Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

English Language Company, Sydney

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goldenfrost

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: English Language Company, Sydney Reply with quote

Can anyone who knows this school or worked there tell me about their experiences and them in general?
Insubordination

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About four years ago, they were 'capping' the teachers' salary steps. That means they didn't want to pay any experienced teacher higher than step 'X' and tried to make new employees sign something to agree. Since this is probably illegal, I should hope they don't do it now and that the union got on to them. It shows a lack of respect for staff. They took full advantage of a saturated teaching market. ELC wasn't lacking for students or in danger of going out of business either.

At ELC, there were a lot of overseas (British/Irish) teachers on low steps. There were not many older teachers on higher steps. I'm pretty sure I was about the oldest one there and I was 35! This is typical of the profit-chasing ELICOS industry. Truly good schools have a mix of staff.

There were a lot of demanding and serious European students, so stay on top of your grammar if you're teaching the higher levels. The textbook they used for some courses (Natural English) was not my favourite.

However, as long as they pay you properly and you're not trying to make a career out of it, I would work for them. They expect a pretty high standard of teaching, which is a good thing. The timetable was flexible and the atmosphere was reasonable- if a little stifling. It feels like a rabbit warren in there and there wasn't a lot of humour about the place. I suppose that could have changed.

They like teachers to brand all photocopies and self-created resources with the company logo. It was pretty amusing considering they flouted copyright laws in terms of itunes and didn't pay some of their staff the salary step they had earned. Again, this was around 4 years ago.

I've heard the owners are nice, but I've never met them. Honestly, it's one of my least favourite places that I've worked at in Sydney, but by no means the worst. I would still recommend it, but wouldn't work there again myself. The location is good at least.
ESLAUST

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a funny old place.

Reasonable academic reputation, but as the poster above says...kind of dry and humourless. They turn over a LOT of teachers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: