to sell me a $3,000 TEFL course and kept insisting that a TEFL certificate was a mandatory requirement to teach in China. But when I asked her to send me something in writing to confirm what she (Michelle Zhang) was talking about, she changed the subject.

About a week later she told me she could save me $2,000 and just sell me a fake TEL certificate for $1,000. I almost fell for it but told her I would talk with her about after I arrived in China. Luckily I learned fro teaching colleagues in Beijing she was just trying to hustle a few bucks from me.

Anyone who tells you that you must have a TEFL certificate to teach in China should be avoided like a one-eyed skanky hooker with AIDS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Banner41



Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 656
Location: Shanghai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also people who have admittedly have been deported because they don't know how to follow rules should be ignored because they lack the simple life skills like reading comprehension. Stay far far away from these types of people. The victim mentality preached over and over gets tiresome and becomes more background noise than actual help. No matter how many posts appear on this is doesn't help the simple fact of coming to work on the right paperwork is the right way to do it. No one is going to help unqualified teachers "union up" and change the system.

Don't follow the rules? Get deported? your bad.....don't try and drag everyone else down with you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_Kong



Joined: 15 Apr 2014
Posts: 349

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Biggest TEFL Lie That Is Never Put In Writing... Reply with quote

Juice wrote:
"A TEFL CERTIFICATE IS ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED TO TEACH IN CHINA"


It is at a lot of schools.

My school, for example, will not hire anyone to teach English as a foreign language without an education degree, or if they don't have an education degree (which most don't) then they must have a teaching English as a foreign language certificate.

Your really stretching the limits of everyone's patience and showing yourself to just be an obsessed cry-baby.

Get help. Professional help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kungfuman



Joined: 31 May 2012
Posts: 1747
Location: In My Own Private Idaho

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do some part time work at a kids training school. I was gone for three weeks on vacation and when I returned I noticed that all Chinese teachers now had TEFL certificates in the demo room.

All fakes.

Printed up at the school.

fakes,fakes,fakes...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
maxand



Joined: 04 Jan 2012
Posts: 318

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kungfuman wrote:
I do some part time work at a kids training school. I was gone for three weeks on vacation and when I returned I noticed that all Chinese teachers now had TEFL certificates in the demo room.

All fakes.

Printed up at the school.

fakes,fakes,fakes...


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R48KMbOOR-A
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_Kong



Joined: 15 Apr 2014
Posts: 349

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Biggest TEFL Lie That Is Never Put In Writing... Reply with quote

Juice wrote:
"A TEFL CERTIFICATE IS ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED TO TEACH IN CHINA"

My agent tried like hell to sell me a $3,000 TEFL course and kept insisting that a TEFL certificate was a mandatory requirement to teach in China. But when I asked her to send me something in writing to confirm what she (Michelle Zhang) was talking about, she changed the subject.

About a week later she told me she could save me $2,000 and just sell me a fake TEL certificate for $1,000. I almost fell for it but told her I would talk with her about after I arrived in China. Luckily I learned fro teaching colleagues in Beijing she was just trying to hustle a few bucks from me.

Anyone who tells you that you must have a TEFL certificate to teach in China should be avoided like a one-eyed skanky hooker with AIDS.


Blah blah blah blah, whine whine whine whine.

Enough of this garbage, we've told you on other forums, yes it is required by a large number of schools.

When your filling out the online portion of an application for a foreign expert certificate there is even a section solely for TEFL/CELTA certificates.

It may not be required everywhere in China, but it is required by any reputable school (in my opinion), unless the person has an actual degree in education.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kungfuman



Joined: 31 May 2012
Posts: 1747
Location: In My Own Private Idaho

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxand wrote:
kungfuman wrote:
I do some part time work at a kids training school. I was gone for three weeks on vacation and when I returned I noticed that all Chinese teachers now had TEFL certificates in the demo room.

All fakes.

Printed up at the school.

fakes,fakes,fakes...


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R48KMbOOR-A


Seinfeld always makes me smile Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
LongShiKong



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 1072
Location: China

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: The Biggest TEFL Lie That Is Never Put In Writing... Reply with quote

Juice wrote:
"A TEFL CERTIFICATE IS ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED TO TEACH IN CHINA"

My agent tried like hell to sell me a $3,000 TEFL course and kept insisting that a TEFL certificate was a mandatory requirement to teach in China.


It's not a lie. It's a law but China practices very selective law enforcement.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Buckeye Bob



Joined: 11 Aug 2014
Posts: 71

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Biggest TEFL Lie That Is Never Put In Writing... Reply with quote

LongShiKong wrote:
Juice wrote:
"A TEFL CERTIFICATE IS ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED TO TEACH IN CHINA"

My agent tried like hell to sell me a $3,000 TEFL course and kept insisting that a TEFL certificate was a mandatory requirement to teach in China.


It's not a lie. It's a law but China practices very selective law enforcement.


I have mostly been a spectator here at ESLCafe for the last three years, but I cannot stay quiet while ignorant people (or possibly a TEFL course sales rep) spreads false information to hundreds of people.

THERE IS NO LAW IN CHINA THAT MANDATES HAVING A TEFL CERTIFICATE TO TEACH!

Further, as someone who has been teaching in China since 2007, I would wager that less than 5% of expat teachers working in China today have a TEFL certificate.

And the guy who said that a TEFL certificate takes the place of a university degree has his head up his butt. YOU MUST HOLD A 4 YEAR UNIVERSITY DEGREE TO TEACH IN CHINA ON A Z VISA. The Z visa is what is mandatory to be legally employed in China.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SH_Panda



Joined: 31 May 2011
Posts: 452

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Biggest TEFL Lie That Is Never Put In Writing... Reply with quote

Buckeye Bob wrote:
LongShiKong wrote:
Juice wrote:
"A TEFL CERTIFICATE IS ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED TO TEACH IN CHINA"

My agent tried like hell to sell me a $3,000 TEFL course and kept insisting that a TEFL certificate was a mandatory requirement to teach in China.


It's not a lie. It's a law but China practices very selective law enforcement.


I have mostly been a spectator here at ESLCafe for the last three years, but I cannot stay quiet while ignorant people (or possibly a TEFL course sales rep) spreads false information to hundreds of people.

THERE IS NO LAW IN CHINA THAT MANDATES HAVING A TEFL CERTIFICATE TO TEACH!

Further, as someone who has been teaching in China since 2007, I would wager that less than 5% of expat teachers working in China today have a TEFL certificate.

And the guy who said that a TEFL certificate takes the place of a university degree has his head up his butt. YOU MUST HOLD A 4 YEAR UNIVERSITY DEGREE TO TEACH IN CHINA ON A Z VISA. The Z visa is what is mandatory to be legally employed in China.


You are absolutely right about the TEFL certificate. It is not needed by law to get the Z visa.

However you are wrong about the degree needing to be 4 years. 3 years is fine too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Buckeye Bob



Joined: 11 Aug 2014
Posts: 71

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Biggest TEFL Lie That Is Never Put In Writing... Reply with quote

SH_Panda wrote:
Buckeye Bob wrote:
LongShiKong wrote:
Juice wrote:
"A TEFL CERTIFICATE IS ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED TO TEACH IN CHINA"

My agent tried like hell to sell me a $3,000 TEFL course and kept insisting that a TEFL certificate was a mandatory requirement to teach in China.


It's not a lie. It's a law but China practices very selective law enforcement.


I have mostly been a spectator here at ESLCafe for the last three years, but I cannot stay quiet while ignorant people (or possibly a TEFL course sales rep) spreads false information to hundreds of people.

THERE IS NO LAW IN CHINA THAT MANDATES HAVING A TEFL CERTIFICATE TO TEACH!

Further, as someone who has been teaching in China since 2007, I would wager that less than 5% of expat teachers working in China today have a TEFL certificate.

And the guy who said that a TEFL certificate takes the place of a university degree has his head up his butt. YOU MUST HOLD A 4 YEAR UNIVERSITY DEGREE TO TEACH IN CHINA ON A Z VISA. The Z visa is what is mandatory to be legally employed in China.


You are absolutely right about the TEFL certificate. It is not needed by law to get the Z visa.

However you are wrong about the degree needing to be 4 years. 3 years is fine too.


Actually I should be more specific because you are linking the TEFL certificate to a Z visa. THERE IS NO LEGAL REQUIREMENT TO HOLD A TEFL CERTIFUICATE IN CHINA FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER, AND IT CERTAINLY IS NOT A MANDATORY REQUIREMENT TO TEACH.

For the fellow who said "Many schools require a TEFL certificate", I would ask him to link a source as I did a google search just now with the search words of "China teaching job TEFL certificate required". Out of some 19,000+ schools in China that hire foreigners only 17 popped up in my Google search.

Also you are right, I should not have said "4 year university degree" since you can currently get a bachelors degree in 3 years in some states and provinces.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_Kong



Joined: 15 Apr 2014
Posts: 349

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Biggest TEFL Lie That Is Never Put In Writing... Reply with quote

Buckeye Bob wrote:
SH_Panda wrote:
Buckeye Bob wrote:
LongShiKong wrote:
Juice wrote:
"A TEFL CERTIFICATE IS ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED TO TEACH IN CHINA"

My agent tried like hell to sell me a $3,000 TEFL course and kept insisting that a TEFL certificate was a mandatory requirement to teach in China.


It's not a lie. It's a law but China practices very selective law enforcement.


I have mostly been a spectator here at ESLCafe for the last three years, but I cannot stay quiet while ignorant people (or possibly a TEFL course sales rep) spreads false information to hundreds of people.

THERE IS NO LAW IN CHINA THAT MANDATES HAVING A TEFL CERTIFICATE TO TEACH!

Further, as someone who has been teaching in China since 2007, I would wager that less than 5% of expat teachers working in China today have a TEFL certificate.

And the guy who said that a TEFL certificate takes the place of a university degree has his head up his butt. YOU MUST HOLD A 4 YEAR UNIVERSITY DEGREE TO TEACH IN CHINA ON A Z VISA. The Z visa is what is mandatory to be legally employed in China.


You are absolutely right about the TEFL certificate. It is not needed by law to get the Z visa.

However you are wrong about the degree needing to be 4 years. 3 years is fine too.


Actually I should be more specific because you are linking the TEFL certificate to a Z visa. THERE IS NO LEGAL REQUIREMENT TO HOLD A TEFL CERTIFUICATE IN CHINA FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER, AND IT CERTAINLY IS NOT A MANDATORY REQUIREMENT TO TEACH.

For the fellow who said "Many schools require a TEFL certificate", I would ask him to link a source as I did a google search just now with the search words of "China teaching job TEFL certificate required". Out of some 19,000+ schools in China that hire foreigners only 17 popped up in my Google search.

Also you are right, I should not have said "4 year university degree" since you can currently get a bachelors degree in 3 years in some states and provinces.


First of all, calm down, your being too dramatic 'guy who's so enraged that he's clearly not Juice'

Obviously you have issues with reading comprehension.

What I said was, and I quote “It is required by a large number of schools, when filling out the online portion of an application for a FEC there is a section solely for TEFL/CELTA“ (note here I'm not saying it's required by law, just that there is a section for it on the online application because of how prevalent they are for schools to require and applicants to have).

Then I said, once again "It is at a lot of schools." Perhaps an overstatement, I admittedly am relying on my own observation pursuing job ads and based off of the other schools in the city I'm in. What I should've said is "It should be required at every school". My apologies for the error.

You clearly don't understand how internet searches work, there's no way you can do a google search to check what your trying to check, a better idea would be to sample the job ads posted on specific sites, but even then some may not list the TEFL requirement right off the bat.

Maybe the people you hang out with are unqualified to teach in China, which is why you think only 5% have a TEFL or equivalent? Just a thought.

Once again, reading comprehension is very important, I never said it takes the place of a university degree, you need to be more careful in your reading. ”It may not be required everywhere in China, but it is required by any reputable school (in my opinion), unless the person has an actual degree in education.“

I understand this may be hard for you to follow, but what I'm saying is if you don't have an education degree (i.e., you have a non-education degree) then, in my opinion, it should be required by any reputable school.

I know reading can be tricky, but try to be more careful in the future.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SH_Panda



Joined: 31 May 2011
Posts: 452

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Biggest TEFL Lie That Is Never Put In Writing... Reply with quote

Buckeye Bob wrote:
SH_Panda wrote:
Buckeye Bob wrote:
LongShiKong wrote:
Juice wrote:
"A TEFL CERTIFICATE IS ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED TO TEACH IN CHINA"

My agent tried like hell to sell me a $3,000 TEFL course and kept insisting that a TEFL certificate was a mandatory requirement to teach in China.


It's not a lie. It's a law but China practices very selective law enforcement.


I have mostly been a spectator here at ESLCafe for the last three years, but I cannot stay quiet while ignorant people (or possibly a TEFL course sales rep) spreads false information to hundreds of people.

THERE IS NO LAW IN CHINA THAT MANDATES HAVING A TEFL CERTIFICATE TO TEACH!

Further, as someone who has been teaching in China since 2007, I would wager that less than 5% of expat teachers working in China today have a TEFL certificate.

And the guy who said that a TEFL certificate takes the place of a university degree has his head up his butt. YOU MUST HOLD A 4 YEAR UNIVERSITY DEGREE TO TEACH IN CHINA ON A Z VISA. The Z visa is what is mandatory to be legally employed in China.


You are absolutely right about the TEFL certificate. It is not needed by law to get the Z visa.

However you are wrong about the degree needing to be 4 years. 3 years is fine too.


Actually I should be more specific because you are linking the TEFL certificate to a Z visa. THERE IS NO LEGAL REQUIREMENT TO HOLD A TEFL CERTIFUICATE IN CHINA FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER, AND IT CERTAINLY IS NOT A MANDATORY REQUIREMENT TO TEACH.

For the fellow who said "Many schools require a TEFL certificate", I would ask him to link a source as I did a google search just now with the search words of "China teaching job TEFL certificate required". Out of some 19,000+ schools in China that hire foreigners only 17 popped up in my Google search.

Also you are right, I should not have said "4 year university degree" since you can currently get a bachelors degree in 3 years in some states and provinces.


... and in the UK.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LongShiKong



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 1072
Location: China

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Why was I reading TEFL and thinking degree? Embarassed

Perhaps because there's NO LAW ANYWHERE SAYING YOU NEED A TEFL certificate to teach EFL.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bud Powell



Joined: 11 Jul 2013
Posts: 1736

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the fellow who said "Many schools require a TEFL certificate", I would ask him to link a source as I did a google search just now with the search words of "China teaching job TEFL certificate required".

Apply for several jobs in China. Indicate no education beyond secondary school, no TEFL certificate, and zero experience teaching. See how many offers you get.

Whether the law requires formal education in the form of a degree or a TEFL certificate is irrelevant. Employers want educated teachers, not numpties who have been flipping burgers for two or three years and driving trucks.

Nobody is accorded a right to teach in China. Those who teach in China do so because they have been invited. Invitations are extended to those who can demonstrate that they have something worth paying for.

Again, China is not the Land of Milk and Honey. It's not a free ride. If you've always dreamed of living abroad and teaching English in China, but you find that you cannot, it's because you've just been dreaming. Education is not the profession for instant teachers.

Wake up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2016 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Teaching Jobs in China
Teaching Jobs in China