Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL market in Ukraine still alive?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyivkyiv

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the pay here is too low given how much revenue a good teacher can generate. The numbers you quoted seemed pretty accurate based what I've learned from networking.

IH Kyiv has upped their salaries for the 2014-2015 year and are currently paying far more than anyone else. From what everyone says about salaries this year: IH >> BC > LSE.
Bratan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in an update on the situation (for ESL teachers) in Ukraine now.

I really liked Ukraine when I visited a couple of years back, and would love to work there one day. I wrote to some schools a month or two back and they said they didn't have any vacancies until the autumn. I was kind of surprised because I imagined there would be a bit of a teacher drought at the moment, unless they're just making do for the rest of the academic year.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contracts for the overall region are usually Sept/Oct thru June, with little going on in July/August. It's quite likely that very few schools would take on someone now, even if you don't consider the overall situation in the country at the moment.

Frankly, I suppose quite a lot of things are effectively on hold right now. We send some teachers to Ukraine usually for spring semester, but their university classes have been canceled for the duration and we've had to re-direct almost all of them.
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher drought coupled with student drought doesn't bode well.

The word I hear is that people are more worried about paying for groceries, keeping out of the military and hanging onto their jobs than investing in English lessons.

A lot of people have been wiped out financially due to the exchange rate disaster and bank instability.

I know two people still in there teaching and they're saying that corporate business has dropped considerably with privates a bit thinner on the ground. Both say that they've lost long-term privates in the last few months and had problems replacing them.

Be sure you know what you're getting into. It's not post-war Italy or Germany but while real estate is much cheaper, food is much higher and transport is up a bit as well.

I own apartments and have a ton of family there but I'm not even remotely thinking about going back anytime soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ManOfTwoLands

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone with updates?
1Sapphire1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been back in Ukraine since April. What do you want to know?
ManOfTwoLands

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1Sapphire1 wrote:
I've been back in Ukraine since April. What do you want to know?

What is the market like for teachers right now? Do you have a sense that there's a glut or a shortage of teachers? Some of the schools posting adverts online are offering wages equivalent to a few hundred dollars a month. Is that pretty standard? I understand that the Ukrainian Hryvnia has fallen significantly but...still, the wages seem really low if the online ads are anything to go by.

What is the general mood among teachers over there right now? Generally happy? Are there visa issues? Are teachers doing visa runs? I'm an EU citizen.
Partizan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from the traffic here and lack of replies, I would say that the English market in Ukraine is as dead as the proverbial Dodo.

Unless you want to work 40+ hours a week for around $500 a month for the 'Ukrainian experience'. Laughing
nodgar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it still possible in the Ukraine to walk in and get hired... (even at this time of year)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Ukraine All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: